F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Road Noise Quick Fix
GetBMWParts

05-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
radoslavp
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 320D F30 LCI

DIY: F30 Road Noise Quick Fix

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello,

Recently I've been researching how to make my car a bit more quiet using tips from other fellow members who spent a lot of effort on the topic. We all know how F30 can be in that aspect.

So my search started from these 2 posts:
1. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=251
2. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

After some additional research I found something which I'd like to leave here.

BMW Part: 51717251697

Check RealOEM diagram. For some unknown reason the part is exactly what we are all missing.
I drive a 2017 F30 LCI and RealOEM says I should have it, but guess what - it was missing same as what above colleagues have reported.

RealOEM says you need additional clips 51757163899, but the truth is - you don't!
The covering fits like a glove without any clips as it has pins and clips in very tight.

It takes just a second to put, no effort at all.

So next time you change your tires - simply put it. The part is meant to be there, we all miss it, and it will help with road noise in our F30s.

Hope I helped someone.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by radoslavp; 05-03-2021 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2021, 03:46 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Hi there,

I know you meant to help, but without further details and without one digging into the other related threads it is a bit difficult to understand what you mean here...

Which part is missing? I suppose the plastic cover (#14) you show on the photos below? In that case - how is this plastic covering supposed to help road noise!? Looks more like protective dirt-cover...

Is it the same front and back? (it is called "left" in the part description? another cover for the "right" side?)

The realOEM only refers to F30 applicability... do you know if the 4 Series has a different setup?

According to realOEM, it has a similar cover, but there is no P/N defined for it:

Please provide a bit more details and photos, if applicable...

Danke im Voraus

Last edited by Skyhigh; 05-03-2021 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
tiw30
MX5 2.0 Sport, E30 325i Sport 325l Touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D M Sport + SRB

I think the OP is quite clear if you look at the left hand side wheel arch you can see a hole through into the engine bay that a brake pipe goes through, if you look on the right hand side there is another hole in the same position but if you look closely you can see a heat shield blocks it off inside. If you buy the cover part number listed and use it to cover the hole in the left hand side wheel arch this will block the path of the noise from the tyre and turbine noise created by left hand wheel rotating.

The part has obviously been created as a fix for this noise so it is therefore only required for the left hand side as the right is closed of it is suitable for all models 1, 2, 3 and 4 series although the listing on Real OEM looks to miss a bit out. And as the hole will not be in the rear it won't be required there

I can't see how the OP can do anymore he has provided part number, picture of the part and picture of it fitted.
Just look find the hole and do as the OP suggests plug it as a trial (stick a pair of old socks into it) then if it works order and fit the part.

As far as I'm concerned the OP has done us all a massive favour providing this information, well done and excellent work
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
tiw30
United Kingdom
Rep

Skyhigh as your profile suggests you are based in Europe your car is likely left hand drive so you are not likely to be affected by the road noise as it is projected and experienced in the right hand seated position in which you passenger would sit. This is a big annoyance in right hand drive cars where a wheel bearing type noise is heard on certain road surfaces by the driver
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

Good that you are able to interpret it and thanks for explaining.

I still question how this plastic cover will do anything to improve noise - for that purpose it needs to be rubber as a minimum... noise propagates through waves and does not require a line-of-sight.
So to me this is just a dirt-cover/protection, but even so, why not have it there.
      05-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiw30 View Post
Skyhigh as your profile suggests you are based in Europe your car is likely left hand drive so you are not likely to be affected by the road noise as it is projected and experienced in the right hand seated position in which you passenger would sit. This is a big annoyance in right hand drive cars where a wheel bearing type noise is heard on certain road surfaces by the driver
Now you confused me again - the cover, according to your interpretation of the catalogue, is only intended for the left side... yet you say it is annoyance for the right hand seated position...?

Why would the noise level be higher on the right hand side of the vehicle?
      05-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
tiw30
United Kingdom
Rep

I am not sure why it works but believe me it does, I have tried everything to stop or reduce the noise in mine as its the only thing that spoils the car for me, but everything I have done has been on the right hand side, but since I have done this the noise has been massively reduced, the same as experienced by the OP in his right hand drive Austrailian car.

And just to add this noise is not experienced in the left hand side, in fact most of my passengers think i'm mad in the head when I mention it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

tiw30
...and when you say "it" works and since you have done "this", you mean the plastic cover discussed above?

So you covered a small opening above the left front wheel and you felt the noise in the right hand seated position decreased?

I thing I can see why your passengers may think that..... (joking)
      05-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I still question how this plastic cover will do anything to improve noise
I agree, especially as most of the noise in the cabin is conducted there through the body, not through the air. If this part sealed a hole into the cabin it would be a different story.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Zheez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2014)

I think I might have to try this. I'll probably wedge a bit of rubber or foam padding in around the brake pipe though just to make sure it's isolated as much as possible.

