F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > PSA: Don't fret about E-Sys Launchers being unavailable, just use Bimmercode
proTUNING Freaks

05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330i X-Drive

PSA: Don't fret about E-Sys Launchers being unavailable, just use Bimmercode

So I wanted to make a point to post about this for any newcomers that are looking into coding but are concerned that the favored E-Sys Launcher is no longer supported, or don't want to go through the effort of using tricks and other software to force an old version to work. You really don't need to for the most popular VO/CAFD coding options.

To this point, I have coded easy entry seat, adaptive headlamps, enhanced BT, iDrive Office, and a few other features without an E-Sys launcher, and here's how:

1. You will still need E-Sys itself and a cable for your OBD-II, but what isn't immediately clear is that you really only need E-Sys for VO coding. So by following the basic downloads and instructions for just E-Sys you can handle all your necessary VO coding at once with your laptop and move on. In fact, any guides about VO coding will tell you this should all be done at once because VO coding refreshes any involved ECUs in the process, resetting any CAFD coding you have done before.

2. Download and buy the premium version of Bimmercode, along with a BT adapter for your OBDII. I went for the OBDLink MX+ as it seemed to be the best quality solution for the price. This is where you can do all your CAFD coding after your VO coding is complete, and there are tons of videos online about using Bimmercode and its expert mode to help you.

And that's really it. I know that none of this is new information, but as someone who is still relatively new to the forum I wanted to put this information all in one place for anyone else that had the same questions about coding that I did. You are alternating between two tools to do this, but outside of that it is really simple.

Last edited by ColinGSeries; 05-14-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Bimmercode still doesn't have all the available options but I would agree it is quite a bit easier to use.

The work around for the token for Esys is as simple as running a small program and the changing the date, takes a minute.

I use both by the way
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Bimmercode still doesn't have all the available options but I would agree it is quite a bit easier to use.

The work around for the token for Esys is as simple as running a small program and the changing the date, takes a minute.

I use both by the way
What options is it missing? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Esys and Launcher are still available. Not sure what you're talking about.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24673578

05-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinGSeries View Post
What options is it missing? Just curious.
Sorry I didn't keep a list but I did notice when I was coding my new car on the weekend some items weren't listed in Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can't code some modules through bimmercode. Vdc, for example...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Esys and Launcher are still available. Not sure what you're talking about.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24673578
To be honest in my searches I never found this. I know E-Sys itself is available, but finding a launcher that was still being supported was very confusing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Can't code some modules through bimmercode. Vdc, for example...
What would I code VDC for?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Because I want to try this:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1609842

That bring said, a majority of the normal stuff people want to code is available through bimmercode. I use it for the normal things, but I'm a power user as well. I like having both the easy method, and the super powerful method that lets me do more advanced things like flash modules or vo code.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Because I want to try this:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1609842

That bring said, a majority of the normal stuff people want to code is available through bimmercode. I use it for the normal things, but I'm a power user as well. I like having both the easy method, and the super powerful method that lets me do more advanced things like flash modules or vo code.
This does sound intriguing, is this how you would retrofit M-adaptive suspension as well?

My post was more to help people get started with the very popular coding for the features everyone wants, which you don't need an E-Sys launcher for.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

A big advantage of E-Sys for the frequent coder is that you can save a snapshot of the coding for each ECU. You can compare before and after states using TokenMaster's free utility, which also has many helpful descriptions of what the codes mean. Useful even if you're using BimmerCode for the actual coding, which is what I do for quick, simple changes.

Also you can edit a batch of coding changes to an ECU's CAFD file offline, then connect to the car and apply it all in one go.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
glynharper
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Alpine White

Can you code adaptive headlights in from bimmercode?
I've got non adaptive xenons in my car (UK spec F82) but I've just successfully retrofitted High Beam Assis (5AC) but that was done with esys. Someone did it for me remotely.
My next step now I have the FLA camera and HBA working is to retrofit the adaptive LED headlamps that cut out the shapes in the road as you drive.
The guy who coded my HBA though, remotely, told me you need to use ISTA to code the adaptive LED's.

I could do with looking for a guide really as I know it's a reasonably common retrofit, with some wiring involved as well, so someone must have done a guide.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
http://tokenmaster.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynharper View Post
I've got non adaptive xenons in my car (UK spec F82) but I've just successfully retrofitted High Beam Assis (5AC) but that was done with esys. Someone did it for me remotely.
My next step now I have the FLA camera and HBA working is to retrofit the adaptive LED headlamps that cut out the shapes in the road as you drive.
The guy who coded my HBA though, remotely, told me you need to use ISTA to code the adaptive LED's.

I could do with looking for a guide really as I know it's a reasonably common retrofit, with some wiring involved as well, so someone must have done a guide.
Cheers.
You need E-Sys but you don't need the launcher. All CAFD coding pertaining to Adaptive Headlamps can be done in Bimmercode after you VO Code through E-Sys.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallba View Post
Well this is news to me. All the links I saw were directed to an old page that didn't even have a download link for his launcher any more.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynharper View Post

Cheers.
I found this cheat sheet that outlines what to do for the LCI GFHB setup. I can't find the original forum post, but this cheat sheet has just about every popular option including GFHB, and makes no mention of ISTA+:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17_...ysyqHZfwiozSb6
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
glynharper
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Alpine White

Super, thank you. My coding guy who has esys working should be able to do that for me hopefully.
Appreciate 0