F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MG flasher - mobile App for B58 Fxx/Gxx tuning -- NOW LIVE!!!
GetBMWParts

04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #287
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 318is, 328i, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlue View Post
Jarek@JRAuto You have stated right here in this thread that you have a custom tune that address this specific issue with our auto trans. Now the only option is ST2 ? What gives??? Is it no longer available or did it not work as intended?

Update us please!
I asked a very similar question VIA PM. Never got a response. Jarek said, in this thread I believe, that he could do a tune that sits at the trans limit, ups the power a bit, but is still OEM DP effective. I’d pay a bit more for a Stg 1.5 style tune.
      04-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #288
Jarek@JRAuto
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: G20 340i

Quote:
Jarek@JRAuto You have stated right here in this thread that you have a custom tune that address this specific issue with our auto trans. Now the only option is ST2 ? What gives??? Is it no longer available or did it not work as intended?

Update us please!
ST2 Custom map for all with stock AT 8HP transmission software is available per request and many users running it with good feedback's.

see post #196 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=196
Appreciate 1
BackBlue107.00
      04-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #289
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek@JRAuto View Post
@x5mad The problem is that you are hitting transmission protection limiter (Getriebeschutz).
You can't use ST2 with stock 8HP software - you need to program your 8HP.
Feel free to flash ST1 and perform all logs again in proper format I sent to your email please.

I'm going to create new - separate thread or MG Flasher users group for logs and deeper technical discussions.
Quote:
ST2 Custom map for all with stock AT 8HP transmission software is available per request and many users running it with good feedback's.

see post #196 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=196
Well that's what I thought, and it is good to know! I see you've edited that post to now include this information.

Give us a link to the "separate thread or MG Flasher users group for logs and deeper technical discussions" when you have it set up.

Also, what do x5mad and BrianML need to do to have access to this custom map?

Thanks, we do appreciate your prompt responses and support!

Last edited by BackBlue; 04-18-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
BrianML41.50
      04-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #290
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
@x5mad The problem is that you are hitting transmission protection limiter (Getriebeschutz).
You can't use ST2 with stock 8HP software - you need to program your 8HP.
Feel free to flash ST1 and perform all logs again in proper format I sent to your email please.

I'm going to create new - separate thread or MG Flasher users group for logs and deeper technical discussions.
Quote:

see post #196 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=196
Well that's what I thought, and it is good to know! I see you've edited that post to now include this information.

Give us a link to the "separate thread or MG Flasher users group for logs and deeper technical discussions" when you have it set up.

Also, what do x5mad and BrianML need to do to have access to this custom map?

Thanks, we do appreciate your prompt responses and support!
I already have the custom map 2 but I wanted to do some test runs on standard stage 2 as I wasn't feeling like it had 460bhp. So just wanted to compare the 2 maps. I will try the stage 1 next and see how that feels in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #291
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Have now had a chance to try the stage 1 and as suspected it feels very similar power and torque wise to the custom stage 2 map. Torque is fine as we are limiting it but the bhp is definitely not right, cannot feel that supposed 50bhp difference.

Have sent logs to Jarek and waiting to see if there is anything on my car which can be tweaked to get it right.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #292
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

We developed custom ST2 map and would like to offer it for all B58 users with stock 8HP software...
- TQ is limited to prevent torque intervention from 8HP - 540 NM up to 5000 RPM
- target 460 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Have now had a chance to try the stage 1 and as suspected it feels very similar power and torque wise to the custom stage 2 map. Torque is fine as we are limiting it but the bhp is definitely not right, cannot feel that supposed 50bhp difference.

Have sent logs to Jarek and waiting to see if there is anything on my car which can be tweaked to get it right.
Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens.

I suspect the 460HP target for the automatic 8HP custom tune was either VERY optimistic, or perhaps Jarek@JRAuto misspoke. Especially since the ST2 advertised on the MG Flasher website only claims 442HP.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #293
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

So what will happen to eco, comfort, sport, sport+ after flashing to stage 1 ?

