F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Peak District - Great Drives
proTUNING Freaks

01-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F32 6MT (MPPK, MPE)

Peak District - Great Drives

Hi All,

I am taking a trip up to Manchester in the spring and am thinking of taking a detour to the Peak District to check out some of the great driving roads they are supposed to have there.

Snake pass is one that keeps coming up. Has anyone driven it recently? What’s it like? Is it corner after corner of smooth, progressive driving bliss where you can push on confidently, or will I find myself slowing down to less than ideal speeds avoiding potholes and rough bits of road to save my suspension and avoid annoying rattles developing?
(A bad experience on Honister Pass in the Lake District after someone told me it was a great driving road forces me to ask this question - I don’t think they realised I had a bmw with m sport suspension and not a Landrover Discovery!)

Can anyone recommend any other great driving roads in the Peak District?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:30 AM   #2
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQMp5135 View Post
Hi All,

I am taking a trip up to Manchester in the spring and am thinking of taking a detour to the Peak District to check out some of the great driving roads they are supposed to have there.

Snake pass is one that keeps coming up. Has anyone driven it recently? What’s it like? Is it corner after corner of smooth, progressive driving bliss where you can push on confidently, or will I find myself slowing down to less than ideal speeds avoiding potholes and rough bits of road to save my suspension and avoid annoying rattles developing?
(A bad experience on Honister Pass in the Lake District after someone told me it was a great driving road forces me to ask this question - I don’t think they realised I had a bmw with m sport suspension and not a Landrover Discovery!)

Can anyone recommend any other great driving roads in the Peak District?

Thanks!
It's smooth road, but limited to 50 all the way I think, speed cameras at various points and busy. Same for the Cat and Fiddle which is speed camera'd and policed heavily.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdrury View Post
It's smooth road, but limited to 50 all the way I think, speed cameras at various points and busy. Same for the Cat and Fiddle which is speed camera'd and policed heavily.
Cat and Fiddle has average speed cameras on it, has done for years.

Not sure the Snake Pass has any on right now, it certainly didn't last year when I last went over. Signs warning of possible mobile cameras, but I've been over a lot and not seen any.

It can be busy ish, but you can always pull over and find a decent gap to drive how you want in it. Plus, there are some decent overtaking opportunities if you only get stuck behind one or two cars/trucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Definitely no cameras on the Snake Pass just checked on speed camera map website.

If you do head to it, better off coming from Chesterfield, or Dronfield to get to it, rather than Sheffield. Some decent country roads before you get to the Snake Pass then.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
CJF30
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I used to drive out to Buxton from Manchester quite often - my favourite route out was through Wilmslow, Adlington, wind up through the hills past Pott Shrigley, down through Kettleshulme, and in to Whaley Bridge. Lovely driving roads and usually quiet (weekdays anyway). From there, there is a great road out to Buxton with spectacular views.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Avoid any of those roads at weekends or you'll be watching for speed vans / unmarked cars and dodging the organ donors.
A mid week summer evening, 9pm onwards is usually best nowadays so you get a chance to enjoy the road and keep your licence....
      01-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF30 View Post
I used to drive out to Buxton from Manchester quite often - my favourite route out was through Wilmslow, Adlington, wind up through the hills past Pott Shrigley, down through Kettleshulme, and in to Whaley Bridge. Lovely driving roads and usually quiet (weekdays anyway). From there, there is a great road out to Buxton with spectacular views.
I used to use that route in reverse heading out to Warrington or Liverpool... the road up through the middle of the farm by Pott Shrigley was interesting!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Donny_1962
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF30 View Post
Travelled this way for over two years, most Fridays. But at Kettleshulme, do not carry onto Whaley bridge but take a turn onto Side End Lane, and head into the Goyt Valley (great views, never seen a camera van on this road) then onto The Street, then Goyt's Lane over the reservoirs to Buxton. From Buxton go any direction and you will find good roads.
      01-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I live in Sheffield and have lived in/the peaks all my life. Unless you plan to drive at 6am on a Sunday morning I would say don't bother unfortunately. There's just far too many tourists and camera vans.

The Snake isn't a great road for pressing on, but the Cat and Fiddle is.

You really can't beat North Wales for some good fun. I've done tons of runs with car clubs the and it's fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i AT

Know the road well and don't believe there are any fixed cameras on it . Haven't seen mobile units for a while .

I like it for a drive but expect to be held up at some stage . There are succinct passing places but only if you know the road well. Watch out for the weather to avoid getting stranded. Oh and don't hold me uo if I'm on a charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all for the great recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
I live in Sheffield and have lived in/the peaks all my life. Unless you plan to drive at 6am on a Sunday morning I would say don't bother unfortunately. There's just far too many tourists and camera vans.

You really can't beat North Wales for some good fun. I've done tons of runs with car clubs the and it's fantastic.
That is a shame, but I expect it could still be a fun road even while driving at the speed limit?

Is the Cat and Fiddle better because there are less tourists and cameras or because the road itself is better?

I'm actually planning a trip to North Wales for the Summer. Can't wait!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:43 AM   #13
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQMp5135 View Post
That is a shame, but I expect it could still be a fun road even while driving at the speed limit?

Is the Cat and Fiddle better because there are less tourists and cameras or because the road itself is better?

I'm actually planning a trip to North Wales for the Summer. Can't wait!

Thanks.
Cat and Fiddle is the better road but has an average speed trip . My advice would be to fill up and do both. I do love Snakes Pass though , nice twisty bits and a few very fast long straights.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:18 AM   #14
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
Bakwell to Owler bar on the outskirts of Sheffield is a superb stretch if road , punctuated by baslow !!
Done this and enjoyed it many a time !!
There is a section called 13 sisters I think , several bends back to back an absolute hoot provided traffic is light , great fun in the Tuono , its the sort of road the bike was made for .
You have to pick the right time of day espessh in the car ,
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
Bakwell to Owler bar on the outskirts of Sheffield is a superb stretch if road , punctuated by baslow !!
Done this and enjoyed it many a time !!
There is a section called 13 sisters I think , several bends back to back an absolute hoot provided traffic is light , great fun in the Tuono , its the sort of road the bike was made for .
You have to pick the right time of day espessh in the car ,
13 bends I think it’s called - for a reason...

Also an accident blackspot, often bikers. Used to use it a lot. Spoilt by bikers who think rules like solid white lines don’t apply to them, they are immortal and can ride like Kenny Roberts...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Try goung from Matlock to buxton this wayhttps://www.google.com/maps/dir/Matlock/Buxton/@53.1778867,-1.7745569,12.09z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x487987e12d158689:0xdfc 8a7f7df668c75!2m2!1d-1.551774!2d53.137156!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a2414c22d7fa1: 0xca079a2151fbb5bf!2m2!1d-1.91483!2d53.259082!3e0!5i2

No cameras, and a quieter route
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post

I did the Evo triangle didn't think it was worth the time it took to get there - day would have been better spent bombing around the Peak District . There's roads aplenty up North
Appreciate 0