F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ok I’ve had it with these run-flat tires
proTUNING Freaks

12-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
bryankcmo
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i xdrive

Angry ok I’ve had it with these run-flat tires

I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don’t work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I’m not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can’t keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
alexjustdoit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Triple A
      12-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

2-ton scissor jack, breaker bar w/17mm deep socket, tire plug kit, battery or cigaretter lighter powered air compressor, roadside safety devices and if you feel more comfortable, a compact spare preferably 26" diameter.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankcmo View Post
I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don’t work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I’m not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can’t keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Popular all seasons are Continental DWS06 PLUS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Best summer tires are Michelin PS 4S. Consider upgrading tire size on stock wheels. I went from 225/45-18 to 245/40-18. Much better handling and they soak up potholes
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
bryankcmo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Popular all seasons are Continental DWS06 PLUS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Best summer tires are Michelin PS 4S. Consider upgrading tire size on stock wheels. I went from 225/45-18 to 245/40-18. Much better handling and they soak up potholes
I'd be interested in seeing how that looks if you have a pic handy. Sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by bryankcmo; 12-27-2021 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
bryankcmo
Rep

I think what I really need to do is make a coherent plan to do some suspension/brake/tire/wheel work so that might be another thread after I go read a whole bunch.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think what I really need to do is make a coherent plan to do some suspension/brake/tire/wheel work so that might be another thread after I go read a whole bunch.
What year and model? RWD or XDrive? Blue or grey brakes? Standard or Adaptive/EDC shocks? Stock wheel model and tire size? Daily driver? Any tracking?

I can give you some recommendations/options based on your answers
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
bryankcmo
Rep

Quote:
What year and model? RWD or XDrive? Blue or grey brakes? Standard or Adaptive/EDC shocks? Stock wheel model and tire size? Daily driver? Any tracking?

It's a 2018 330i xDrive, currently standard 18", 225/45R-18 and OEM everything as far as I know. Grey brakes. I believe the suspension is adaptive based on the sport/sport+ mode options.

It is a daily driver that I'd like to evolve into something more track capable as it ages. I also admire a nice stance.

I like the idea of going to 245/40 on the tires, and I'd also like to stiffen and lower it a bit. No coil-overs, and not too low given the roads around here.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
bryankcmo
Rep

This is the fitment I really like, maybe not that wheel but I do like the OEM+ look

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=87
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's a 2018 330i xDrive, currently standard 18", 225/45R-18 and OEM everything as far as I know. Grey brakes. I believe the suspension is adaptive based on the sport/sport+ mode options.

It is a daily driver that I'd like to evolve into something more track capable as it ages. I also admire a nice stance.

I like the idea of going to 245/40 on the tires, and I'd also like to stiffen and lower it a bit. No coil-overs, and not too low given the roads around here.
Unfortunately the Sport/+ driving modes don't indicate type of shocks. Enter your VIN in mdecoder website and look for a line item for Adaptive Suspension or do a visual inspection like in the attached photo.

Do your grey front brake calipers look like the photo with two characteristic circles which indicate Brembo 4-piston calipers? See photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
bryankcmo
Rep

Couldn't find any suspension info based on the VIN but from this pic I'd say that's not adaptive. Also my brakes look a bit different, photo is of the front.

Did a lot of digging yesterday and this is what I'm thinking currently, seems like pretty standard upgrades and mostly budget-friendly.

Bilstein B8 Struts
H&R Sport Springs
Bump Stops (maybe? Dinan?)
F80 M3 Brake retrofit

It's wheel size that I'm having a hard time settling on. Either 18s or 19s all around, maybe 9w all around or it seems like a lot of people run 8.5 front and 9.5 rear? I'd like to understand the reasoning/impact of that a little better.

update: strongly leaning toward 19x9 all around.

Thanks a ton for the help btw!
Attached Images

Last edited by bryankcmo; 12-28-2021 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Couldn't find any suspension info based on the VIN but from this pic I'd say that's not adaptive. Also my brakes look a bit different, photo is of the front.

Did a lot of digging yesterday and this is what I'm thinking currently, seems like pretty standard upgrades and mostly budget-friendly.

Bilstein B8 Struts
H&R Sport Springs
F80 M3 Brake retrofit

It's wheel size that I'm having a hard time settling on. Either 18s or 19s all around, maybe 9w all around or it seems like a lot of people run 8.5 front and 9.5 rear? I'd like to understand the reasoning/impact of that a little better.

My car came with 19" style 442m wheels on Bridgestone S001 Potenza RFT, and I must say I prefer my 18" 400m wheels (pirelli sottozero 3 rft) used during winter.

The 18s feel nicer all around re: comfort, response, and handling.

19s do look better, of course.

Last edited by AspektUSA; 01-03-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Bilstein B8 Struts
H&R Sport Springs
F80 M3 Brake retrofit

Considering your frustration with runflats and potholes you may want to consider 18" wheels. 19" wheels have less sidewall so they risk more wheel & tire damage from potholes.