Quite an expensive part for what it is though at around 16. Still, if it really makes a noticeable difference then it's all good with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

I am still awaiting for someone to say "YES, that small piece of plastic alone makes a noticeable difference"…. 🙄
(It is about €30 here, so you are getting it cheaply )
      05-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #12
Jvac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Oh how I want to believe that a little piece of plastic is going to solve the problem. Road noise above ~ 60mph is obnoxious in these cars, drowning out so much of the sound system. Most of the potential remedies are also quite costly and time consuming. This definitely seems too good to be true.
      05-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #13
tiw30
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes the small piece of plastic has made a noticeable difference to the noise I am experiencing in the drivers seat of my car (Right hand drive) if you read the original post including linked threads you will see that closing the hole has had a great success in reducing noise, I am not sure if the poster has replaced his temporary cover with the plastic one.

This may not make much difference to the noise noticed in your left hand drivers seat as I have never noticed the noise I am experiencing while in my passenger seat (left hand side)

The part is 15 here very expensive for what it is but cheap for what it does
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #14
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

I generally find the car to be fairly silent, apart from tires noise (very noticeable when going over from winter to summer and vice versa).

My Audi is extra- soundproofed. The BMW, without additional soundproofing, is certainly not worse.

Happy to put that plastic cover where it belongs, for the sake of it, but I remain extremely sceptical about any acoustic effect. Will report.
      05-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm way beyond skeptical, and I'm an acoustical engineer. That said, my F34 is very quiet. I have no problem carrying on a conversation at 80 MPH. Perhaps being intended as a relatively inexpensive limo for the Chinese market it has better insulation than the F30. I know from looking that the insulation under my carpet is substantial, literally twice the thickness of that in any car I've owned before. Maybe that's why I never have to run my sound system at more than 80% to be obnoxiously loud.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #16
howe9191
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2013 F30 328i

I have done almost whole car sound proof with Dr Artex stuff, (roof, 4 doors, fender, floor) however it only minimized around 5% of noise (with sound dB Tester), disappointing.

Another car at soundproofing work shop same day with me was Honda Civic and the boss told me original Civic (without soundproofing) is quieter than my F30 (with sound dB test report). I was like oh my....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #17
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

I really wonder if we are talking about the same vehicles here, reading some of the posts above!?

Before I went down the sport exhaust route and with winter tires, the car was very silent!! Even considering the appreciably rough asphalt we have on most of the roads here! As soon as you drive over a decent asphalt, all you hear is the engine.
Have you guys bought a Chinese replica or something? 😀 Or is the 4 series just better soundproofed.
      05-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
auburnf30x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Mine is nice and quiet over good pavement, but if the surface is worn, it can get fairly loud. I think the car is generally pretty well soundproofed, but the runflats are just noisy. Swapping to a quality traditional tire would probably make a huge difference.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Mine is nice and quiet over good pavement, but if the surface is worn, it can get fairly loud. I think the car is generally pretty well soundproofed, but the runflats are just noisy. Swapping to a quality traditional tire would probably make a huge difference.
That's my feeling too. Planning to move over to RFTs at first opportunity.

This said, my Audi is like a tank at speeds under 50-60 km/h on the non-RFT summer Goodyear's. It is however so much more silent on the winter tires (same width).
      05-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #20
Jvac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I generally find the car to be fairly silent, apart from tires noise (very noticeable when going over from winter to summer and vice versa).

My Audi is extra- soundproofed. The BMW, without additional soundproofing, is certainly not worse.

Happy to put that plastic cover where it belongs, for the sake of it, but I remain extremely sceptical about any acoustic effect. Will report.
Perhaps the roads are better where you live. Here in the "great" state of Texas, a lot of them are made with a concrete that is extremely noisy. When I go over a bridge or a section of blacktop it's a totally different sound and it's much quieter. But the bmw is definitely not as quiet as my lexus was.
      05-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Colonel
Rep

The roads are decent here in terms of potholes but the asphalt is extremely rough and noisy! They just recently started using good, silent mixtures and there is such a huge difference when driving over to a newly asphalted part of the road…. Then one actually realises how noisy the old crap is.
Same when crossing the border and driving in neighbouring countries…. Acoustic comfort!

But that's not BMW's fault…
      05-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howe9191 View Post
I have done almost whole car sound proof with Dr Artex stuff, (roof, 4 doors, fender, floor) however it only minimized around 5% of noise (with sound dB Tester), disappointing.
That's from using the wrong product for the application. The problem is that you really can't trust the advertising claims, and what works well in some locations can have little to no effect in others.
Appreciate 0