F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > almost immediate buyer's remorse on BMW 440 GC
proTUNING Freaks

07-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #89
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Too bad it's the USA's best selling ice cream flavor.
A shame indeed.

There are more Camrys sold than 3 and 4 Series combined! Quantity proves little...

But, it was only an analogy...not the primary point!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      07-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #90
stobit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Not sure what makes you site superior handling when it's basically the same car but heavier
Wider track and lower Cg, as reported here.

https://www.motor1.com/news/143701/b...-series-coupe/

Of course, right now, we have a mix of F and G platforms in the showroom, so we need to see the new GC dimensions in the near future.
this was the only article so far I've seen who claimed GC outsold Coupe with no source cited.

the article below back to the same time claimed GC only took less than 30% total 4 series.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...dy-buys-260912

On road it is much rarer to see a GC than coupe in any areas probably explained something. And rumor has it bmw will remove GC from Gxx 4 series. if a model sells solid why discontinue?

4GC is just another GT. it looks much better tho. but still not many buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #91
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobit View Post
And rumor has it bmw will remove GC from Gxx 4 series. if a model sells solid why discontinue?

GT is the model being dropped. New GC start of production is August 2021. Camoflauged prototypes can be found online. If GC is executed well for rear seat leg/headroom and cargo, GT becomes superfluous.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      07-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #92
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
And rumor has it bmw will remove GC from Gxx 4 series. if a model sells solid why discontinue?

Nope

Quote:
GT is the model being dropped. New GC start of production is August 2021. Camoflauged prototypes can be found online. If GC is executed well for rear seat leg/headroom and cargo, GT becomes superfluous.
Right... this is why Audi has to respond with A5 (4door hatch)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #93
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
If the GC becomes more convenient for rear seat leg and headroom, then doesn't the style factor that people like also take a hit? The reason people (other than OP) like the way it looks is the same reason the rear seat is cramped.

If you want better rear seat room, I say, get an X3--don't ruin the GC.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #94
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
If the GC becomes more convenient for rear seat leg and headroom, then doesn't the style factor that people like also take a hit? The reason people (other than OP) like the way it looks is the same reason the rear seat is cramped.

If you want better rear seat room, I say, get an X3--don't ruin the GC.
This is what separates mediocre designers from excellent designers. All we can do is wait and see what BMW Design Office is capable of doing. If the rear package is not improved (admittedly, I chose a GT just for this reason and closed an eye on design), we'll know they couldn't strike a better balance of form and function.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #95
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what separates mediocre designers from excellent designers. All we can do is wait and see what BMW Design Office is capable of doing. If the rear package is not improved (admittedly, I chose a GT just for this reason and closed an eye on design), we'll know they couldn't strike a better balance of form and function.
You have to compromise on something... even a tank is not good at something

Speaking back of the GC.. that is not a flaw in design as it is base on the coupe...which if you sit on the coupe backseat, it is alot worst. Then on the GC you get another girl in the middle 😁
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      07-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #96
stobit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Camouflaged picture so far were all coupe no GC.

BMW even considered to axe 4GC back to 2016 due to its poor sale number compared to coupe

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...on-113077.html

maybe BMW finally decided not to extend it to new G2x lineup
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #97
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

BMW even considered to axe 4GC back to 2016 due to its poor sale number compared to coupe

Wrong.
I provided the production launch date.

Here is the sheetmetal on an i4 development vehicle that launches 3 months later.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/i4/

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-24-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #98
stobit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wrong.
I provided the production launch date.

Here is the sheetmetal on an i4 development vehicle that launches 3 months later.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/i4/
it says i4 EV not 430/40. this is i series lineup

it may look like gran coupe but there may not be a ICE 4 series version out of this body at all.

so far there is only coupe 430/40 camouflage online
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #99
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
it says i4 EV not 430/40

it may look like gran coupe but there may not a ICE 4 series version out of this body at all.

so far there is only coupe 430/40 camouflage online
I can only assume you are trolling at this point. The SOP date and plant assignment for 4 GC are known to those of us working in the industry. Believe as you wish.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #100
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what makes you site superior handling when it's basically the same car but heavier

Of course, right now, we have a mix of F and G platforms in the showroom, so we need to see the new GC dimensions in the near future.
this was the only article so far I've seen who claimed GC outsold Coupe with no source cited.

the article below back to the same time claimed GC only took less than 30% total 4 series.

On road it is much rarer to see a GC than coupe in any areas probably explained something. And rumor has it bmw will remove GC from Gxx 4 series. if a model sells solid why discontinue?

