F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW F30 3 Series Coding DIY - Code Auto Start Stop, DVD, Folding Mirrors, Etc.
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

Been lurking here for last couple months since I first ordered my 328i back in March, what an awesome post and mod. Had my f30 for a week now and the most irritating thing on startup is the disclaimer on idrive and having to push accept.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Ok, for those interested, I updated the first post with a DIY.
Nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

svache - thanks for taking the lead.

I am interested in a few things (auto-folding mirrors, etc.) and will probably just order the cable (thanks for link) since I am still waiting for re-delivery.

But, one thing I am not clear on are the required token and PIN you mention at the beginning, but nowhere else. Can you expand on how to get those or are they part of the SW / datafile download?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

Awesome work Svache!

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
But, one thing I am not clear on are the required token and PIN you mention at the beginning, but nowhere else. Can you expand on how to get those or are they part of the SW / datafile download?
Yeah they're part of the download, the token is basically included in the EST folder, and the PIN is mentioned in the textfile

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #28
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A little teaser.. I found something (and confirmed working) that a lot of people here want to have...

More later

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
A little teaser.. I found something (and confirmed working) that a lot of people here want to have...

More later
I saw a reference in the files to an ASS memory setting.... coincidence?

On another note, the cable in your post has to be ordered from Lithuania. Is there something closer to home? Did you order from there? I'd love to put a cable together myself, but I can't find the OBDII connector for sale anywhere.

EDIT: I noticed that there was an ebay link for the connector so I'll look there.

Last edited by Raspartan; 05-27-2012 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Note for anyone planning on building their own cable, you'll also need a 510 ohm .25 watt resistor.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just uploaded a new cheat sheet with some of the latest stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
I saw a reference in the files to an ASS memory setting.... coincidence?
Haha, yes and no.. I knew it was out there, just didn't know where yet.. I found it today after a search for it in all the settings =)

Quote:
On another note, the cable in your post has to be ordered from Lithuania. Is there something closer to home? Did you order from there? I'd love to put a cable together myself, but I can't find the OBDII connector for sale anywhere.

EDIT: I noticed that there was an ebay link for the connector so I'll look there.
I received my cable from one of the guys from the F10 forums. They needed some info regarding Speed Limit Indicator (since I have this enabled on my car) and this was the fastest way to get that info (unfortunately, the F30 and F10 are too different exactly on that part what they needed to know, so it was all for nothing really).

Other than this, I actually had trouble getting a cable. Thing is, I wanted to order on ebay but those guys don't ship to AK/HI (ridiculous since they use regular mail but oh well). At the time I was looking for one, the cable from Lithuania was not yet confirmed working. You might be lucky with a cable from Amazon (they sell them) but thing is, often the wires are on different connectors, and they're often missing that resistor, resulting in a faulty cable. Make sure that you compare the charts (there's one in my first page) to make sure it will work

Quote:
Note for anyone planning on building their own cable, you'll also need a 510 ohm .25 watt resistor.
Thanks, I forgot to add that. I added it to the first post as well

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #32
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

WOW SVACHE !!

This is an awesome thread !! MUST SUBScribe !!!

Are you a Software Engineer ??
I am an Engineer too, but Mechanical/Systems ... so i have very limited knowledge about coding...

I have always hated Coding and electronic stuff...
but with such a good help from you on this thread, i think i can overcome it...
one day when i will find the courage to play/toy around with the car's brain, i will certainly refer myself to this thread you created!!

THANK YOU IN AVANCE !! this is awesome man !!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #33
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Are you a Software Engineer ??
I am an Engineer too, but Mechanical/Systems ... so i have very limited knowledge about coding...
Nah, I'm a stay-at-home dad

I do have a software/coding background but I cannot really call this coding.. it's just trying things out, playing a bit, a lot of trial and error

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #34
Road Cone1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & 325i

Great work Svache.
Would you happen to know if Nav is required for DVD in motion?
I have this on my current BMW and love watching Top Gear on the drive to work
Lots of Miatas
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #35
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:

Yeah, both Firefox and IE are warning me against that site.

Can you share an ebay link? Everything I saw was some sort of cable.
I did find this, which looks decent: http://www.virtualvillage.com/obd2-s...07550-021.html
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:

I did find this, which looks decent: http://www.virtualvillage.com/obd2-s...07550-021.html
Me Too!

Any domestic sources?

I would like the entire cable since I'm not making one. E-Sys software downloading now!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #37
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The link indicated in the Easy Cable Build PDF file is out of date, but they still sell the connector. I ordered from this link which I believe is the same Hong Kong seller as in the expired link. I've ordered components and parts from HK before in the past and never had any issues, but I'll let everyone know how this one goes.

Suffice it to say I'm not ordering from the Lithuanian site, but I'm fairly confident that I can assemble a cable. I can get a resistor locally and I have a 500' box of CAT5e network cable just waiting to be crimped.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #38
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just uploaded a new cheat sheet with some of the latest stuff
Looked through your list just now, cool stuff. About the nightvision... I think it's extremely unlikely that you have a NV sensor installed in the car, so this probably won't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #39
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Cone1 View Post
Great work Svache.
Would you happen to know if Nav is required for DVD in motion?
I have this on my current BMW and love watching Top Gear on the drive to work
Hi, nav is not necessarily required to have DVD in motion from what I know. However, your car needs to be able to play DVD's and not all cars without nav do this (for example, the US F30's without nav don't play DVD's). Best way to test it out is to put a DVD in the drive and see if it plays (when parked that is). If it does, then this works as well.. if it doesn't then unfortunately this wont work (neither would the DVD work that you can buy in this case).

Quote:

That one seems to be ok as well

Odd you get warnings for that site, btw, I don't see any at all :S But yeah, better safe then sorry I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Me Too!

Any domestic sources?

I would like the entire cable since I'm not making one. E-Sys software downloading now!!!!!
I'm sorry, I haven't found any seller yet who can provide you with a complete cable that is confirmed working. Most of the cables look ok but need adjusting in the end (missing resistors or wired differently).

Quote:
Looked through your list just now, cool stuff. About the nightvision... I think it's extremely unlikely that you have a NV sensor installed in the car, so this probably won't work.
Yeah I found out about this, it wont work for me. I did see something in the code about pedestrian recognition with the daycamera, so there's still hope for at least part of it xD we'll see

As for the ebay link you posted, that's indeed the same seller. It's logical these links get outdated after a while as their listings end from time to time

Last edited by svache; 05-27-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #40
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

I should add that the actual required resistor is 511 ohms 0.6 watts, but people have been using 510 ohms 0.25 watts due to the ease of finding the latter.

However, I think I may actually have found the required resistor. Don't want to dash any hopes so I'll update some time this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sounds cool, looking forward to your findings Raspartan

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Little heads up guys, I have got the rear-view and top-view camera's working at all speeds, I only need to find the time-out of them (like in normal use, after a while they shut down through a time-out).

Something else I did is adding a few possible settings for the Sports Display. The display can now show other values.. KW, HP, LB_ft, Kg/M etc.

Other than this I didn't have much time to do much more...Tomorrow is memorial day so I doubt I'll be doing much, will add more when I have more

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #43
Paninaro
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90

I wonder if dissabling the Video In Motion will also allow the front passenger to use the internet function?
      05-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #44
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paninaro View Post
I wonder if dissabling the Video In Motion will also allow the front passenger to use the internet function?
I have no idea since I don't have the internet function (yet) but chances are likely it will also allow that (and if not, we should be able to find something for it)

Appreciate 0