F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 440i Test Drive Experiences
GetBMWParts

08-16-2019, 03:30 AM   #23
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
Good write up, surprised by your comments re the S3 VS 440i.

The wife has an S3 sportback and I have a 440i, I love getting into the S3 it has much more of a sense of occasion, it's louder, feels quicker (Certainly is in this crappy weather), has a much sportier feeling and imo has a more modern cabin than the 4 series, nappa leather is much nicer than rhino Hyde & virtual cockpit is awesome!

Don't get me wrong the 440i is a great cruiser that does thrill when you want.

I had a 335d before the 440i, effortless / quick, mile muncher but got bored of it....

Just my two pence..
Very interesting about the S3 - I'd definitely agree that it's louder and (a bit) quicker, and would be huge fun to throw down a country road, I just felt that the 440i was a bit more relaxing when you're taking it easy - and the sound of that engine (with the MPPSK) is totally addictive!
Quote:
Quote:

The wife has an S3 sportback and I have a 440i, I love getting into the S3 it has much more of a sense of occasion, it's louder, feels quicker (Certainly is in this crappy weather), has a much sportier feeling and imo has a more modern cabin than the 4 series, nappa leather is much nicer than rhino Hyde & virtual cockpit is awesome!

I had a 335d before the 440i, effortless / quick, mile muncher but got bored of it....

Just my two pence..
Very interesting about the S3 - I'd definitely agree that it's louder and (a bit) quicker, and would be huge fun to throw down a country road, I just felt that the 440i was a bit more relaxing when you're taking it easy - and the sound of that engine (with the MPPSK) is totally addictive!

Yeah I know where your coming from I didn't open my eyes and read properly, notice you have MPPSK. Mines doesn't so that will make a huge difference !

You'll love the 440i I've thoroughly enjoyed mine!
I'm now on the lookout for my next car, not sure what to go for next.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #24
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
MPPSK.....I wish I hated my neighbours.
Ha ha... Mine are old, so hopefully hard of hearing!
Lucky bastard. 😅
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #25
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

Quote:
Yeah I know where your coming from I didn't open my eyes and read properly, notice you have MPPSK. Mines doesn't so that will make a huge difference !

Strongly disagree with the S3 being faster, I have mppk and the 440i vs s3 i drove in comparison the S3 felt very strangled, and heavy... it's only bonus would be the 4wd.

Feels very dated even compared to F36 too IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #26
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
Quote:

Strongly disagree with the S3 being faster, I have mppk and the 440i vs s3 i drove in comparison the S3 felt very strangled, and heavy... it's only bonus would be the 4wd.

Feels very dated even compared to F36 too IMO.
I'm comparing to a non MPPSK 440i, it deffo feels quicker.... the S3 interior is much more modern than my 2016 440i interior.

- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #27
Apollocs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Manual

Quote:

Just my two pence..

Edit.... just read your car has MPPSK - that will be the difference !
Appreciate it is your opinion but I am going to have to say that I don't agree with much of the above.

The S3 is really no sportier feeling and as much a "point and shoot" car as the 340/440, only without the potential to have fun with the rear drive and minus the 6 pot soundtrack!

I would only rate the A3/S3 cabin as about equal to the 1/2 series (fancy seats aside) which is natural as they are in the same market segment. The virtual cockpit does nothing for me and looks like a video game. Much prefer a nice plain set of analogue dials when pressing on. Same with the flat bottom wheel, not a fan.

The Nappa may be better than 'Rhino' hide, but there was always the option of Merino which is easily as nice. Also, as far as I know you couldn't spec a full leather dash and interior on the Audi. Definitely not as plush looking as fully specced 3/4 series
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:33 AM   #28
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollocs View Post
Appreciate it is your opinion but I am going to have to say that I don't agree with much of the above.

The S3 is really no sportier feeling and as much a "point and shoot" car as the 340/440, only without the potential to have fun with the rear drive and minus the 6 pot soundtrack!

I would only rate the A3/S3 cabin as about equal to the 1/2 series (fancy seats aside) which is natural as they are in the same market segment. The virtual cockpit does nothing for me and looks like a video game. Much prefer a nice plain set of analogue dials when pressing on. Same with the flat bottom wheel, not a fan.

The Nappa may be better than 'Rhino' hide, but there was always the option of Merino which is easily as nice. Also, as far as I know you couldn't spec a full leather dash and interior on the Audi. Definitely not as plush looking as fully specced 3/4 series

Drive an S3 and a Golf R back to back, the difference is immense considering they're 90% the same components. The R handles better than the 440i by some distance and feels light on it's wheels. The S3 not so good. How Audi could ruin the handling is beyond me. I long for the day they build a car that doesn't feel stupidly nose heavy, i'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #29
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollocs View Post
Quote:

Just my two pence..

Edit.... just read your car has MPPSK - that will be the difference !

Each to their own, only giving my experiences, we've had the S3 for 1 year and the 440i (Non MPPSK) for 2.5 years.

We spec'd super sport seats in the S3 also so I guess that makes it feel more special, i take the 440i when We are going on a decent journey and the S3 when I feel like a blast.

I think I might just be getting bored with BMW interiors having had an E89 120d, E92 325d, E92 330d, F30 335d then getting an F32 440i.

Third world problems eh!

Anyway OP, you've got yourself a cracking car and I hope you thoroughly enjoy it ! I've had loads of fun in mine so far.

Appreciate 1
Apollocs106.00
      08-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #30
Apollocs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
Drive an S3 and a Golf R back to back, the difference is immense considering they're 90% the same components. The R handles better than the 440i by some distance and feels light on it's wheels. The S3 not so good. How Audi could ruin the handling is beyond me. I long for the day they build a car that doesn't feel stupidly nose heavy, i'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Yep, I'd agree that the Golf R does drive better than the S3 from an enthusiasts perspective. Although no where near as sporty and 'pointy' as the Civic for example.

The manufactures have a target demographic and market towards where the money is. Audi in particular seem to have found a model and stick rigidly to it. Works for them financially and people seem to like them, so who are we to argue? Still not my cup of tea though
Appreciate 0