F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 M Performance Brake Retrofit - Initial Impressions
GetBMWParts

06-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport Coupe

F30 M Performance Brake Retrofit - Initial Impressions

So I've had my M Performance Brakes for about two weeks... here's my experience so far:
  • The install was quoted at $600 for labor. According to my SA the quote was less than half of the actual time it took them for the install (they had my car for 4 business days), but they honored the original quote without question.
  • Compared to the stock 328i brakes, which completely rusted over after a year, these look AMAZING and completely fill my 19" wheels.
  • Driving home from the dealership, I was not impressed with the pedal feel, which was softer than I expected, and there's no quick bite. However, the brakes are immensely powerful when you stand on the pedal, but for daily use, I feel like I need to push the pedal further down for anything to happen.
  • After the install, I noticed that my iDrive was requesting a rear brake service in 1,400 miles, which didn't seem right. I brought the car back to the dealership to check this out, and to investigate the soft feel. At this point, I had put about 1,000 miles on them. They discovered that the car wasn't programmed correctly the first time, so they reprogrammed the system and fixed the iDrive issue.
  • As for the soft pedal, they bled the system three times and there was no change. Based on this, plus other reports on here, I sense this is "normal". The service team seems to think that it will stiffen up after a few thousand miles, so I have my fingers crossed on this. Any other opinions are welcome. Has anyone combined these with stainless lines?
  • Sound wise, the dimpled rotors produce a hissing sound when braking, which you can definitely hear when alongside a wall. Windows up, you can't hear anything. I've also heard a slight squeal every now and then, but this isn't constant. Each time I've heard this has been after the brakes have warmed up.
  • Brake dust is just something you have to expect with these! After two days of driving, my gloss black wheels look matte gray, as you can see in the second photo.
  • Overall, the looks and the extra braking power made the kit worth it for me, plus the fact that servicing these is covered under the BMW maintenance plan, which covers my car for 100k miles (I'm currently in the high 20's). The pros slightly outweigh the initial cons.

I'm planning to sign up for the BMW CCA autocross school in San Jose next month, so I'll have another update by then.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Looks great!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Looks great. I want these so bad but since I have 17s for winter wheels, I would have to spend another 1500-2000 to change them out as well.

For the install, I think they pushed your car aside for others. There is no way this install should take more than 3-4 hours tops. It is a direct bolt-on/swap. I've witnessed it. Either they broke something taking it apart or putting it back together where a part had to be ordered or they broke a bolt or something that required them to drill out and tap but even that would not take a long time. Those estimates by BMW are way over inflated to do jobs which is why independents can typically do the job cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Just installed M Performance rotors too!
I use my car in track too and often on mountain roads, so I often need all brake power. I confirm your bad feeling with pedal response, but I know it is possible to change it by coding and that's what I'll ask to my dealer
      06-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

You may want to check whether the dealer has added/coded the "SPBR" in your FA (VO).
Since I had a similar mushy-pedal experience when I first installed the M-Performance Brake. I did the VO-Coding of the DSC module and then FDL Coding the correct disc size for the front/rear rotor.
With correct coding. The pedal feel should be very similar to the OEM and also a little bit firmer. No more mushiness
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
You may want to check whether the dealer has added/coded the "SPBR" in your FA (VO).
Since I had a similar mushy-pedal experience when I first installed the M-Performance Brake. I did the VO-Coding of the DSC module and then FDL Coding the correct disc size for the front/rear rotor.
With correct coding. The pedal feel should be very similar to the OEM and also a little bit firmer. No more mushiness
Thanks, I wonder if this is the problem. The dealership did mention an issue while trying to get the car to accept the brakes the first time. Is this something that I could check and or change on my own?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
Serpent720
Private
Rep

Yes, you need to have the OBD cable and hook it up with your laptop, and use E-Sys to look under the FA (VO) folder.
Or you can find someone who know E-Sys coding to check it for you.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929406
This is what I did.

In the DSC CAFD, look for the following folders to update the rotor size to F: 370mm and R: 345mm

C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e change to--> 370mm
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_hinten_e change to --> 345mm

Then FDL code this values into the DSC.

My friend's M135i came straight from BMW AG and equipped with the blue M-sport brake.
When I looked at his FA, and found the SPBR was not coded at all so I coded it for him. He could feel the difference immediately.
Since then he has no more complaints about the mushy brake pedal.

I suggest you to take a look at the FA first.

Last edited by Serpent720; 06-28-2015 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you need to have the OBD cable and hook it up with your laptop, and use E-Sys to look under the FA (VO) folder.

This is what I did.

My friend's M135i came straight from BMW AG and equipped with the blue M-sport brake.
When I looked at his FA, and found the SPBR was not coded at all so I coded it for him. He could feel the difference immediately.

Awesome... thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #9
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:

This is what I did.

In the DSC CAFD, look for the following folders to update the rotor size to F: 370mm and R: 345mm

C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e change to--> 370mm
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_hinten_e change to --> 345mm

Then FDL code this values into the DSC.

can i do this for base brakes ?! i have aftermarket lines, slotted rotors and pads but they are all same size as stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #10
Serpent720
Private
Rep

Mmm...I have no idea if it works for BASE brake. You may try to code and feel if there is any difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mmm...I have no idea if it works for BASE brake. You may try to code and feel if there is any difference.
It worked very nice. thanks a lot
what's weird though my friend has base brakes but all stock it was worse lol
      07-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #12
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
It worked very nice. thanks a lot
what's weird though my friend has base brakes but all stock it was worse lol
That's encouraging! My service advisor is out for the week so I'm waiting until next week to figure out if this was coded or not. I'll report back here.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
Driggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 Portimao XDrive Comp

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Which dealer? I live in the South Bay.
I am looking to get these.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driggett View Post
Which dealer? I live in the South Bay.
I am looking to get these.
Mountain View. I would avoid Stevens Creek.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #15
Driggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 Portimao XDrive Comp

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That is who I go to but I have not built up the confidence yet in their sa but the mechanics I do. I am a little concerned that they could not do this job right the first time given their volume of customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #16
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgeorge25 View Post
That's encouraging! My service advisor is out for the week so I'm waiting until next week to figure out if this was coded or not. I'll report back here.
Isn't this Dangerous for base brakes ?!
      07-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
TheePricelessProductions
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
Cost

How Much did you spend to get the Caliper along with the Rotor?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #18
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Just have back my car today, alter coding M Performance brake: now they are set on "Sport" and the feeling has improved: now I'm happy of the brake pedal response! Very satisfied about brake power and bite!