F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering coding
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #23
chakatrain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328i x-drive wagon

My local shop said they could see that there is no record of my 2015 F31 having any software update since 2016. They say they can check the car to see if the car shows the last current software versions and that they can update the car to the latest versions, including the relevant SIBs. Not sure I am understating if they they need to update the specific SIB to address the steering (SIB 32 03 19) or if the latest SIB sort of captures all changes made up to that point. I’ll learn more tomorrow.

Fingers crossed this update makes a difference.
2013 BMW X1 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #24
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakatrain View Post
My local shop said they could see that there is no record of my 2015 F31 having any software update since 2016. They say they can check the car to see if the car shows the last current software versions and that they can update the car to the latest versions, including the relevant SIBs. Not sure I am understating if they they need to update the specific SIB to address the steering (SIB 32 03 19) or if the latest SIB sort of captures all changes made up to that point. I’ll learn more tomorrow.

This is the exact same thing I got today.
      04-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #25
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:

I took my car in for something unrelated to this. They told me my software was old and I should probably update it. $500 later, and its updated. I thought the steering felt heavier and all around better, but chalked it up to being used to my g20 330i loaner's loose steering for 3 days.

I didnt connect the dots at all until I read some of this thread.

Now I'm fairly certain the update improved the steering on my THP 340i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #26
chakatrain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328i x-drive wagon

Update: My local shop ran this SIB and all available updates for my 2015 F31 X-drive wagon. Turns out there had been not software updates since new, so I’m glad I did it. The actual update took a full day with the car plugged in. Shop charged $200 to oversee all this. I was happy to spend this to get a professional opinion on the car’s mechanical worthiness and get the software updated to see if made any difference.

Results: dead spot on center remains. I think that I do *maybe* feel a tiny incremental improvement, or perhaps it’s exactly the same as before the updates. This might simply be placebo. It certainly didn’t make a night and day different, if it made any difference at all.

For what it’s worth, the mechanic also drove the car before and after the updates. He said that my steering feel is actually pretty good for the F31 generation and confirmed that these do have dead spots, often, in his opinion.

So...at least now I know two things:
1. The steering is working as intended, nothing broken or overly worn out
2. The car has the latest updates, TSBs and SIBs installed, giving it every change to benefit from these updates.

Now I have to decide if I can live with the vague steering feel and the small dead spot on center, or if it’s time to sell this and move on to a different experience.
2013 BMW X1 (Sold)
Appreciate 2
BimR245.00
jvit27110.00
      04-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #27
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Update: My local shop ran this SIB and all available updates for my 2015 F31 X-drive wagon. Turns out there had been not software updates since new, so I’m glad I did it. The actual update took a full day with the car plugged in. Shop charged $200 to oversee all this. I was happy to spend this to get a professional opinion on the car’s mechanical worthiness and get the software updated to see if made any difference.

Results: dead spot on center remains. I think that I do *maybe* feel a tiny incremental improvement, or perhaps it’s exactly the same as before the updates. This might simply be placebo. It certainly didn’t make a night and day different, if it made any difference at all.

For what it’s worth, the mechanic also drove the car before and after the updates. He said that my steering feel is actually pretty good for the F31 generation and confirmed that these do have dead spots, often, in his opinion.

So...at least now I know two things:
1. The steering is working as intended, nothing broken or overly worn out
2. The car has the latest updates, TSBs and SIBs installed, giving it every change to benefit from these updates.

Now I have to decide if I can live with the vague steering feel and the small dead spot on center, or if it’s time to sell this and move on to a different experience.
I feel your pain! The first few weeks I had my '16 F30, the steering felt really weird. Maybe I'm used to it now so I notice it less but it's still not enjoyable. I feel the Guilia handles much better but...I only had a short drive in it so I could be imagining things 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #28
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Funny this discussion has come up again.

After getting the Shockware tune which fixed the float/bob in the M Adaptive suspension, I find the on-center slop in the steering more noticeable. At highway speed I can feel the resistance on center "hunt" slightly and it's pretty annoying.