Do u recommand different engine oil after tuning ?
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #294
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

We developed custom ST2 map and would like to offer it for all B58 users with stock 8HP software...
- TQ is limited to prevent torque intervention from 8HP - 540 NM up to 5000 RPM
- target 460 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post

Quote:

I suspect the 460HP target for the automatic 8HP custom tune was either VERY optimistic, or perhaps Jarek@JRAuto misspoke. Especially since the ST2 advertised on the MG Flasher website only claims 442HP.
OK Jarek@JRAuto The Holiday is over, it's time to pony up and answer these concerns.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #295
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK Jarek@JRAuto The Holiday is over, it's time to pony up and answer these concerns.
He hasn’t answered here or via PM. Someone told me to try to track him down via FB messenger. I want to spend money, but so far the vendor to potential customer service is poop. What if there is an actual problem with their software in my car or I have some issue or questions? I’m an adult and I don’t go about using Facebook messenger to hunt down the people I purchase my things from. Between peoples horror stories about Mission Performance and my experience with MG Flasher, I’m really starting to wonder about the validity and stability of these so called “tuners”.
      04-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #296
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianML View Post
He hasn’t answered here or via PM. Someone told me to try to track him down via FB messenger. I want to spend money, but so far the vendor to potential customer service is poop. What if there is an actual problem with their software in my car or I have some issue or questions? I’m an adult and I don’t go about using Facebook messenger to hunt down the people I purchase my things from. Between peoples horror stories about Mission Performance and my experience with MG Flasher, I’m really starting to wonder about the validity and stability of these so called “tuners”.
I’ll back down a bit. Jarek did just now reply to my PM.

One thing that I don’t like. Coming from Cobb in recent years, and even conforti in the old days, is that these companies provided a complete solution. I handed them money and they handed me everything that I need to load the software into my car. it was simple and easy. I don’t want to go on Amazon and buy X cable from this guy and Y cable from that guy and then go buy a burner Android phone from WalMart. I want to hand over my $$, get a box from the brown Santa, plug in to my car, and roll. I’m happy to pay for this level of hardware/ software combination.
      04-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #297
Bavarian MW
lurker
Rep
Drives: 16 s1000r 17 M240i 18 340i

Quote:

One thing that I don’t like. Coming from Cobb in recent years, and even conforti in the old days, is that these companies provided a complete solution. I handed them money and they handed me everything that I need to load the software into my car. it was simple and easy. I don’t want to go on Amazon and buy X cable from this guy and Y cable from that guy and then go buy a burner Android phone from WalMart. I want to hand over my $$, get a box from the brown Santa, plug in to my car, and roll. I’m happy to pay for this level of hardware/ software combination.
Please realize that this is a relatively new platform and solutions get more polished / better as time goes on. Look at the N54 now, and how the N55 has progressed more quickly.

Also, patience is a virtue. Just something I heard long ago that seems to help when I feel like you sound. Hope you don't take it the wrong way cause I get it.

SO, let me say Jarek has been awesome from the time I've had MG Flasher in beta and onward. Of course people get busy. Sometimes I won't get a response as soon as I would like, but Jarek has NEVER left me hanging. And I've had a hiccups in my experience, my first k+ DCan cable was bad and Jarek was instrumental in helping figure it out. Its when issues arrive (because that's life), that someone can show off their good service. And I've seen it from Jarek, that's why some of these comments get to me lol.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #298
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian MW View Post
Quote:

Please realize that this is a relatively new platform and solutions get more polished / better as time goes on. Look at the N54 now, and how the N55 has progressed more quickly.

Also, patience is a virtue. Just something I heard long ago that seems to help when I feel like you sound. Hope you don't take it the wrong way cause I get it.

SO, let me say Jarek has been awesome from the time I've had MG Flasher in beta and onward. Of course people get busy. Sometimes I won't get a response as soon as I would like, but Jarek has NEVER left me hanging. And I've had a hiccups in my experience, my first k+ DCan cable was bad and Jarek was instrumental in helping figure it out. Its when issues arrive (because that's life), that someone can show off their good service. And I've seen it from Jarek, that's why some of these comments get to me lol.
Well he's left several people hanging for over week now. I get that people get busy with life, but In my book that's completely unacceptable.
He's lost my business. I'll be moving onto bm3 or MP. They may cost a bit more, but it's clear with them you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 1
BrianML41.50
      04-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #299
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Well he's left several people hanging for over week now. I get that people get busy with life, but In my book that's completely unacceptable.
He's lost my business. I'll be moving onto bm3 or MP. They may cost a bit more, but it's clear with them you get what you pay for.
You are correct about "you get what you pay for" - With Jarek and his tunes, you get exactly that. Best tuner i have ever worked with. His support in BETA phase was instrumental. Everyone has different standards of "Acceptance", i personally don't mind waiting for products that are tried tested.

