F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone 5 - contacts transfer through bluetooth problems
Studio RSR

01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
JSAvonwussow
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Convertible

iPhone 5 - contacts transfer through bluetooth problems

I apologize if this topic has been hashed out...but any help would be appreciated. I am the proud owner of a 335i convertible 2013. No problems whatsoever with BMW apps and connecting with my lightening cable. The problem is that my car will NOT transfer ANY of my contacts through bluetooth. Phone pairs fine, wheel spins, then "no entries" shows up. BMW tech's iphone5's worked fine. So I took it to Apple, got a new phone, it worked for about 3 weeks and now IT'S not transferring either. I hate it. Thanks for letting me vent. Has anybody experienced this? Have a fix? Help...please....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Iphone --> Settings --> Bluetooth --> Select the blue arrow next to BMW XXXXX --> Make sure "Sync Contacts" is turned on and then select which Contact Groups you want to Sync.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
JSAvonwussow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Iphone --> Settings --> Bluetooth --> Select the blue arrow next to BMW XXXXX --> Make sure "Sync Contacts" is turned on and then select which Contact Groups you want to Sync.

Mike
Thanks Mike...tried that...still no transfer. Have you had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAvonwussow View Post
Thanks Mike...tried that...still no transfer. Have you had this issue?
I haven't had any problems. Only other thing I can suggest is delete the pairing from both the car and the phone and try repairing. How many contacts do you have? I think I remember reading somewhere there is a limit to how many contacts you can sync?

Other than that I got nothing...

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
JSAvonwussow
Rep

Totally appreciate the help. We've done all that. My contacts are so few (about 60)...the only thing I can think is that there's a software update for my car...which my car won't recognize from my USB. So fun. Thanks for chiming in! Have a great day. /T
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
CNSYYC
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335X BSM M Sport 6 Spd

The contacts should load automatically upon starting the car.

You can force an update by going to 'Office' then selecting 'Current Office" the press the 'Options' button on the iDrive controller
Under 'Current Office' scroll down to Update data' and select.
Or turn off / on Bluetooth on the same screen.

Wait 15 - 20 seconds and the contact list should start updating - watch the top of the screen for the process cycle indicator (spinning wheel).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5MC; '97 M3

it actually took me a couple tries and drives to get all the contacts to sync up. it wasnt instantaneous. i'm thinking it was because i have a ton in my phone
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
JSAvonwussow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNSYYC View Post
The contacts should load automatically upon starting the car.

You can force an update by going to 'Office' then selecting 'Current Office" the press the 'Options' button on the iDrive controller
Under 'Current Office' scroll down to Update data' and select.
Or turn off / on Bluetooth on the same screen.

Wait 15 - 20 seconds and the contact list should start updating - watch the top of the screen for the process cycle indicator (spinning wheel).
Thanks...I don't even have a current office to select...just office; then contacts or messages - which of course I have neither. Wheel spins, car says "transferring data" then "no entries". Odd thing is that if I manually dial the number, the contact shows up like caller i.d. once the call is started. Happy to know that all of you BMW experts are stumped though...I feel better.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Jogabs77
Rep
Drives: 2or4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAvonwussow
I apologize if this topic has been hashed out...but any help would be appreciated. I am the proud owner of a 335i convertible 2013. No problems whatsoever with BMW apps and connecting with my lightening cable. The problem is that my car will NOT transfer ANY of my contacts through bluetooth. Phone pairs fine, wheel spins, then "no entries" shows up. BMW tech's iphone5's worked fine. So I took it to Apple, got a new phone, it worked for about 3 weeks and now IT'S not transferring either. I hate it. Thanks for letting me vent. Has anybody experienced this? Have a fix? Help...please....
Here is the solution my friend. I had no problems from the get go until I started using emojis on my iPhone 5. The BMW software does not recognize emojis and freezes data transfer once it hits the first contact with an emoji. Just delete all emoji from you contact list. Reconnect to Bluetooth and you should be good to go. Found this on the E90 forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
archienc44
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 x drive Sedan

Iphone 5 office/contacts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogabs77 View Post
Here is the solution my friend. I had no problems from the get go until I started using emojis on my iPhone 5. The BMW software does not recognize emojis and freezes data transfer once it hits the first contact with an emoji. Just delete all emoji from you contact list. Reconnect to Bluetooth and you should be good to go. Found this on the E90 forums.
I have emojis enabled but switch back and forth when writing texts or email. Are you saying I should go to settings on the Iphone 5 and disable them?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
elgooghia
Registered
Rep
Drives: good

In order to delete all contacts form iPhone, you have them syncing with another source (gmail, windows contacts, Yahoo, etc.) then in iTunes, select your iPhone under devices (left side), go to Info (top), deselect "Sync contacts with".

When you do this, it will ask you to remove your contacts or not. Click on "Remove Contacts", and then Apply (botton right).

If you don't have your contacts sync'd, then you can either setup a temporary sync to iPhone Data Eraser that you have access to and then do the above, or do them one at a time.

Last edited by elgooghia; 01-08-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
RaizTatu
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

but we are not talking about delete, elgooghia.
And here is the guide that can solve the problem.
How to Backup Contacts from iPhone to Computer

Last edited by RaizTatu; 09-26-2016 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Idffrw
Registered
Rep
Drives: good

If you want to save iPhone contacts to another one . Why not just transfer them to iCloud and Google Account. When you switch a new iPhone, you need to extract iPhone backup contacts to new iPhone. You can Sign in to your Apple ID and Google account to do it 。

Last edited by Idffrw; 07-30-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:28 AM   #14
jrandsk
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport Estoril Blue

I'm about to sell my 125i (F20) to take delivery of new M135i, but want to clear all Contacts from the outgoing car. Other than deleting them one at a time, is there not some way to clear them all? Any help would be appreciated as a new contributor John
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
SarahPalin
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaizTatu View Post
but we are not talking about delete, elgooghia.
And here is the guide that can solve the problem.
How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Computer
It's a problem about BMW apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
protomik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

I have the same problem too and already asked help in my local retail shop. They referred me a cool contact transfer app and it's quite impressive for data transfer. Tutorial: how to transfer iPhone contacts to Galaxy S7

Last edited by protomik; 06-01-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:50 AM   #17
Juesrous
Registered
Rep
Drives: CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idffrw View Post
If you want to backup iPhone contacts to Android or another one . Why not just transfer them to iCloud and Google Account. When you switch a new iPhone, you need to extract iPhone backup contacts to new iPhone. You can Sign in to your Apple ID and Google account to do it 。
Bluetooth doesn't allow users to transfer contacts or messages from phone to another, it only works for photos, music.

Last edited by Juesrous; 07-27-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:41 AM   #18
Erikksd
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juesrous View Post
Bluetooth doesn't allow users to transfer contacts or messages from phone to another, it only works for photos, music.
So the third party phone transfer tool is needed if you want easily and safely move your data between two phones (iphone and Andorid).

Last edited by Erikksd; 01-12-2018 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #19
Looer
Registered
Rep
Drives: car

If you want to transfer contacts between differen phone as i did ,maybe you can use the data transfer tool , with it i have succeed transfer contacts between Android and iPhone, you need to have an USB cable which you connect to your phone and laptop. then you can follow it's steps to transfer contacts ,

Last edited by Looer; 03-13-2017 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #20
Looer
Registered
Rep
Drives: car

I offer a linck that you can learn more about transfer between different phone

Last edited by Looer; 03-13-2017 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0