F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Possible Flood Damage
proTUNING Freaks

05-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
kalalau
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i x-drive

Possible Flood Damage

Last week we received about 6" of rain Saturday night and Sunday in the western suburbia of Chicago. My car ended up sitting in 1' of water up to the bottom of the doors for 1-2 hours. The front passenger side had under 1" water on the floorboard. I went straight to the car wash and vacuumed out the water the best I good and sprinkled baking soda where it was wet. What water damage should I be concerned about to the interior, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, and front end? My car has been parked for over a week and has an appointment with the local dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd be worried about mold / mildew on the inside. The inside takes forever to dry out the carpets.

The rest of the drive train should be sealed, so there *shouldn't* be any issues there, but others might correct me on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
TommyG-inFlaNow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Everything underneath should be fine. The interior is the issue. Many modules and wiring connections under the carpet. Being in the Autobody industry "most" insurance companies will total a vehicle if there is visible damage to the interior. Seeing as you already cleaned it out, they may now question the validity of your claim unless you have photos.

The correct way to do this is having the dealer remove the interior. Seats and center console and replace the carpeting. Dealer pricing however, could cause the vehicle to total just by that and you may wait a significant time for a replacement carpet as they aren't just sitting in stock at any dealers.

I could go on and on about this but.....if you get involved and tell the insurance NOT to total it but leave the electronics as open items on the claim, you can go back to the insurance for replacement if they fail down the road due to corrosion etc.

It can get complicated, but MOST people want their car totalled the minute it is penetrated by water. If by chance this happened to be salt water you def. want it totalled. Being in Illinois you should be better off with fresh water
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The carpet and padding beneath it will probably have to be replaced. With luck that's all.
Appreciate 0