F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Could a BMW/F30 junkie live without sport seats?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
If you had the hard choice of picking Luxury Line over Sport Line, would giving up just the sport seats defeat the purpose of getting a RWD BMW?

Reason I ask... I've been tempted to buy a BMW Luxury. Exterior wise its a draw on the two.

Interior wise, I find myself wanting the burl and no red stitched seats of the luxury line. Yet those amazing Sportline seats.

As an aside, lets not include M sport as an option if you can. Rather, is there life in a luxury line after you've experienced sports seats?

Thanks for any input.
I was torn, too, between Luxury and Sport.

I was replacing an E90 330i and, at the end of the day, decided that since ZSL offered a square tire setup (important to me for cost reasons) I would try the Sport line.

Now, I'd never go back. Those seats are wonderful, amazing, astonishing. They make the car.

Many people think that Volvo makes the best seats in the business. I used to think so, too. My wife's XC60 seats are so comfortable we've done 400 miles in a day without nary a cramp.

But on a recent trip from Boston to NJ in my F30, my wife blurted out, "These are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in a car."

While I think a RWD ZSL is the ultimate F30 (sorry, M Sports fans, but there's just too much bling in that package and too little M) for a bunch of reasons, now that I clocked 6K miles in those seats I realize I'd pay the $1700 for the seats alone.
Sport seats need to be an option on modern, base and luxury! Great post!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Sport seats need to be an option on modern, base and luxury! Great post!
In Canada, sport seats come standard on all 335i and they are an $800 option for non-Sportline 328i.
      03-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
While I think a RWD ZSL is the ultimate F30 (sorry, M Sports fans, but there's just too much bling in that package and too little M) for a bunch of reasons
Perhaps the M Sport package offered "too much bling" for you, but for a Canadian enthusiast like me, it offered some substantive improvements :

1. staggered summer performance tires and wheels (replace the otherwise crappy square all seasons that come on all other Canadian F30) for better traction, handling and braking;

2. the possibility to add Adaptive M suspension (not otherwise available in Canada) for suspension upgrade;

3. the possibility to add factory M Sport brakes (larger front rotors and Brembo callipers front and rear) for even better braking performance. These brakes are not available in the USA.

You may perhaps think that the M Sport steering wheel is also "bling", but it is by far the best looking wheel (and to touch as well) that BMW currently offers on any model.
      03-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

This.

After seeing the MSport front end, I finally liked the front end of the F30.

MSport sealed the deal. Wish there were no exterior M badges, replacing the wheels took care of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Perhaps the M Sport package offered "too much bling" for you, but for a Canadian enthusiast like me, it offered some substantive improvements :

1. staggered summer performance tires and wheels (replace the otherwise crappy square all seasons that come on all other Canadian F30) for better traction, handling and braking;

2. the possibility to add Adaptive M suspension (not otherwise available in Canada) for suspension upgrade;

3. the possibility to add factory M Sport brakes (larger front rotors and Brembo callipers front and rear) for even better braking performance. These brakes are not available in the USA.

You may perhaps think that the M Sport steering wheel is also "bling", but it is by far the best looking wheel (and to touch as well) that BMW currently offers on any model.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm
Quote:
Dynamic Handling Doesn't give you this?

Thanks, you are right, its a little more than seat. Seats, lower suspension, those beautiful 18s on sportline. And exterior wise a different look.

BUt i am woken up to the fact luxury doesnt have a sport suspension even on the dynamic handling pack. I over looked this point big time.

This board rocks...
Actually you're confused. The luxury line doesn't come with the sport suspension, but if you add DHP you do get the Adaptive M suspension.

EDIT: is this a 335i or 328i we're talking about?
335i...

So if you go luxury, you can get a sport suspension?

Does xi or i matter?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

I LOVE the steering wheel and weighted shifter. What I couldn't get past are the m badges, the less refined look of the front and rear bumper. On the M3, I see the purpose. But i couldn't reach for the M sport look as I think the original design is a nice one.

