F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My first 'Stone Chips' while NOT driving
GetBMWParts

07-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

My first 'Stone Chips' while NOT driving

Well my / our car is getting to the 2/3 weeks old stage and it to happen eventually - stone chips.

However I did not imagine it would happen like it did.

Was out at Sutton Park nr Royal Sutton Coldfield, having a Dalmatian walk (about 50 Dalmatians).

Had parked up.

10 minutes later notices these two kids about 3 and 6 throwing stones at fence near my car, shouts at parent to stop them.

However, the youngest throws a stone up in the air and of course it had to clip the corner of bonnet and now have 2 distinct chips in paint work.

Might as well talked to wall as the father, he seriously could not see anything wrong with kids throwing stones near cars.

My darling wife led me away, seriously though I was fully prepared to smack him if he had said 'these things happen'.

I will get it booked in to local dealer for a repair, but bloody annoyed.

As they are part of our Dog walking group, I will be publicly handing him the bill at next walk and expect all or some donation.

If not, he may find a line of self tappers appearing over his cars body work!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:11 AM   #2
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

This makes me fume.
I can't stand parents that can't control their brats!
I'd have probably drop kicked him in the face! No way I could keep my cool.

Was at the cinema the other day watching 'Edge of Tomorrow' and a mother had bought her infant who was crying through the first 10 minutes. How she thought this was acceptable I don't know. Very politely told her it wasn't fair on the other customers, and she said sorry and got up and left without returning! Not what I was expecting, felt bad about it but thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the movie!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Sorry to hear that, Brigand. Very annoying when people show no respect for the property of others. Does he drive a beat up old Volvo perhaps, so has no concept of people that care about their cars?

When I lived in London many years ago and had just taken delivery of my M5, I heard a large delivery truck stop outside. I was relieved as they lifted a sofa over the bonnet of my car without incident. Just then my neighbour came out to sign for the delivery. He put the delivery note on my bonnet and signed in biro. Not very impressed - words were exchanged!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Sorry to hear that, Brigand. Very annoying when people show no respect for the property of others. Does he drive a beat up old Volvo perhaps, so has no concept of people that care about their cars?

When I lived in London many years ago and had just taken delivery of my M5, I heard a large delivery truck stop outside. I was relieved as they lifted a sofa over the bonnet of my car without incident. Just then my neighbour came out to sign for the delivery. He put the delivery note on my bonnet and signed in biro. Not very impressed - words were exchanged!

Thanks.

No it's a 06 plate focus, silver.

I have the reg..

It's no wonder we have so many social issue with kids, when their parents don't get how they should act or behave.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Thanks.

No it's a 06 plate focus, silver.

I have the reg..

It's no wonder we have so many social issue with kids, when their parents don't get how they should act or behave.
Tells you all you need to know...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

I Have A Low Tollerance For 'thick' People.....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

That's sickening, sorry to hear it. With 3 young kids I understand how it can be difficult to keep your kids under control (especially the middle child, he's a mischief) but I also accept any damage they cause is my liability so it's in my interest to ensure they learn good standards quickly! Let alone the moral obligation.

Some parents eh... I'd have been on my kids back like a rash. Just like I am if i see them cycling too close to the neighbours car etc. They will probably ignore it but you can only hope a quick education moment with the parents might actually be effective. And I'd definitely show them/give them the bill although I suspect you'll get the 'F--- off' treatment, in which case what hope do the kids have...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

So sorry to hear this. Bad parenting. Get it fixed and present the low-life with a bill.

This makes me so furious. The children who sometimes play on my street avoid my car as I have told the parents that I'll bill them if damage occurs and will take them to a small claims court if they don't pay up. I have done so once before and won, so now they know full well I am serious.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
      07-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep

Well looks like will be a few days - week before can get car sorted was at hospital for my hand surgery.

Left hand in sling, the joys.

