F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > OEM HUD Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

10-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #111
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Garage List
Hi deneyer I have a question about the cutting. when you cut the dashboard do you have to also cut the side vent duct? I am talking about the one that goes from the windshield to the drivers window? I know that you must change the air duct for the driver side face upper vent

Thank you.
      10-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #112
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerena View Post
Hi deneyer I have a question about the cutting. when you cut the dashboard do you have to also cut the side vent duct? I am talking about the one that goes from the windshield to the drivers window? I know that you must change the air duct for the driver side face upper vent

Thank you.
Yes it has to be cut also, but once you place the left airduct (HUD option) it covers the middle airdunct almost completly
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #113
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
Quote:

Thank you.
Yes it has to be cut also, but once you place the left airduct (HUD option) it covers the middle airdunct almost completly
Yeah but doesn't it leave the duct useless since it now has a giant hole and won't direct air to the side window??
      10-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #114
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.
Yeah but doesn't it leave the duct useless since it now has a giant hole and won't direct air to the side window??
Yes it makes the duct useless and also no airflow to windshield which makes it dangerous during rainy and snowy days. That's why I have replaced the dashboard with hud version though I cut the original dashboard and retrofitted HUD initially.
Attached Images

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #115
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
No it still works unlike what freespirit says probablly cut to much then. I didnt change the dash and cut the hole, only thing i changed was the airduct leading to the left side(64229218500). For the frontwindow air, you have to cut the hole bit by bit so it fits with minimum space (if you put the hud cover on top of dash it closes the opening for the front window airduct almost completly) and everything works great even the defrost front window (i didn't take a photo of that to show sorry)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #116
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Quote:
No it still works unlike what freespirit says probablly cut to much then. I didnt change the dash and cut the hole, only thing i changed was the airduct leading to the left side(64229218500). For the frontwindow air, you have to cut the hole bit by bit so it fits with minimum space (if you put the hud cover on top of dash it closes the opening for the front window airduct almost completly) and everything works great even the defrost front window (i didn't take a photo of that to show sorry)
Probably you're right sir.

The airvent thats close to windshield with HUD is around 1 to 2inch and without HUD seems to be around 4inch.

When I did the retrofit, unfortunately I didn't find any guide like this showing difference between the dashboards with and without HUD. I thought there's no way i can fit the HUD without cutting the vent. Though I have managed to seal the vent and fit the HUD, I was worried about the air leaks. So went with new dashboard with HUD and found a good deal for just 250 bucks

Excuse my handwriting in the pics ... posting it from passenger seat while my wife is driving... you know how bumpy and shaky the ride would be
Attached Images

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #117
chrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 and BMW Z3 M Coupe

Can anyone confirm if it is necessary to cut the ventilation duct to fit the HUD?

This retrofit is getting more and more expensive! just found out I needed to replace my cluster also. If I have to replace the dashboard, I almost feel like backing out of this retrofit!!

Parts needed so far:
HUD 62309865042
Cable for HUD ---------------
Screws for HUD 11119143167
Dashtrim for HUD 51459239336
Sound isolation for dash trim 62309236820
Windscreen 51317258072
Rain sensor 61356814596
6WB Cluster 62109442850
And now maybe also Dashboard!!
I regret starting this project. But once I have started I must complet the job.
Is it even worth trying to cut the old dashboard?

And also is it necessary to replace air duck 61119322250?

Last edited by chrbmw; 11-06-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #118
Mysta
Registered
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Probably you're right sir.

The airvent thats close to windshield with HUD is around 1 to 2inch and without HUD seems to be around 4inch.

When I did the retrofit, unfortunately I didn't find any guide like this showing difference between the dashboards with and without HUD. I thought there's no way i can fit the HUD without cutting the vent. Though I have managed to seal the vent and fit the HUD, I was worried about the air leaks. So went with new dashboard with HUD and found a good deal for just 250 bucks

Excuse my handwriting in the pics ... posting it from passenger seat while my wife is driving... you know how bumpy and shaky the ride would be
How'd you program the cluster after you finished up?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #119
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So I went ahead and got a dashboard, the cutting was definitely not an option. The dashboard is completely different when it comes to the ducts and stuff, not just a matter of replacing one duct.
https://youtu.be/EL9BHmBM2qA 20:47 mark.

Episode 2 of that serie shows the wiring, parts and all you need to make this work. Coding is next.

Last edited by allerena; 12-11-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #120
nnniiiccckkkyy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d/Bmw f36 430i

Quote:
Her are some pictures
I want to do the same retrofit. I am only unsure about the air vent. Did you have to replace it?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #121
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
So I went ahead and got a dashboard, the cutting was definitely not an option. The dashboard is completely different when it comes to the ducts and stuff, not just a matter of replacing one duct.
https://youtu.be/EL9BHmBM2qA 20:47 mark.

