F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ARM f3X Intercooler Quality Issue
proTUNING Freaks

10-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #45
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M-Sport 435i xDrive (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

ARM's customer support is top-notch. Any time we reach out for help, they take care of it asap! No excuses, no BS
Again, never a doubt. That's a good partnership you've got and I appreciate the top-notch service.
      10-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsweeto View Post
No, I should be fine mating my existing BMS charge pipe and the stock TIC. I'm an xdrive and I'm not volunteering to do too much work close to the turbo. I'll see how things go and maybe have a shop do the BOV and TIC, unless one of you fine sirs wants to come to NC to help out with those.

Tomorrow the FMIC goes in as does a VRSF catted in place of an existing VRSF catless. I logged 4 successive 3rd gear pulls this morning and will do a before an after when things are settled, although it was a cool morning and I don't think I got IATs above 100.
Installed an inlet if you are going to do DV/TIC
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #47
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
No, I should be fine mating my existing BMS charge pipe and the stock TIC. I'm an xdrive and I'm not volunteering to do too much work close to the turbo. I'll see how things go and maybe have a shop do the BOV and TIC, unless one of you fine sirs wants to come to NC to help out with those.

Tomorrow the FMIC goes in as does a VRSF catted in place of an existing VRSF catless. I logged 4 successive 3rd gear pulls this morning and will do a before an after when things are settled, although it was a cool morning and I don't think I got IATs above 100.
Installed an inlet if you are going to do DV/TIC
Intake inlet, TIC, BOV... all 3 turbo touch points?
      11-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #48
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep

Would someone mind looking at this log to see if anything stands out? Although it seems kind of obvious, what's the relationship with boost target to boost? Why is there a gap in the two when I punch it, is that turbo lag demonstrated with data?

https://datazap.me/u/mcsweeto/pre-fm...og=0&data=3-16

Last edited by mcsweeto; 11-01-2021 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Would someone mind looking at this log to see if anything stands out? Although it seems kind of obvious, what's the relationship with boost target to boost? Why is there a gap in the two when I punch it, is that turbo lag demonstrated with data?

Target boost is what the ECU is trying to achieve, boost is your actual boost.

it takes 500 RPM (2000 - 2500 RPM) for your boost to reach the target, that's normal since your turbo needs time to spool.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      11-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Mike is correct, that's normal. How does the car feel?
      11-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #51
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Mike is correct, that's normal. How does the car feel?
Feels good, pulls strong. I had posted in another thread a few months back I felt like timing was being pulled in 5th while stepping on it to pass. That was during the heat of summer and I didn't have a chance to log then. I haven't noticed it since so maybe it was just IATs.
      11-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #52
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Intake inlet, TIC, BOV... all 3 turbo touch points?
Correct, all on the front of the turbo.

Quote:

Your link didnt take me to a specific log, but i recommend you read my thread on datalogging. Looks like you also need to go into the logging parameters and enable manifold boost (and anything else that's missing).

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2267.50
      11-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #53
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Correct, all on the front of the turbo.

Your link didnt take me to a specific log, but i recommend you read my thread on datalogging. Looks like you also need to go into the logging parameters and enable manifold boost (and anything else that's missing).

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
This - I reviewed the logs, but on the first few, you let off the throttle at about 4000RPM and it steadily decreased as you revved it out more.
      11-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #54
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

OP, did you Intercooler have a way to mount the fan shroud?

grocerylist has been having issues with his installation:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1850989&page=3
      11-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #55
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

No, the IC mounted a few inches ahead of the shroud so there was no issue of reattaching.
Attached Images

11-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #56
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, the IC mounted a few inches ahead of the shroud so there was no issue of reattaching.
Wait what the heck - this isnt right. The fan is supposed to be attached to the IC. The fan is going to be significantly less effective when there's a huge air gap between the fan and IC not to mention it going to put a lot of stress on the other mounting points
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #57
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I just read through that thread... the ARM isnt bigger than the VRSF race, right? I was able to retain all factory ducting and shrouds. It certainly wasnt easy, but its doable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #58
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just read through that thread... the ARM isnt bigger than the VRSF race, right? I was able to retain all factory ducting and shrouds. It certainly wasnt easy, but its doable.
The ARM is as tall as the Race, but it doesn't have the depth. It's basically just the step portion forward.

Is it less effective because the bottom portion isn't hook up? I don't think so - the stock IC is 5" high and only connects to the bottom portion of the radiator. So the even if it were stepped, there would still be distance between the two on the top half of the fan.
      11-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #59
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The ARM is as tall as the Race, but it doesn't have the depth. It's basically just the step portion forward.

Is it less effective because the bottom portion isn't hook up? I don't think so - the stock IC is 5" high and only connects to the bottom portion of the radiator. So the even if it were stepped, there would still be distance between the two on the top half of the fan.
Well then you can absolutely keep all of the factory shrouds/ducting with the ARM... I know from installing the race which was likely significantly harder due to the depth that its not easy, but its certainly doable. I could have easily removed pieces to make the install easier but i would have not been able to sleep at night knowing i made one thing worse to upgrade another.

