F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My N20 died at 72k miles
Extreme Powerhouse

03-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #485
cally500
Rep
Drives: bmw320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, wondering how you could get the number of those affected by it. I mean, you could see the number of sales in Australia fitting those years and produce the number of engines affected and subject to this catastrophic failure.
i am sure we are not the only ones - the key seems to be the mileage - 50k+miles looks to be the red zone.

My wife does a lot of running around and I would consider we are on the upper end of kilometers /year over here, average being 14k or 8.6k miles/year.

These cars are just hitting the sweet spot now, and it will be interesting to watch the next 12-24 months as i would expect a proliferation in catastrophic breakdowns.

There was no warning, the car had been serviced by BMW at the end of September last year. Its well maintained, never driven hard, and spends most of the time in eco mode. We have owned it from new and it was purchased in mid 2012.

The breakdown came a complete surprise, was sudden and swift. Anyone owning one of these cars should be alarmed and concerned.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #486
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cally500 View Post
i am sure we are not the only ones - the key seems to be the mileage - 50k+miles looks to be the red zone.

My wife does a lot of running around and I would consider we are on the upper end of kilometers /year over here, average being 14k or 8.6k miles/year.

These cars are just hitting the sweet spot now, and it will be interesting to watch the next 12-24 months as i would expect a proliferation in catastrophic breakdowns.

There was no warning, the car had been serviced by BMW at the end of September last year. Its well maintained, never driven hard, and spends most of the time in eco mode. We have owned it from new and it was purchased in mid 2012.

The breakdown came a complete surprise, was sudden and swift. Anyone owning one of these cars should be alarmed and concerned.
If you run it in Eco mode most of the time, the AS/S sped up the process a ton.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #487
cally500
Rep

Quote:
If you run it in Eco mode most of the time, the AS/S sped up the process a ton.
The AS/S is the first thing turned off. I've seen a few people who have been worried that this may be a contributing factor but we have always disabled it -
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #488
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The AS/S is the first thing turned off. I've seen a few people who have been worried that this may be a contributing factor but we have always disabled it -
Ah, okay.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #489
cally500
Rep

In our case the first sign of trouble came late last year -

I will give you some more details once I locate my paperwork but beware of the drive train warning and what seems like a fuel problem.

I am no mechanic and am only guessing here

" the plastic guide assembly for the primary chain is made of a defective polycarbonate material that becomes brittle and breaks apart, creating debris that lodges in the crankshaft drive sprockets. The debris can cause the primary chain to skip, letting the camshafts and crankshaft fall out of sync."

I read that this can right itself but also that the pieces may eventually lodge in the oil pump chain causing it to fail.

So i am thinking that the initial drive train warning was the first indication of the disintegration of the timing chain guide assembaly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #490
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:

I will give you some more details once I locate my paperwork but beware of the drive train warning and what seems like a fuel problem.

" the plastic guide assembly for the primary chain is made of a defective polycarbonate material that becomes brittle and breaks apart, creating debris that lodges in the crankshaft drive sprockets. The debris can cause the primary chain to skip, letting the camshafts and crankshaft fall out of sync."

I read that this can right itself but also that the pieces may eventually lodge in the oil pump chain causing it to fail.

So i am thinking that the initial drive train warning was the first indication of the disintegration of the timing chain guide assembaly.
Damnit.
This is what nightmares are made of
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #491
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I wouldn't be surpised tbh.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #492
cally500
Rep

And I take no notice of the claim this is caused by lack of strict owner adherence to BMW maintenance , with BMW not willing to help people who have strayed outside their network, this is a load of bluff and BS.

They try to push the blame to the owner who most likely either pays the bill or goes away. But if maintenance was the reason for these breakdowns then those cases where the faults appear within the warranty period should never occur, but they have, and then BMW has quickly fixed the issue to keep the clients happy.

The timing chain and oil pump should not fail, it is implicit in the design of the motor and their own maintenance schedule. But they do, in and out of warrant.They know this and have changed the design of the faulty components of both of these which is a well known fact, a smoking gun which is tacit admission of the fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #493
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And I take no notice of the claim this is caused by lack of strict owner adherence to BMW maintenance , with BMW not willing to help people who have strayed outside their network, this is a load of bluff and BS.