You can easily run a square setup with 245/40-18 tires with BMW 8.0"x18" ET34 wheels. I have 400M wheels. They are other stock wheels the same size. With other 18" wheels depending on the offset you can run square 8.5" or 9.0" wheels with 255/40-18 tires.

Square setups are nice with XDrive because you can rotate them front to back and get very even wear throughout the entire life of the tires.

With XDrive, avoid dropping the front more than 1.5" or you risk breaking front axels. I'm not a fan of the B8/H&R combination. Both are setup too stiff at the factory and not adjustable. I prefer Koni Sport Yellows which are adjustable for comfort and Eibach Springs which aren't as harsh as H&R's.

Don't pay expensive Dinan prices for repackaged BMW bumpstops. Just get shorter F80 bump stops. See attached photo.

Based on what you have said, your brakes are one of three possible combinations:
1)
Front 330mm x 24mm
Rear 330mm x 20mm
2)
F 330x24
R 300x20
3)
F 312x24
R 300x20

You can measure the radius of your brake rotors right on the car and double it to find their diameter. See photos.

Don't fall for people selling M3/M4 brakes at a premium price. They are exactly the same calipers as F30 Front 370x30/Rear 345x24

Other upgrade options for your car are:
F340x30, R345x24
OR F340x30, R330x20

You can improve your existing brakes by installing Hawk 5.0 pads, full crossdrilled rotors from StopTech or Zimmermann and stainless steel brake lines. Do the same if you buy upgraded calipers.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I’m not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can’t keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Fun fact that I didn't think of or realize until I recently got an F30 with track handling package and noticed something in the trunk - BMW installed non-runflat tires on cars with this package, and included a kit in the extra storage under the trunk floor, with what looks to be fix-a-flat and an air compressor. So to answer your question, you could in theory switch to non-runflat tires and put this kit in your trunk. It doesn't take up much space at all. See part numbers here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F3..._mobility_set/

Photo:

Whether or not this would work, or work very well, I don't know. Surely it's limited to the most common types of punctures that can be sealed with it. But hey, BMW felt that it was sufficient
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:06 PM   #15
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Fun fact that I didn't think of or realize until I recently got an F30 with track handling package and noticed something in the trunk - BMW installed non-runflat tires on cars with this package, and included a kit in the extra storage under the trunk floor, with what looks to be fix-a-flat and an air compressor. So to answer your question, you could in theory switch to non-runflat tires and put this kit in your trunk. It doesn't take up much space at all. See part numbers here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F3..._mobility_set/

Photo:

Whether or not this would work, or work very well, I don't know. Surely it's limited to the most common types of punctures that can be sealed with it. But hey, BMW felt that it was sufficient
I really enjoy the idea of not faffing around with tire sealant and a 12v compressor on the side of the highway while trucks scream past you at 80mph and an icy wind blows your tools across the road.

Run flats have their perks, and I don't mind sticking with the factory RFT tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #16
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
I really enjoy the idea of not faffing around with tire sealant and a 12v compressor on the side of the highway while trucks scream past you at 80mph and an icy wind blows your tools across the road.

Run flats have their perks, and I don't mind sticking with the factory RFT tires.
I don't disagree, everyone will have their preference, pros and cons on either side.

I can't think of a situation where a puncture wouldn't cause me to stop and get a tow, run-flats or not. I'd be too worried about damaging the wheel, and it's a game-over situation anyway since run-flats can't be repaired. Either way it's going to cost a lot of time. The likelihood of finding an 18 or 19 inch matching tire same-day is slim to none
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #17
top fuel
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330i

Quote:
Unfortunately the Sport/+ driving modes don't indicate type of shocks. Enter your VIN in mdecoder website and look for a line item for Adaptive Suspension or do a visual inspection like in the attached photo.
Echo this. I bought coilovers with EDC delete modules based on the sport button "handling" improvements, but once the car was apart found it had no EDC
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #18
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don't work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I'm not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can't keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Literally just got the Continentals today non-RFT and damn does it feel good. I chalked a lot of the dialogue up to placebo but it really does make a difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
johnung4531.00
      01-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerizm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don't work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I'm not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can't keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Literally just got the Continentals today non-RFT and damn does it feel good. I chalked a lot of the dialogue up to placebo but it really does make a difference.
Cool! What wheels and sizes are those in your photos?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #20
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you sir! They're replicas of the 763m wheels in gunmetal, 18" square setup. The real deal was way out of my league unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
johnung4531.00
      01-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you sir! They're replicas of the 763m wheels in gunmetal, 18" square setup. The real deal was way out of my league unfortunately.
Nice. What wheel width and offset? What size tires? Where did you find them?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #22
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice. What wheel width and offset? What size tires? Where did you find them?
I got the wheels from some guys in Jersey rimsus_nyc through eBay. 18x8 just like what came with the car.

And the Continentals from TireRack 225/45ZR-18 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS SL

I nearly stepped up to the 19s but read some posts that it really wasn't worth it unless you were going for that slammed look, which I was not. That said next mod is gonna be some Dinan springs, not to lower it per se but to tighten up the suspension a bit more.
Appreciate 0