Episode 2 of that serie shows the wiring, parts and all you need to make this work. Coding is next.
Not true like i said i did it with my f34 if you cut it correctlly it does work and fit perfectlly! Dash is the same only difference is the airduct for the front window that is different en the side airvent is an other one to cause you have the hud hole in the dash.

But if you have any idea of what you are doing and a little handy you can use the original dash and save money there, cause its just plain stupid to spend money on that when you know what all the rest costs!

Watch added pictures, picture 1 the hole i cut in original not hud dash and you can see the hole in the airduct on the left side. The second picture with the hud dash trim on it fits perfectlly you see that the duct is completly closed by the trim!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #122
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnniiiccckkkyy View Post
I want to do the same retrofit. I am only unsure about the air vent. Did you have to replace it?

Thank you in advance
Watch my previous post, i only bought the hud version vent for the driver side vent, the airduct for the front window i cut till the hud trim fitted on it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #123
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport F34

All i can say who ever done retrofit of HUD... you are brave, i could try and attempt this, don't have issue disassembling things but just to get few bits on windshield i'm not that brave.

Well done guys, impressed with you skills and research. Love pics
      01-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #124
chrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 and BMW Z3 M Coupe

Just remember if you choose to cut your dash, you will loose almost all airflow to the upper side air duct! (Even if you choose to seal the air main duct that you cut to 1/4 of the size)
The HUD dash has a separate air duct running over the instrument cluster, to supply air to the upper duct.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #125
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrbmw View Post
Just remember if you choose to cut your dash, you will loose almost all airflow to the upper side air duct! (Even if you choose to seal the air main duct that you cut to 1/4 of the size)
The HUD dash has a separate air duct running over the instrument cluster, to supply air to the upper duct.
Like i allready said sevral times to this kind of reactions, i cut a non hud dash and had zero problems with airflow to the windshield!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #126
sstyle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC F97

Who knows does old RLS work with LCI? 61359293279 vs 61359475146 part numbers? It costs 6x times more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #127
astr0nate
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi

Anyone have a good PN for the HSD Cable?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #128
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Finally got around to doing this and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Took about an hour to pull the dash out. Lots of screws so make sure to keep track of where they all go. I also had sourced an entire wiring harness from a wrecked car which made wiring up a breeze.

The screws that are mentioned in this thread don't really work fully. The dash support bracket for a HUD car has some additional hardware that non-hud cars don't have. You would need to get the screws, bushing nut and rivet nut. #4,5, and 6 here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8375
I ended up just using a screw, a couple of broad washers and a rubber washer to mimic the setup.

I sourced a secondhand HUD dash which made things much easier. Note in the comparison pics earlier in the thread that the center speaker cover mounting is different. I'm not sure why this is the case, but the two covers aren't interchangeable. I see that BMW has a couple of different part numbers for this. Make sure you get the right cover.

There seems to be a potential software issue if you also have a retrofitted 6WB as well. Makes the hud flicker and stop working randomly. The issue is described here:
https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthre...d=29035&page=6
Might not be a problem unless your car was fully updated to the latest firmware like mine was prior to doing the 6WB and HUD.
BMW has a TIS bulletin on it too. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60352-9999.pdf

Overall, I spent about 4 hours from start to finish while taking my time.

Last edited by pdxpeter; 09-12-2022 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      07-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #129
Laxman8544
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Hi,
I知 currently in the process of collecting all the items needed to do this retrofit. I am being brave and going to cut my dash. I知 from the UK so RHD. I致e seen it definitely needs a new cold air duct for the drivers side could someone help with the part number that I require? Getting mixed messages from suppliers. Even BMW!

Thanks

I値l happily take photo evidence for a tutorial
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 04:27 PM   #130
fabje
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman8544 View Post
Hi,
I知 currently in the process of collecting all the items needed to do this retrofit. I am being brave and going to cut my dash. I知 from the UK so RHD. I致e seen it definitely needs a new cold air duct for the drivers side could someone help with the part number that I require? Getting mixed messages from suppliers. Even BMW!

Thanks

As far as I know it is not possible to buy the cold air duct, it is a complete new dash with HUD or nothing

Or maybe source one from a broken BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:13 PM   #131
Damnir
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman8544 View Post
Hi,

Thanks

Appears to be part # 64229218501 for RHD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #132
Damnir
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by astr0nate View Post
Anyone have a good PN for the HSD Cable?
I am also looking for the proper cable. I ordered one that was mentioned a few pages back (# 61119258857) which appears to be wrong. I have not attempted to do the retrofit yet since I am taking my time, but I believe the proper cable should have a 90 degree connector on one end.
Appreciate 0