The fan is absolutely less effective when there is a huge air gap infront of it. It's not only about it being closer to the IC, the IC tabs are important to hold the fan up against the other cooling system components (toward the front of the car) that are higher up... The air is going to take the path of least resistance which means not going through the heat exchangers if it can draw air around
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #60
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well then you can absolutely keep all of the factory shrouds/ducting with the ARM... I know from installing the race which was likely significantly harder due to the depth that its not easy, but its certainly doable. I could have easily removed pieces to make the install easier but i would have not been able to sleep at night knowing i made one thing worse to upgrade another.

The fan is absolutely less effective when there is a huge air gap infront of it. It's not only about it being closer to the IC, the IC tabs are important to hold the fan up against the other cooling system components (toward the front of the car) that are higher up... The air is going to take the path of least resistance which means not going through the heat exchangers if it can draw air around
That's why the shrouding is important in general. But I haven't been under the car yet, so I can't say how much space there is between the two, especially on the sides. The idea is to force enough air forward through the IC, the fan would only even be operational in low/slow speed operation.
      11-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #61
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep

Install vid:

Not my channel, but please subscribe to it- it belongs my friend Aaron who's an awesome host and fellow German enthusiast. Please go easy on me.
      11-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #62
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Good video
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #63
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Hear exchanger fans are designed to fit within about 1 inch of exchanger and the fans need shrouding around the fan and heat exchanger to create a pressure differential to work. By having the fan sitting inches away from the radiator and IC makes it basically worthless.

BMW went to great lengths to have duct work forward of the IC and radiator create a pressure effect at speed and have the fan and shrouding tight against the back of the IC and radiator to maximize cooling. This ARM design negates all of that effort.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-09-2021 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #64
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Hear exchanger fans are designed to fit within about 1 inch of exchanger and the fans need shrouding around the fan and heat exchanger to create a pressure differential to work. By having the fan sitting inches away from the radiator and IC makes it basically worthless.
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #65
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The fan is STILL connected to the radiator. The fan does NOT need to be connected to the intercooler core, because the intercooler DOESN’T NEED the fan for cooling.
1. The intercooler has more thermal capacity than stock
2. As I mentioned before, the thicker (more depth) a core has, the less effective that cooling is. The fan is there is help makers the core doesn’t heat soak. The ARM and ER cores don’t utilize this, and typically won’t suffer from this issue.
3. The fan is literally still mounted to the radiator
4. The fan is only running at a standstill or low speeds

Look at these pictures and you can see the fan is still mounted on the back of the radiator with its shroud - oil/coolant temperatures should not be impacted.
The intercooler is larger than stock, it will not see large increases in IAT like the stock intercooler would.

Quote:

BMW went to great lengths to have duct work forward of the IC and radiator create a pressure effect at speed and have the fan and shrouding tight against the back of the IC and radiator to maximize cooling. This ARM design negates all of that effort.
BMW also put a crappy small IC on the car. They didn’t design the perfect vehicle or cooling system.

The easier way to tell how much of an impact this has is simply by logging it.
Can anyone show their coolant logs before and after their IC install?
Attached Images

11-10-2021, 12:33 AM   #66
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The fan is STILL connected to the radiator. The fan does NOT need to be connected to the intercooler core, because the intercooler DOESN’T NEED the fan for cooling.
1. The intercooler has more thermal capacity than stock
2. As I mentioned before, the thicker (more depth) a core has, the less effective that cooling is. The fan is there is help makers the core doesn’t heat soak. The ARM and ER cores don’t utilize this, and typically won’t suffer from this issue.
3. The fan is literally still mounted to the radiator
4. The fan is only running at a standstill or low speeds

Look at these pictures and you can see the fan is still mounted on the back of the radiator with its shroud - oil/coolant temperatures should not be impacted.
The intercooler is larger than stock, it will not see large increases in IAT like the stock intercooler would.

BMW also put a crappy small IC on the car. They didn’t design the perfect vehicle or cooling system.

The easier way to tell how much of an impact this has is simply by logging it.
Can anyone show their coolant logs before and after their IC install?
Yeah it is still connected to the radiator up top and not really affecting that but, but i disagree that it doesnt need to be connected to the IC. I mean it defends how you defined "need"... I dont want that gap; i want my IC cooled whenever my fan is running to as close to ambient as possible. Otherwise its just getting heat from behind... Im not saying the ARM with fan gap is worse than stock with fan connected, but the fact that its not optimized because of that space is in itself enough for me to never consider that type of setup. It's just so inefficient. I also wonder how much that fan is flexing and wobbling around without the bottom mounts. It is very easy to move when its not connected to the IC on the bottom, so its not doubt bouncing around constantly while driving and flexing from the fan running/airflow from the front. It's just all around "wong" IMO, quantitative effects on IATs aside.
Appreciate 0