F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Kitchen sinks
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2022, 04:13 AM   #1
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Kitchen sinks

Looking for a new under mount kitchen sink.

Currently have a stainless steel one which has been bomb proof. The only downside is it started all polished but soon scratched to the point of looking like it is actually a bushed steel version. No biggy though.

Does anyone have experience with composite sinks? Thinking of getting a grey one.
I live in a soft water area so will have no limescale issues and we don’t drink tea.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:54 AM   #2
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Looking for a new under mount kitchen sink.

Currently have a stainless steel one which has been bomb proof. The only downside is it started all polished but soon scratched to the point of looking like it is actually a bushed steel version. No biggy though.

Does anyone have experience with composite sinks? Thinking of getting a grey one.
I live in a soft water area so will have no limescale issues and we don’t drink tea.

Thanks in advance.
we got one with our kitchen, its ok but do find the edges have chipped alot more than I was expecting. However my Mum also had a composite installed and that seems to be holding up better but hers is a 1 bowl and ours is 1.5.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:55 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Can't comment on the question, but will say that our stainless steel sink suffereed similar to yours, the answer for me was to polish it back up.

Simple task with Autosol metal polish and some elbow grease did also use my DA polisher with a small pad on larger areas... looks bling now
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:12 AM   #4
stevei
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport+

i've just fitted this one into our kitchen
https://www.reginox.co.uk/quadra-105-white
Good solid sink but i should have gone for the grey colour as it's less likely to show marks up
      01-07-2022, 05:52 AM   #5
theabbot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

My son had an expensive dark grey composite one installed in the kitchen, his wife left something in it to bleach and they now have a two tone sink, not saying all sinks would suffer the same but it's a question I would be asking from whoever is supplying it
Appreciate 1
Pentland1717.50
      01-07-2022, 06:45 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Depends on the precise nature of the composite material that you are considering, but personally I'd avoid. Many of the polymer composite materials are too soft and/or not resistant to chemicals - not worth the risk or the extra hassle, and they can look tired very quickly.

Stainless steel and china are generally bomb-proof, and ultimately it's a sink not a showcase item.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      01-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Depends on the precise nature of the composite material that you are considering, but personally I'd avoid. Many of the polymer composite materials are too soft and/or not resistant to chemicals - not worth the risk or the extra hassle, and they can look tired very quickly.

Stainless steel and china are generally bomb-proof, and ultimately it's a sink not a showcase item.
This.
There a reson why most commercial kitchen use stianless everywhere.
We only use stainless at work in our lab environments becuase composite dont last 2 minutes. 316 stainless and as mention before if its marked just buff it out.
Also composite are hard and if you drop anything in it the item can smash. We als smashed a compostiyte sink too but that was when an iron weight was dropped in it so less likely in a kitchen
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Id say go SS again and just got soemthing like this (just got this in our new place)

https://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-jos...l/grey/p391057

Infact you could just get this and insert and no one will see the current SS scratches.

Boom!
      01-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ultimately it's a sink not a showcase item.
Disagree with that. The sink, tap, waste disposal combo can easily amount to a comparable cost or more than other kitchen appliances. It can also be a centre piece part if used on an island for example or a statement piece as anyone with a Belfast sink will affirm. The most used item in the kitchen, anyone with a tatty sink will be hating it every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:48 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree with that. The sink, tap, waste disposal combo can easily amount to a comparable cost or more than other kitchen appliances. It can also be a centre piece part if used on an island for example or a statement piece as anyone with a Belfast sink will affirm. The most used item in the kitchen, anyone with a tatty sink will be hating it every day.
Had a Belfast sink and felt it was a very impractical statement. A good steel sink is much better. And a plenty good enough statement with quality taps.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:43 AM   #11
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Thankfully the craze for Belfast Sinks appears to be on the wane now........ hideous looking things. I would go for a good quality Stainless unit personally.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:59 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
We've got a double Belfast sink and a Franke tri-flow tap, but they're functional items. They are there to do a job, reliably and built to last - certainly don't regard them as showcase to try and impress ourselves or anyone else.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.

Last edited by Watsey; 01-12-2022 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
We've got a double Belfast sink and a Franke tai-flow tap, but they're functional items. They are there to do a job, reliably and built to last - certainly don't regard them as showcase to try and impress ourselves or anyone else.
I just had one worry with the Belfast sink and that was the risk of smashing. Either dropping China/glass that would smash, or dropping a heavy pan and cracking/chipping the sink. Never actually happened, but that's why I personally prefer steel.

Seconded on Franke, had their taps in three properties and sinks in two, very good stuff.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:42 AM   #14
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Had a Belfast sink and felt it was a very impractical statement. A good steel sink is much better. And a plenty good enough statement with quality taps.
I've got a large butler sink from Shaws and find it's really good. It helps that we got the sink grid with it so that even though Mrs Nibbles has teflon hands, when she drops things it doesn't get chipped. Cleans up easily and looks as good as new after quite a few years. I think it just depends on the type of kitchen you have, a steel sink would look a bit odd in ours but a ceramic or butler/belfast fits in much better.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #15
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

We have a Villeroy and Boche ceramic sink and it is good, doesn't really mark and looks a lot nicer than stainless steel.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1717.50
      01-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #16
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Visited a friend at the weekend who had a black composite sink. It looked terrible white marks and every bit of dirt showing.

Brushed stainless steel under mount ordered.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
Sennen1733.50
      01-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #17
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

With undermount sinks they all look much of a muchness, it's more about the worktop. With the overmount (just made that word up) style I can't stand stainless, would go for ceramic I think, in a light colour.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #18
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Visited a friend at the weekend who had a black composite sink. It looked terrible white marks and every bit of dirt showing.

Brushed stainless steel under mount ordered.
Very wise, it will look better for longer
Appreciate 1
Pentland1717.50
      01-12-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

We have a Franke stainless steel job. Pretty basic but clean it with pink stuff or similar and it comes up like new. It's 13 years old and is treated pretty badly as we're looking for a new kitchen.

Trying to persuade the better half to keep with stainless steel simply doesn't fit with the narrative and we've looked at all sorts of composite stuff in our quotes.

So its good timing reading this, brushed stainless steel will go with the light switches ovens etc
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #20
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Went with the 1.5 under mount one of these…
https://www.franke.com/gb/en/hs/prod...filters=262619
Appreciate 0