They try to push the blame to the owner who most likely either pays the bill or goes away. But if maintenance was the reason for these breakdowns then those cases where the faults appear within the warranty period should never occur, but they have, and then BMW has quickly fixed the issue to keep the clients happy.

The timing chain and oil pump should not fail, it is implicit in the design of the motor and their own maintenance schedule. But they do, in and out of warrant.They know this and have changed the design of the faulty components of both of these which is a well known fact, a smoking gun which is tacit admission of the fault.
That is their way nowadays unfortunately.. BMW would rather skimp you on things like this other poor parts (Chargepipe) and make you pay out of pocket for it.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #494
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Not just BMW but everything... EVERYTHING.

all car manufacturers have mad recalls.
$3000 on brand new TV? Dead in 2 years.
$1000 on new phone? Dead in 2 years.
Best washer and dryer available? Cleans cloths like shit / dead in 2 years.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #495
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Not just BMW but everything... EVERYTHING.

all car manufacturers have mad recalls.
$3000 on brand new TV? Dead in 2 years.
$1000 on new phone? Dead in 2 years.
Best washer and dryer available? Cleans cloths like shit / dead in 2 years.
That's not the issue. The issue is them failing to issue a recall for a part that causes catastrophic failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #496
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's not the issue. The issue is them failing to issue a recall for a part that causes catastrophic failure.
Well of course my drunken rant was not the issue or solution
But still holds true that too many high dollar purchases now adays don't come backed by their maker.

Anyway, i hope BMW is forced to address this further vs. the extended warranty they put out. But doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #497
Previse
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i XDrive

Hey all,
I'm in the N20 bunch as well. No failures as of yet (Knock on wood). Although I've got an F10 N20 (528I Xdrive).

Curious if you guys could clear a few things up and give me some feedback. Scheduled to go to the BMW near me in the AM but i think they'll just turn me away. Curious if you think it's just a waste.

I'm at 45k Miles ATM and just called my dealer to confirm I'm covered by this. I bought the car Used (NOT CPO) and they said it does in fact link with the car and is covered until Dec 21st of 2020 or 70k Miles.

1) Does this mean if it fails and destroys the motor BMW will cover all costs? Or is this some kind of smoke and mirrors on BMW's part.

2) Is there anyway to prevent this from occurring? No sarcastic remarks please like dump the car or sell it. I'm looking to keep this for the long haul. Could I pay to have all of the defective parts replaced? If so any guesstimates of cost?

3) Will this warranty cover a change if i eventually start hearing this whining everyone is talking about ?

I took some videos of Rev ups / idle / in the cap. Could you folks take a listen and tell me your thoughts? I can't tell if the whining I'm hearing is the Turbo or I'm affected by the Timing Chain issue. I'd rather not bring it to a dealer and they charge me to tell me no you're fine.

In cap video:

Rev 1:

Rev 2:

Rev 3:

Rev 4:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #498
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
1) Yes, as long as you are under 70k.

2) Change oil and filter with OEM recommended stuff every 5k. Also code ASS off or at least make sure it rarely if ever engages/activates.

Yes, you can pay to have the old style components replaced with new part numbers before failure. Some have done this but most have not. Not positive on cost but Im sure it would be at minimum $1,500 at a good indy.

3) Take to dealer if and when whine appears and have them document the visit. If it truly is whining they will likely replace components before catastrophic failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #499
Previse
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
1) Yes, as long as you are under 70k.

2) Change oil and filter with OEM recommended stuff every 5k. Also code ASS off or at least make sure it rarely if ever engages/activates.

Yes, you can pay to have the old style components replaced with new part numbers before failure. Some have done this but most have not. Not positive on cost but Im sure it would be at minimum $1,500 at a good indy.

