F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Land Rover Defender Test Drive
proTUNING Freaks

04-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #45
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
@MashinBenzin
you chose a discovery and live with it
you think defender looks next best especially the dash
and your chosen ideal bmw is an X7
and you think the G05 looks like a minivan.
I rest my case
What's wrong with a minivan?

We have one and it is great for hauling 5 plus dog and luggage all over the US. It is practical and very much a serious looker!!!

It came with the 20" wheel package and looks seriously hot!!!

Honestly it was the most pragmatic choice for our family. It has all the size and features of the large SUVs, but is cheaper since you don't have to worry about some of the SUV hardware. Plus because the doors slide, my kids don't jam the doors into other peoples cars. I can even get large pieces of plywood and other building supplies in it or mulch and even furniture in it.

Fun discussion on this thread today.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #46
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@MashinBenzin
I rest my case

We have one and it is great for hauling 5 plus dog and luggage all over the US. It is practical and very much a serious looker!!!

Honestly it was the most pragmatic choice for our family. It has all the size and features of the large SUVs, but is cheaper since you don't have to worry about some of the SUV hardware. Plus because the doors slide, my kids don't jam the doors into other peoples cars. I can even get large pieces of plywood and other building supplies in it or mulch and even furniture in it.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #47
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
@CajunBMW
since you asked the question twice I am obliged to reply.
I have no doubt they serve all the practicalities of a suv with less purchase price and better comfort and space.
I actually bought one (2 series grand tourer) in the past .
We watched ozark and the mpv being cast in a major role player in the series was fun to watch. It got them through everything! If I was American I too would get that one!.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Minivans (or MPVs as we call them) were popular over here before SUVs took off but have died now. I had a Renault Grand Espace and a Vauxhall Sintra 3.0 CDX back in the day - the Vauxhall was a GM minivan from the US complete with sliding doors but with a 3 litre European V6 and 200+ horses - through the front wheels with a lazy torque converter box....

Great family car, could serve as a van, went rapidly. I prefered it to the latest SUVs in terms of practicality but doesnt have the image....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #49
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
@MashinBenzin
I rest my case
I like (and dislike) several aspects of several different cars rather than being hung up on one being perfect. Not sure that's so unusual. Cars are about compromise.

The Defender and Discovery dashboards are worlds apart in the car world. So are the Cure and Vegas in the music world. Yet I like both. It's possible to enjoy different flavours of different things, even on the same day.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 5
JustChris17426.00
Nibbles851.50
G50888.50
      04-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #50
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Quote:
@MashinBenzin
I rest my case

Totally get it. I think that's where the X7 packaging works very well. It has minivan lessons in there and that (to me) was reflected in the up close feel when i test drove one. The 2nd row/3rd row/boot were all completely without compromise.

Even with the 3rd row in place, a usable boot (trunk!). Not the case in my car.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #51
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@CajunBMW
since you asked the question twice I am obliged to reply.
I have no doubt they serve all the practicalities of a suv with less purchase price and better comfort and space.
I actually bought one (2 series grand tourer) in the past .
We watched ozark and the mpv being cast in a major role player in the series was fun to watch. It got them through everything! If I was American I too would get that one!.
Not sure why there are two submissions? It said it did not go through...so I hit submit again and now I have the double question.

We have Chrysler Pacifica as our family hauler. It is a big vehicle, but works for us, it real works. Plenty of things to keep the kids happy and from annoying each other or us. It is new and nicely featured (purchased last year in 2020 for a good price since no one for some reason was buying vans). It actually rides really well and is very quiet on the road. It is by no means a svelte or quick road car like my bmw, but it's V6 is powerful enough to get the big van moving reasonably quick on the roads and highways.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13104.50
      04-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #52
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
@MashinBenzin
I rest my case

Totally get it. I think that's where the X7 packaging works very well. It has minivan lessons in there and that (to me) was reflected in the up close feel when i test drove one. The 2nd row/3rd row/boot were all completely without compromise.

Even with the 3rd row in place, a usable boot (trunk!). Not the case in my car.
Yeah having a big space in the back is key when traveling with the family. It has 3 rows and still had great space for luggage. Can hold a lot of suitcases and other stuff. For the kids what I like is the doors slide back and forth so they don't bang them into other vehicles when they get out. I am constantly bugging them to be careful in my two BMWs; to not bang the wall or the car next to them when they kick the door open. My teen driver is getting better at that on the X1 that she seems to have permanently borrowed from us. I need to ask her to borrow it back when I want to use it (haha).
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #53
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Minivans (or MPVs as we call them) were popular over here before SUVs took off but have died now. I had a Renault Grand Espace and a Vauxhall Sintra 3.0 CDX back in the day - the Vauxhall was a GM minivan from the US complete with sliding doors but with a 3 litre European V6 and 200+ horses - through the front wheels with a lazy torque converter box....

Great family car, could serve as a van, went rapidly. I prefered it to the latest SUVs in terms of practicality but doesnt have the image....
You are right the van doesn't have the image of a nice SUV. I am guessing that our new van is the last one we will buy and that we will buy a nice SUV in the future. Although maybe I should get a monster truck, as that is what my son wants. He wants A big Ford Pickup or or a Ferrari- sort of a weird mix, but he is 9. Obviously at some point EVs will come into the mix here too, so will be interesting to see how that plays out. But for now, we are set for a bit. No more buying new vehicles.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #54
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

You are right the van doesn't have the image of a nice SUV. I am guessing that our new van is the last one we will buy and that we will buy a nice SUV in the future. Although maybe I should get a monster truck, as that is what my son wants. He wants A big Ford Pickup or or a Ferrari- sort of a weird mix, but he is 9. Obviously at some point EVs will come into the mix here too, so will be interesting to see how that plays out. But for now, we are set for a bit. No more buying new vehicles.
The teslamodel x is probably the best ev minivan out there at present.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #55
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
The Defender and Discovery dashboards are worlds apart in the car world. So are the Cure and Vegas in the music world. Yet I like both. It's possible to enjoy different flavours of different things, even on the same day.
Well said.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #56
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
MashinBenzin Thanks for the write up, very interesting observations. I must say the Defender is starting to loom large on my radar. I like the way it looks nice either completely basic on steel wheels or fully spec’d with all the bling options! Myself I am becoming intrigued by a super basic one but still having the 6 cylinder diesel and air suspension.

Form your pics the boot didn’t look as large as I might have expected, what did you think of it? Also a shame about the rear ‘boot door’, I find them awkward to use and I like the Discovery / FFRR fold down seat. So handy for loading the boot, sitting down etc
Someone has commented on the boot on another forum. Apparently narrower and a pretty significant 20cm shorter.

Appreciate 0