I have 3 Bimmers, all tuned by him. One of them has over 160k km, of which 140k are on his tune. (With it pushing over 360WHP and 600+ lbft of WTQ all this time.)
JR Auto tune and Bohl Diesel Downpipe - KWv2 coils - Apex Racing 18" EC7 wheels wrapped in Michelin PSS 245/275 F/R - Zimmerman cross drilled rotors F/R with Hawk HPS pads - SS brake lines - Motul RBF 600 - ADD W1 oil catch can - BMW performance CF spoiler
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #300
Jarek@JRAuto
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is not our intent to leave people hanging and we sincerely apologize for the delay in response. We do our very best to manage both potential and current customers concerns and queries.

I am sorry to hear that we have lost your business however we still do wish you the best of luck with your car in the future.

We have been working like dogs towards supporting E85 for our American customers and have been committing much more R&D for future add ons. I will also update the FAQ with some more pertinent information throughout the week. As always, the best avenue of contact for questions/concerns would be our email @ support@mgflasher.com

Jarek
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:06 AM   #301
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
It is not our intent to leave people hanging and we sincerely apologize for the delay in response. We do our very best to manage both potential and current customers concerns and queries.

I am sorry to hear that we have lost your business however we still do wish you the best of luck with your car in the future.

We have been working like dogs towards supporting E85 for our American customers and have been committing much more R&D for future add ons. I will also update the FAQ with some more pertinent information throughout the week. As always, the best avenue of contact for questions/concerns would be our email @ support@mgflasher.com

Jarek
Thanks Jarek@JRAuto, but let us be done with the fanboy fluff from TorqueAddict, and/or your apologies for timeliness.

How about a hard answer to the question that has already been asked!

How is it that the that 460HP 8HP custom tune you quoted is higher than the 442HP stage 2 dyno numbers listed on the MG website?
Is this only with a transmission flash from some other vendor?
Does it have a basis in reality, (ie, some proof by means of logs or dyno numbers to substantiate the claim).

I'd like to believe the butt dyno claims toughted, but as for myself... and to be sure some silent others with the 8HP... we will need to see some hard numbers to bite at this point.

+ free bump in the competitive B58 forum.

Last edited by BackBlue; 04-27-2019 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
BrianML41.50
      04-27-2019, 04:50 AM   #302
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
@Jarek Would also like a reply to my email I sent you about a week ago re log on the new stage 2 custom tune. It has to be 3rd gear WOT for now, until I can get the car onto a dyno. 4th gear pulls to redline will be too hard.

Talking about dynos I will try and get one done if schedule permits but before then (Jarek), do you have any setting recommendations for the dyno?

I tried this "dyno mode" people talking about but not sure if I'm doing it right. Get all the way to confirming dyno mode but when I select the option there is no feedback to say that it's been selected and no other changes to confirm that you have indeed activated dyno mode.
Appreciate 1
BrianML41.50
      04-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #303
Vinnyboombatzz
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Auto Trans Tune

Firstly please excuse me if this is a stupid question because I'm new to this scene but also very happy to have just discovered what seems to be a very reputable company right in my backyard so to speak.

I'm still trying to decide between which flash tune to go with for my car and wondering if/when you will have a tune for the transmission to go with stage 2/3 and beyond for us with auto's like MP has?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #304
Vinnyboombatzz
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyboombatzz View Post
Firstly please excuse me if this is a stupid question because I'm new to this scene but also very happy to have just discovered what seems to be a very reputable company right in my backyard so to speak.

I'm still trying to decide between which flash tune to go with for my car and wondering if/when you will have a tune for the transmission to go with stage 2/3 and beyond for us with auto's like MP has?

TIA
I saw the answer in your first post as what needs to be done, sorry. I'm guessing that the M240i also has this same issue with the transmission? Anyone who knows please chime in

the factory torque limiter is set to 550NM which is roughly 400ftlb tq @ the crank.