I see all points... but the thing about it is... I want the luxury and sport. And I cant get both. BMW won't let it happen. Kind of a sad thing since the f30 is a remarkable car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
I LOVE the steering wheel and weighted shifter. What I couldn't get past are the m badges, the less refined look of the front and rear bumper. On the M3, I see the purpose. But i couldn't reach for the M sport look as I think the original design is a nice one.

I see all points... but the thing about it is... I want the luxury and sport. And I cant get both. BMW won't let it happen. Kind of a sad thing since the f30 is a remarkable car.
This is a weird statement. A luxury line 335i with 6MT and DHP is exactly the same performance as a sport line 335i with 6MT and DHP. You can even get staggered 19" wheels with summer tires on the 335i luxury line.

As for the seats, quit asking strangers about them, it's your own ass, no ours.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #30
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Depends on your butt and back...I liked the sport seats, but wasn't going to pay all that extra for them, since that was one of the few reasons I would've opted for a Sports/M Sport line.

My base normal seats with lumbar are great, and the M Performance suspension mops the floor in setup compared to what the M/Sport line have to offer. Ironically, I'm limited by the bolsters when cornering now (lol). But I'm not tracking this car, it's a DD.
I have to brace myself with my legs against the door and center panel. After one track day i was thinking why the hell are my legs so damn sore? (i know i set myslef up just now but no gay jokes) lol
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #31
ossanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I tried both seat in my dealer and the sport seat is more comfortable. Sport seat is a must, big difference for me.

I am a small guy 168cm and 60kg.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
This is a weird statement. A luxury line 335i with 6MT and DHP is exactly the same performance as a sport line 335i with 6MT and DHP. You can even get staggered 19" wheels with summer tires on the 335i luxury line.

As for the seats, quit asking strangers about them, it's your own ass, no ours.
Wasn't aware... I guess the sport comes down to the look.

IS the ride height the same? I thought sport was lower?

On a xi, is there even a difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

I have sport seats, and the only red in the car is on my steering wheel where I can barely see it.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
I have sport seats, and the only red in the car is on my steering wheel where I can barely see it.
How are those gray seats keeping up? I had my eye on a Mineral Gray/Everest Gray. I just have not been able to find Everest gray and Anthracite wood pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Decided to STICK with sportline. Thanks everyone for the contribution! I think the sport seats really were the deciding factor. I wanted to get back into a 6 speed manual, BMW. If I didnt get sport seats, and the nice black headliner, I think I might have regretted the puchase slightly.

What I find difficult is BMW doesn't give you everything you want in each line, but when you do find the right compromises, it can turn out okay. A year looking at this car, I finally grasped a look I really want.

When the M3 comes out, i think it will be love at first sight. Except no issues with options, colors or even performance (rwd is it).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I went without sport seats on a C300 I just got rid of for my F30 after about 10 years with sport seats on several cars and I'll never do I again. That said, those Mercedes seats were AWFUL for reasons beyond just not having the side bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
How are those gray seats keeping up? I had my eye on a Mineral Gray/Everest Gray. I just have not been able to find Everest gray and Anthracite wood pictures.
I've got this combo on my car and have been very happy with it so far. Looks great and has held up very well so far. Just have one crappy pic taken with my BlackBerry.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

Glad you came to the right decision for you, I personally got the sport line for the seats, the wheels, the black and red accents (my car is AW so the black and red accent it nicely) and the last reason? Sport transmission, I ordered 6MT but it wouldn't have been in for like 6 months due to overbooking so I went with the sport AT and honestly love it... Thankfully I also have a stick in the garage so I don't have withdrawals haha

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
Glad you came to the right decision for you, I personally got the sport line for the seats, the wheels, the black and red accents (my car is AW so the black and red accent it nicely) and the last reason? Sport transmission, I ordered 6MT but it wouldn't have been in for like 6 months due to overbooking so I went with the sport AT and honestly love it... Thankfully I also have a stick in the garage so I don't have withdrawals haha
I have a lot of respect for both transmissions. Over all its an amazing machine. I think the sport automatic gives you the sense you have a state of the art piece of engineering.

BUt same can be said of the 6 speed manual. Its so well done, its really a joy to row. And in some ways, the control you get with engine braking is a blast to carve any fun street or valley.
Appreciate 0