The 4 gc isn't close to the GT. The GT was built on the Chinese, long wheel base f30 platform. It's a longer, heavier car than the f30, or f36. The 4gc has nearly exact dimensions as the 4 series coupe, except the gc roof is a smidge higher, and it weighs more than the f32 due to the weight of the rear hatch style trunk. At least the weight is on the rear of the car though, where it's preferable. Not that extra weight is advantageous, but if it's going to be anywhere, the rear of the car is better.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #101
stobit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 4 gc isn't close to the GT. The GT was built on the Chinese, long wheel base f30 platform. It's a longer, heavier car than the f30, or f36. The 4gc has nearly exact dimensions as the 4 series coupe, except the gc roof is a smidge higher, and it weighs more than the f32 due to the weight of the rear hatch style trunk. At least the weight is on the rear of the car though, where it's preferable. Not that extra weight is advantageous, but if it's going to be anywhere, the rear of the car is better.
I was actually not saying GC looks any like GT. It is way much better than 3GT. I just tried to say GC is like GT in terms of sale number. GC accounted for less than a third of 4 series sale from some online articles. and we do see dealers usually have more coupes than GCs on their lots.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:49 AM   #102
pollpoll
Rep

OP here. I was thinking a week and now swapping the lease could be my solution. maybe lose 3 to 4 grand for my own mistake.

Damn! there are so many 4 series coupes on roads in my area, and my neighbor also has one! It is unavoidable everyday I see someone else drives a much better looking trim of my model with the same price tag.
I tried to find the beauty out of my GC. I tried, but still can't pursued myself GC has better looking. GC is just something that doesn't look bad, if we label coupe as beautiful.

GC was only described as beautiful by someone has never seen a 4 coupe in real life I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #103
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollpoll View Post
OP here. I was thinking a week and now swapping the lease could be my solution. maybe lose 3 to 4 grand for my own mistake.

Damn! there are so many 4 series coupes on roads in my area, and my neighbor also has one! It is unavoidable everyday I see someone else drives a much better looking trim of my model with the same price tag.
I tried to find the beauty out of my GC. I tried, but still can't pursued myself GC has better looking. GC is just something that doesn't look bad, if we label coupe as beautiful.

GC was only described as beautiful by someone has never seen a 4 coupe in real life I guess.
Last time I saw a 4 series coupe in my area was like 2 months ago, it's pretty rare around here Honestly, I've seen a lot more GCs on the road as compared to Coupes. Again, in Milwaukee area, might be a different story at other places.

Also, OP, I own a coupe and even though I would prefer it over a GC, I wouldn't call it ugly. In MY OPINION, I find it pretty good looking, on par with a 3 series sedan, which I owned previously, but again, to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #104
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Why would you lose 3-4 grand? The new leader just takes over the payment. You didn't put money down on a lease did you?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #105
pollpoll
Rep

I am in Socal metropolitan area. today I spotted one M4, two 4 coupes on road (including my neighbor's) , and four coupes/convertibles in my company garage building on my 20 minutes way to work, not a single gran coupe....
That is interesting I seldom see a gran coupe in my area. even coupe vs GC shows geographic features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Last time I saw a 4 series coupe in my area was like 2 months ago, it's pretty rare around here Honestly, I've seen a lot more GCs on the road as compared to Coupes. Again, in Milwaukee area, might be a different story at other places.

Also, OP, I own a coupe and even though I would prefer it over a GC, I wouldn't call it ugly. In MY OPINION, I find it pretty good looking, on par with a 3 series sedan, which I owned previously, but again, to each his own.

Last edited by pollpoll; 07-26-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #106
pollpoll
Rep

well....I tried to reduce payment under $500 for a $61000 price tag. So I paid upfront $955 lease acquisition fee.
Plus, I purchased and paid upfront $1200 excessive wear and tire protection (looks totally unnecessary after two months drive), put $500 down payment, plus $500 cap reduction tax, $700 registration/doc
total due at signing is $4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Why would you lose 3-4 grand? The new leader just takes over the payment. You didn't put money down on a lease did you?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #107
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
well....I tried to reduce payment under $500 for a $61000 price tag. So I paid upfront $955 lease acquisition fee.
Plus, I purchased and paid upfront $1200 excessive wear and tire protection (looks totally unnecessary after two months drive), put $500 down payment, plus $500 cap reduction tax, $700 registration/doc
I think you *might* be able to get a partial refund on your protection. If not, check if it's transferrable and include a prorated payment to you from the new leaser. You can prorate anything else you want, registration, cap reduction tax etc. Next time though just do $0 down $0 drive off. A down payment on a lease defeats the purpose of the lease and saves you essentially nothing but risks the loss if the car is totaled. Roll the fees, acquisition, and cap reduction into the lease or try to get them to pay for it. Either way, your exposure is much less. Total out of pocket will be essentially the same if you had paid upfront.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 07-26-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #108
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Newbie.... wtf did I just read

This is a least!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #109
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I am in Socal metropolitan area. today I spotted one M4, two 4 coupes on road (including my neighbor's) , and four coupes/convertibles in my company garage building on my 20 minutes way to work, not a single gran coupe....
That is interesting I seldom see a gran coupe in my area. even coupe vs GC shows geographic features.
I have seen more M2, M3, and M4s than 4 series coupes over here. Yesterday saw one girl in a white 440GC with a quad exhaust which was aligned very badly, was blasting the music at full volume
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #110
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

If I'm looking for a 2-door coupe (like my F32) I'll check out BMW for the 2-series or 4-series coupes in my price range. There are many competitors.

As soon as I decide on 4 doors, I'm checking out an SUV like a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander.

If I was forced to own a 4-door car, I'd want it to be as close as possible in specifications, comfort and driving experience as the car shown below.

podman
Attached Images

Appreciate 0