I'd be pretty happy if I could either disable it outright, or simply code in Sport steering 100% of the time regardless of what mode the rest of the car is in.
      04-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #29
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep

Just like the prior few posts, I asked that the dealership, Bill Jacobs in Naperville, IL look into updating the steering on my 16 F31 to SIB 32 03 19 during an oil change (had a $25 off coupon). And just like chakatrain, there was an overall software update that could be done. So I went that route for $290.00.

The steering may be slightly different, but not much. It seems the center numbness is now a smaller area, but still there. Understeer is still present at a little push into the curves at speed.

The G20 330xi loaner had a better center feel than my F31 and didn't understeer as much at all. It did have a sportier feel. Sport steering was horrendous as there was weird feedback that didn't really need to be there, like the tires bouncing, really weird.

One of the articles I read in Car and Driver stated that the steering motor turns off at the center and turns on when the steering wheel is moved off center. This seems to be where the problem lies. I asked why can't that be programmed out. Of course, they can't as this saves approximately .01% in gas mileage. I use approximate as I am not sure the exact # from the article 6 years ago.

Overall the F31 is a nice step up from my E91 in many ways except for the reason I always liked Bimmer's and that is overall driver engagement and feel. I am a road bike guy so I always appreciated the feel of the road. Electric steering is here to stay though.
      04-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
Just like the prior few posts, I asked that the dealership, Bill Jacobs in Naperville, IL look into updating the steering on my 16 F31 to SIB 32 03 19 during an oil change (had a $25 off coupon). And just like chakatrain, there was an overall software update that could be done. So I went that route for $290.00.

The steering may be slightly different, but not much. It seems the center numbness is now a smaller area, but still there. Understeer is still present at a little push into the curves at speed.

The G20 330xi loaner had a better center feel than my F31 and didn't understeer as much at all. It did have a sportier feel. Sport steering was horrendous as there was weird feedback that didn't really need to be there, like the tires bouncing, really weird.

One of the articles I read in Car and Driver stated that the steering motor turns off at the center and turns on when the steering wheel is moved off center. This seems to be where the problem lies. I asked why can't that be programmed out. Of course, they can't as this saves approximately .01% in gas mileage. I use approximate as I am not sure the exact # from the article 6 years ago.

Overall the F31 is a nice step up from my E91 in many ways except for the reason I always liked Bimmer's and that is overall driver engagement and feel. I am a road bike guy so I always appreciated the feel of the road. Electric steering is here to stay though.
Do you have the variable sport steerng? Mine does, and that update made the feel a lot better compared to the version the car was delivered with.

I have seen other threads about improving feel. Apparently swapping the lower front control arms with the M3 version (you do need an alignment once this is done), changes the camber and makes it a lot better.

Never tried it though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #31
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Do you have the variable sport steerng? Mine does, and that update made the feel a lot better compared to the version the car was delivered with.

I have seen other threads about improving feel. Apparently swapping the lower front control arms with the M3 version (you do need an alignment once this is done), changes the camber and makes it a lot better.

Never tried it though.
I don't have the variable sport steering. You are correct in that there needs to be chassis mods to correct the understeer. Not sure that helps the center/off center steering issue. I've looked at different options, but haven't pulled the trigger.
      04-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
I don't have the variable sport steering. You are correct in that there needs to be chassis mods to correct the understeer. Not sure that helps the center/off center steering issue. I've looked at different options, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Just wondering. The software update fixed mine (but I do have VSS). I am happier with the update vs how the car was delivered though. I was pretty disappointed on how it felt like an old, partially worn out, pre-power steering vehicle on center. Just a huge dead spot.
Appreciate 2
Danddd74.50
jvit27110.00
      06-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #33
AndriusL
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 LCI, BMW F31 LCI

Hello,
I have changed my broken electrical power steering, and how I should coded the new one (it's used, from other car)? Cause not find any normally explained instruction.
Thank you, for help.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #34
335ibluesfan
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i XDrive M-Sport

I know this threads is from a while ago but its the only one I could find relevant to this issue I am finding in my newly purchased 2014 BMW 335i xdrive with M-Sport. The “dead spot” or numbness or “drift” in the power steering reminds me 100% of an issue I had with my 2014 Audi S4. through a lot of coding searching and work with another S4 owner he and I were able to root out the cause. It was a feature in the steering module called something to the effect of “driver steering suggestion” it was software created by a company and installers into the 2014 model year S4. When we switched OFF this “feature” the issue went away completely and never returned. I am wondering if this is the same issue on this car.

