F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hit an object on the M25
ARMA SPEED

05-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Hit an object on the M25

I swear I'm having no luck with this car. Been in and out of garages due to suspension issues, poor garage work, you name it. Driving home with my son tonight, on the 3rd lane of the M25, there was a solid concrete/metal block, slap bang in the middle of the lane. I was doing maybe 60-70mph and there were cars in either lane next to me. So as much as it crept up on me fast, I had no viable option to avoid it. Anyway, I drove over it and it made a god awful racket under the car.

The car itself drove fine after, fluids fine, tyres fine… but cars were flashing me after. I pulled over and couldn't see anything at the rear, but at the front, the floor cover is detached and a load of scuffs on the bumper. Only managed to take one photo so far (attached), but will take more tomorrow.

Reported it to highways England - they have no interest in claiming any responsibility as they said debris isn't covered. On hold to the AA now to get a damage report from them. I'm hoping it's roadworthy if no fluid has leaked, but need to get it onto a ramp asap. So p*seed off right now though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Sorry to read this and sounds pretty horrendous. The most important thing at those speeds is that you didn't lose control and no one was harmed or put in danger.

The car did its job after all…frustrating yes! Interesting to see how extensive the damage is.
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      05-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Ran over a dead small deer on the road in similar circumstances in my 320d in 2015, mrs I and kids enroute to airport to catch a flight to sister in laws wedding.
Huge racket after impact but kept driving the last 16 miles as wedding was next day and not reaching the airport was not an option!
Parked car at airport attended wedding returned back a few days later and drove it(still making a racket,) straight to my local indy.
£200 to replace engine shield which had broken and was being dragged. £200 for paint job by local revive uk type franchise.
The Indy stated that it was the most revolting smel he had encountered while working on the undersurface of the car as bits of the carcass were stuck abd a few days old.
In summary hopefully you'll be ok and take it to a good indy.
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      05-14-2022, 11:49 PM   #4
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Well that’s just pants, and sorry to hear your run of shit luck.

Hopefully it just the bumper for a repaint, (although if the scuffs are bad it might need a new one, ) and a replacement belly pan.

Love the reg btw!
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      05-15-2022, 01:15 AM   #5
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Sounds a bit scary! Think you been a bit lucky there....hopefully confirmed when on a ramp
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      05-15-2022, 03:42 AM   #6
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Good news is though that it didnt take any cooling matrix out. That does get expensive. On way to us at Christmas my son encountered a small (flying) spanner kicked up by another car. No body damage other than plastic grill. But £1700 of radiator repairs according to BMW. Indie sorted it for £450.
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      05-15-2022, 04:07 AM   #7
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Wow - debris on motorway can be lethal. Main thing is you are ok.

Hopefully it's not too expensive to fix. I had a much less dramatic rogue hub cup hit my x3. BMW wanted £££ as it took out wheel speed sensor etc.
drove home in limp mode and got part from eBay Germany for 50 quid, 150 in chips away fees.

BMW assist guy came to fit part for free dealer wanted thick end of a grand almost IIRC
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 04:14 AM   #8
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

I was contemplating getting breakdown company out to assess it to see if it's roadworthy, potentially it's just a damaged belly pan. Anyway, the Missus has AA Gold cover membership, and honestly, what a joke they are. They said they would come and assess it… for anything between £300 and £600. Just to come and assess it! She questioned why, as she has Accident Assist, they basically said it covers nothing other than a flat tyre or a flat battery on the roadside.

There's an Indy on my road, so I'll nurse it there in the morning. Just checked my insurance, my excess is £800! Not sure how I missed that anomaly…. So need to find out if the damage will cost more than that at an Indy. Could do with a courtesy car for school runs though!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #9
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
There's an Indy on my road, so I'll nurse it there in the morning. Just checked my insurance, my excess is £800! Not sure how I missed that anomaly…. So need to find out if the damage will cost more than that at an Indy. Could do with a courtesy car for school runs though!
I got stung by the insurance excess going up without me realising when I hit the deer 18 months ago. It's a right bugger! That said, I had my rear 1/4 repainted after a keying by the MD bodyshop (as they knew the exact paint blend) and it was £500 so probably still a better option than insurance if it's just the belly pan that's ripped off. You'll be able to get a used under tray pretty cheap off evilbay I reckon, assuming nothing else is damaged. It might be worth asking at the garage if they're willing to nip along when they're on their way home/lunch and see what they think before you drive it if you're really concerned? Otherwise I'd give them a call, take them some biscuits and ask for ten minutes on the ramp to give it a quick look between MOT''s/jobs. It won't take long to understand if there's damage to be worried about and the biscuits will definitely help you get it done same day! I can't imagine they'd ask for much money, my local place would probably be £10-20, if they even bothered to charge you (see previous point about biscuits!).
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00