Also when will stage 3 for DP with high flow cats and catless be out?

Last edited by Vinnyboombatzz; 04-29-2019 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #305
Jarek@JRAuto
Canada
Rep

We would like to clarify a few points that have been seemingly misconstrued throughout this thread.

Our Stage 2 OTS Map rated @ 442HP is designed for vehicles with the stock exhaust system in place.

You can select the de-cat option prior to flashing which will automatically update the file directly on your android device and prepare it instantly with additional modifications. With the vehicle de-catted we have seen figures between 460-480hp. We can safely claim that the vehicle fitted with a catless downpipe will make 460hp given our experiences on the dyno.

Regarding vehicles fitted with an OPF (Otto Particulate Filter), MG Flasher automatically identifies if your vehicle is fitted with such a device and software and will update the Stage 2 Flash accordingly all through the same selection of ST2 OTS map.
Cars fitted with OPF software are different in terms of software calibrations and restrictions. We had to be mindful when calibrating these cars as there is an increase in EGTs given the nature of the OPF. When creating the calibration, we paid close attention to EGTs and took specific care into not surpassing what is considered safe limits. We were fortunate enough to have a few of our Betas users located in Germany and have received many logs which were performed on the Autobahn. These customers were able to reach speeds of over 250 km/h while still under maximum load. This gave us all the data that we needed to understand and create a very healthy and performance driven Stage 2 software.

We are currently closing in on support for our Stage 2 OTS E30 blend for users who are limited to 91 octane and would like to mix E85. More updates to come shortly on this front.

Below is the dyno graph from our Stage 2 OTS Map MPPSK 340i test car that was fitted with a catless downpipe and transmission software that removes the transmission limiters mentioned below.

Upon request we can also provide a custom map for those who do not have 8HP50 programming done to produce near the same power as our non-decatted Stage 2 OTS maps does.
8HP50 transmission has a hard limit of 550nm which equates to roughly 405 ft/lbs. As mentioned before numerous times in previous posts our target is 460hp however with transmission limitation it is very hard to make the torque curve smooth and produce more than 440 – 450hp. It might be better to explain what I am trying to say according to the logged data (log example below) and by using a very well-known and basic BHP calculation from the given TQ and RPM. The calculation would be as follows - (RPM x TQ (NM))/7120 = BHP.

Take the below example into consideration. This vehicle is fitted with our Stage 2 Custom Software where, due to the transmission limiter, is limited to roughly 535nm (just shy of the transmission limiter) It is very hard to obtain 510 – 520nm @ 6300 - 6400rpm which roughly produces the intended target of 460hp. It is clearly visible that transmission limiter has started limiting the torque at around 4500rpm and is limiting the torque up to the very end of the rpm range.

There is, as mentioned before, another way to prevent these interventions. This involves the de-calibration of factory torque calibration map found in all MG1 ECUs and others. This would basically cheat the transmission controller into believing a lower torque value is being achieved rather than what is occurring. The disadvantages of the above method are harder shifts and incorrect transmission logic operation which we noticed and were not very happy with.

With the below example the car made 437hp at 6408rpm which can be calculated with the formula listed above. This will roughly be the average we can safely make without running into intervention that will furthermore limit the ability of your vehicle. Given the cons of cheating the internal torque model we will lean everyone towards a properly implemented transmission tune that will allow you to unlock the full potential of your vehicle and give you the cleanest solution to maximize your overall power and driving experience.

UPDATE: As of today xHP has released the 8HP50 tuning option to the public!
We highly recommend fitting your vehicle with xHP’s solution for the 8HP50 transmission fitted to your vehicles. This will prevent torque intervention from the factory limiter within the transmission module that has a hard limit of 550nm which was the main problem until now.
Appreciate 5
      05-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #306
henkherrie
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2016 M140i

Thanks for explaining in more detail.

Can't find any info on the updated XHP flash for the B58? Not on their FB account or website...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #307
Vinnyboombatzz
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkherrie View Post
Thanks for explaining in more detail.

Can't find any info on the updated XHP flash for the B58? Not on their FB account or website...
https://www.xhpflashtool.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #308
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Thx MG! Great Explanations!
I moved from an awesome 6 psd MG stage 2 B58 to a factory tune S55, looking forward to the S55 tune

Cheers