3) Take to dealer if and when whine appears and have them document the visit. If it truly is whining they will likely replace components before catastrophic failure.
So,
I bought the car used and it looks like the car fax only shows one oil change at 15k. There’s obviously been many more, but not on the carfax and I’m the second owner.

I have a 8 am appt tomorrow to bring up whine noise but I’m not sure if they’re gonna charge me and say go away. Do you think I should have them document that I bought it in for that and even have them do an oil change? I had oil change done from the dealer I bought from at 44k and I have 45 now. Dunno the best course of action here.

Also that tsb says pre 3/2013 vehicles. Mine was built in 10/2013. Thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #500
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
To my knowledge vehicles up to and including model year 2014 could be effected. Don't believe part numbers changed until 2015.

As for the oil changes, I wouldnt throw another one at it unnecessarily if you know you just had one recently. Keeping oil fresh is just a good preventative measure but may or may not delay or improve the chance of non failure.

I change my own oil and just went out of 50k warranty. Wont have many on record here on out with the dealer. Saving receipts wouldn't hurt. I buy everything with credit and can pull receipts if anyone ever asked. Doubt they would.

Just bringing the vehicle in to service will generate a repair order with your concerns written out. Tell them you think you hear a whining noise coming from engine. See what happens. Worst case you will leave with a copy of repair order that will state your concerns and the technician's findings.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #501
russianman92
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328I Auto 2WD N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
To my knowledge vehicles up to and including model year 2014 could be effected. Don't believe part numbers changed until 2015.

As for the oil changes, I wouldnt throw another one at it unnecessarily if you know you just had one recently. Keeping oil fresh is just a good preventative measure but may or may not delay or improve the chance of non failure.

I change my own oil and just went out of 50k warranty. Wont have many on record here on out with the dealer. Saving receipts wouldn't hurt. I buy everything with credit and can pull receipts if anyone ever asked. Doubt they would.

Just bringing the vehicle in to service will generate a repair order with your concerns written out. Tell them you think you hear a whining noise coming from engine. See what happens. Worst case you will leave with a copy of repair order that will state your concerns and the technician's findings.
Good idea. If you tell them you hear a whining noise this is what they are supposed to do: see attached. N26 Timing Bulletin.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #502
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianman92 View Post
Good idea. If you tell them you hear a whining noise this is what they are supposed to do: see attached. Attachment 1793075
If you're closer with your SA, shoot him/her an email/text with those videos. I sent mine one just to see if anything sounded close to that and he gave me the yes/no.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #503
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Previse View Post
So,
I bought the car used and it looks like the car fax only shows one oil change at 15k. There’s obviously been many more, but not on the carfax and I’m the second owner.
Carfax generally only shows information that's been posted to a governmental data base, usually on the state level, such as registrations, inspections and reported accidents. They can't list what hasn't been reported, and routine maintenance isn't something that's reported to the DMV. When done by the dealer it's usually reported to BMW, and should be in the car's iDrive history as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #504
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Carfax generally only shows information that's been posted to a governmental data base, usually on the state level, such as registrations, inspections and reported accidents. They can't list what hasn't been reported, and routine maintenance isn't something that's reported to the DMV. When done by the dealer it's usually reported to BMW, and should be in the car's iDrive history as well.
Exactly. Ask your SA to provide you with a service history report.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #505
528xi612
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 528xi

Exclamation hi guys i have a 2012 528xi it currently doesnt start

i have thrown about 5k USD down the drain on it at the moment she have 87k miles, i had replaced vanos sensor/motor/ the shaft that is connected to the motor of the vanos, also the DME at this point.. so i don't know what else to do if it doesn't start after this. any suggestions help it be grateful thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #506
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528xi612 View Post
i have thrown about 5k USD down the drain on it at the moment she have 87k miles, i had replaced vanos sensor/motor/ the shaft that is connected to the motor of the vanos, also the DME at this point.. so i don't know what else to do if it doesn't start after this. any suggestions help it be grateful thanks in advance.
Can you shed some light on your issues? We can't help you if you don't tell us what's going wrong, what codes are you getting, what all you've done to fix it, etc.

Give us that and we can try to help.

Appreciate 0