I ended up helping the local Audi shop “fix” this one a bunch of their sold cars as they were getting constant complaints and weren’t legally allowed to code this off.

Any thoughts? Has anyone looked into the steering module in these cars closely for a feature like this that could be turned off?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #35
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ibluesfan View Post
Has anyone looked into the steering module in these cars closely for a feature like this that could be turned off?
Pretty sure you can change the EPS settings using ESYS and code in different options. I did this with my M2 and changed it from the standard F87 setting to M4GTS which made the steering feel much nicer. Not sure if the M settings would be available on non-M cars or what the various options would be as I haven't looked into this for my F30, but I assume you could code in something like the 340i settings which may be revised/updated from what you currently have.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #36
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ibluesfan View Post
I know this threads is from a while ago but its the only one I could find relevant to this issue I am finding in my newly purchased 2014 BMW 335i xdrive with M-Sport. The “dead spot” or numbness or “drift” in the power steering reminds me 100% of an issue I had with my 2014 Audi S4. through a lot of coding searching and work with another S4 owner he and I were able to root out the cause. It was a feature in the steering module called something to the effect of “driver steering suggestion” it was software created by a company and installers into the 2014 model year S4. When we switched OFF this “feature” the issue went away completely and never returned. I am wondering if this is the same issue on this car.

I ended up helping the local Audi shop “fix” this one a bunch of their sold cars as they were getting constant complaints and weren’t legally allowed to code this off.

Any thoughts? Has anyone looked into the steering module in these cars closely for a feature like this that could be turned off?
I'd check if software update for steering: SIB 32-03-19 is applicable for your model year. That fixed my 2016 340 with variable sport steering. I had the exact complaint as you pre-update.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #37
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Just a note.
Many people love the softer feel of non run-flat tires.
However, recent BMW models have all had their Electronic Power Steering Systems designed with runflat tires in mind.

The stiff sidewalls of runflats quicken Steering response, increase Steering effort, and sharpen Steering inputs. They also narrow that dead zone at center.

On each of my last E90 330i Msport, E60 535i Msport, and F10 535i Msport, I switched back to non run flats. The E90 And E60 had good hydraulic power steering systems. The F10 was Electronic. In all cases the non run flats made the steering more numb, less responsive on center, and required more steering input for the same amount of actual turning of the vehicle at speed.

In all cases, the steering was sportier and more accurate with runflats.
To me the increased ride softness was overcome by softness added to the steering and handling too. I always went back to runflats.

We also have a CTS in the family. Going from rfts to non runflats did the same there too. In all instances the runflats were factory equipment and the non runflats switched too were Michelin PSS, PS2, AS3+, or Continental DWS. The DWS was the worst offender and will sap all kinds of feel and response from your car.

Now on to the F30...
The steering in the F30 falls short, even in stock form on stock runflats.
Removing the runflats is going to highlight this even more.
Bad shocks, kill the steering feel too. On my F10, a set of Koni shocks and H&R sways infused the steering with newfound on center feel, sharpness, and a heft that rivaled my E60s hydraulic system.

The problem with the F30 system is multifold. The software is less than optimal, the racks seem to fail in all kinds of ways, and the suspension is tuned in a way that hurts steering feel too.

If your rack is good. Make sure your tires are appropriate for the feel you want, and that your software is up-to-date, and maybe start looking at mods that replace the F30's loose suspension.

Last edited by thakid22; 08-07-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #38
TacTurtle222
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon

BUMP!

Anybody know if there's a way to check to see if SIB 32-03-19 has been performed on my car without taking it to the dealership?

Also, if it HASN'T been performed, is there a way to do it myself?
Appreciate 0