F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i exhaust questions
ARMA SPEED

03-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
Pringles
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

435i exhaust questions

Hey guys, i have a 435i with the mpe and res delete. I was wondering if removing the secondary cat will make any difference in sound? If so, how different? Im also debating opening the mpe muffler and straight piping the middle perforated pipe. Will it almost sound like its completely straight piped? What if i end up removing the secondary cat and remove the perforated pipe inside the muffler, how will it sound? I dont wanna remove the muffler completely as i wanna keep the valves and i plan on going catless soon as well. Just wanna make it as loud/deep tone as possible. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #2
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Well the resonator is what gives you the deep tone, without it your exhaust will be raspy. The catalytic converter is a big restriction in terms of noise and it will definitely get louder with it removed, and also smelly. If you're set on removing the cat, I'd remove that first before straight piping your muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

If you go catless downpipe, you will probably want to put the resonator back on (unless you don't care about cabin drone). I personally am more than happy with MPE + res delete but it sounds like you may need to swap out the downpipe for the deep/louder tone you're after.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Pringles
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

hmm okay, what about removing the secondary cat? will it make a difference? also with straight piping the muffler, will it sound like i have a muffler delete?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

noob question, BUT the 435x gc have two cats correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
If you go catless downpipe, you will probably want to put the resonator back on (unless you don't care about cabin drone). I personally am more than happy with MPE + res delete but it sounds like you may need to swap out the downpipe for the deep/louder tone you're after.
435i have MPE and wants to delete the resonator do you recommend it? What the difference will be?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
Quote:
435i have MPE and wants to delete the resonator do you recommend it? What the difference will be?
It does help the MPE and I'd recommend it overall. It will make cold starts louder and you might not want to do it if you have an aftermarket downpipe. Resonator delete maybe increases volume 15-20%. I ended up selling my MPE and upgrading to AWE.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It does help the MPE and I'd recommend it overall. It will make cold starts louder and you might not want to do it if you have an aftermarket downpipe. Resonator delete maybe increases volume 15-20%. I ended up selling my MPE and upgrading to AWE.
Everything is stock except for the MPE.

So is the AWE much better than MPE, does it burble alot?

Can you send me the link for the one that you bought?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's the same for 435 and 335 - link is here:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/make/bmw/...32-435-exhaust
Currently they have a black Friday sale.

AWE is more aggressive and louder. I like it a lot more, personally. MPE isn't bad, but I think it pairs best with a catless downpipe. AWE might be too aggressive for some people. Yes it burbles a lot, but I have an aftermarket catted downpipe. Burbles can be adjusted in bootmod3 though. I have my burbles turned down in BM3 because there were too many for me.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:

AWE in stock 435i....is not much louder than MPE during regular driving....only when you open up that throttle that it gets louder (but not much)....same with burble, it only amplifies it on wide open throttle.

When people say they got burble that's because they have a tune on there car.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:

AWE in stock 435i....is not much louder than MPE during regular driving....only when you open up that throttle that it gets louder (but not much)....same with burble, it only amplifies it on wide open throttle.

Yup. I think resonator delete with maybe open intake will be fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Have you had both MPE and AWE on your car?
I have, and I can say there is a considerable difference.

Also, even at OEM burble setting in BM3, AWE had stronger/louder burbles.

Looks like you don't even have an N55, so not sure where your feedback is coming from. This forum already has enough misinformation and assumptions thrown around.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you had both MPE and AWE on your car?
I have, and I can say there is a considerable difference.

Also, even at OEM burble setting in BM3, AWE had stronger/louder burbles.

Looks like you don't even have an N55, so not sure where your feedback is coming from. This forum already has enough misinformation and assumptions thrown around.
Do I need to have an n55 to comment.... no. But I do have a friend and a cousin who have and hangout with all the time and just us trio... one with f30 n55 stock with MPE, cousin have 435i with awe started stock with bm3 s2 now. Me ya I got an F36 with quad awe and bm3 s1. Sound like my car louder than that MPE 335i but not much and that 435i is just as loud as my f36 but definitely have lots more burble because he has stage 2.

Sorry for owning a lowly F36 428i.... yup it has extra door and it is slower that yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I need to have an n55 to comment.... no. But I do have a friend and a cousin who have and hangout with all the time and just us trio... one with f30 n55 stock with MPE, cousin have 435i with awe started stock with bm3 s2 now. Me ya I got an F36 with quad awe and bm3 s1. Sound like my car louder than that MPE 335i but not much and that 435i is just as loud as my f36 but definitely have lots more burble because he has stage 2.

Sorry for owning a lowly F36 428i.... yup it has extra door and it is slower that yours.
The only one who thinks "lowly" of your 428i is clearly yourself.
My mention simply referred to the fact that it's a completely different engine which sounds different than an N55.

Even if you compare the mufflers between the MPE and AWE - totally different technology, size, and restriction. AWE is essentially a drone-free resonated muffler delete, about the size of our glovebox. MPE is basically the same as an OEM muffler with less sound reduction packing. If your "cousin" has a stg2 435i with AWE, then he should have an aftermarket downpipe, which means it would be significantly louder than a stock 335i with MPE or 428i with AWE & OEM DP.

At the end of the day it's very hard to tell the differences in Youtube videos - in person is the only consistent way to determine this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Hey guys, i have a 435i with the mpe and res delete. I was wondering if removing the secondary cat will make any difference in sound? If so, how different? Im also debating opening the mpe muffler and straight piping the middle perforated pipe. Will it almost sound like its completely straight piped? What if i end up removing the secondary cat and remove the perforated pipe inside the muffler, how will it sound? I dont wanna remove the muffler completely as i wanna keep the valves and i plan on going catless soon as well. Just wanna make it as loud/deep tone as possible. Thanks
OP as you can see people have very different experiences with exhaust mods. Per your question removing the resonator will give your car sounding raspy. The resonator give it a deep tone. As was experience by another poster.

You also mention removing secondary cat (your keeping the resonator) then removing perforated pipe inside the muffler. (This is alot fo work and we for sure don't know how it will sound like)....I never encountered this except on an m3 v8 with unpack exhaust sound not loud at all.
Anyway at the end you mention catless dp... I would say just catless and keep everything stock. That's sounds better to me.
Appreciate 0