Will be handy the fecker bill and socially ostracise him from the group.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
yet spelt tolerance wrong

I'll get my coat ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Not having any kids isn't it expected for a parent to pay for any damage their child does to someone's property?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Not having any kids isn't it expected for a parent to pay for any damage their child does to someone's property?
Bit of a yes and no

Need to be a certain age and even then it can get messy
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

age of 10 is of criminal responsibility

and as brigand will state, enforcing this is another issue ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Please do let us know how it goes when you present the bill.

Actually, please arrange to have someone film it.

As the parent of a 2-year old boy (who has literally injured himself by throwing a large rock straight into the air, so that it landed on his head) I do have a microscopic bit of sympath for the parent. That said, I'd probably be arrested by Child Protective Services if I were to ever catch him doing something like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Please do let us know how it goes when you present the bill.

Actually, please arrange to have someone film it.

As the parent of a 2-year old boy (who has literally injured himself by throwing a large rock straight into the air, so that it landed on his head) I do have a microscopic bit of sympath for the parent. That said, I'd probably be arrested by Child Protective Services if I were to ever catch him doing something like that.

Oh it will indeed be a public showing of the bill.

Failing that I have to think what pattern of self tappers I could manage over his car...... Partially tongue in cheek.

That and I can't use my left hand for 2 weeks lol - my poor wife.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

As I can drive now and it's not raining like the second great flood, I decided to take car to dealer to have chips looked at.

The dealer conversation went from full bonnet respray to touch up paint to will ask body shop manager on Monday and show him photographs.

I don't mind this learning curve from staff, however I wish they would tell them just stick to the "will next person X to look at it, they will contact you next week' type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

How life has changed.....when I was growing up, every grown up was able to verbally instruct kids, and kids knew that every adult was the authority and listened.

Now, teachers and others in authority aren't allowed to touch them and they know it. When other adults give them a telling off it results in the parents sticking up for the kids instead of the adult is always right. I can see a big problem looming in the next 20-30 years.

Hope you can get the chips repaired as new.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #19
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
How life has changed.....when I was growing up, every grown up was able to verbally instruct kids, and kids knew that every adult was the authority and listened.

Now, teachers and others in authority aren't allowed to touch them and they know it. When other adults give them a telling off it results in the parents sticking up for the kids instead of the adult is always right. I can see a big problem looming in the next 20-30 years.
This.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Yes the problem will be that Daddy sees nothing wrong with damaging someone's property and won't think there is anything wrong with the OPs car, what's a few tiny chips will be his view. My kids would never damage anyone else's property unless by a total accident and if it happened I would immediately be paying up as I respect my property and that of others.

Nisfan is totally right about the attitude of kids, they have no respect or fear of anyone. Say anything to them and you just get a mouthful and then angry mummy or daddy on the doorstep.

OP you should do as you plan and make sure your car is repaired to perfection at the expense of this negligent parent. Had he been watching his kids this could not have happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Yes the problem will be that Daddy sees nothing wrong with damaging someone's property and won't think there is anything wrong with the OPs car, what's a few tiny chips will be his view. My kids would never damage anyone else's property unless by a total accident and if it happened I would immediately be paying up as I respect my property and that of others.

Nisfan is totally right about the attitude of kids, they have no respect or fear of anyone. Say anything to them and you just get a mouthful and then angry mummy or daddy on the doorstep.

OP you should do as you plan and make sure your car is repaired to perfection at the expense of this negligent parent. Had he been watching his kids this could not have happened.

I have never really had much to do with civvies pre April 2012, however in the last 2 years I have actually been shocked and disgusted with how some people are.
It is amazing how many genuinely thick people we have, not even touching on lack of respect for each other or our property.

Seriously we have so many people that are unable to think for themselves.

What really gets me, is not so much the kids doing it but the actual lack of comprehension from a grown man.

I have been good though, previously, I would have just thumped him, however I promised my wife I would be more sociable and understanding...

I still prefer a few self tappers in each of his cars body panels - doors, roof, bonnet.
However I will be a good boy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

If all adults 'stuck together' the kids would realise, like in older days, they have to respect elders or their own mummy/daddy will rip them a new one. Instead, if you go round to someone's house to complain you'll have the parent telling you to fck off with their kid listening in the background. We are building up problems for the future and it's our own fault.
Appreciate 0