F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Used market for these cars
GetBMWParts

02-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
s1k_RR
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Used market for these cars

Been shopping for either a 340i sedan or a 440i GC and noticed they are already in 20's. What could be wrong with these cars that they are already that low? Is it because the g20 (not sure if thats the next gen is called)?

I really want a 440i, but hesitant because of how fast they have dropped in price, these cars were about 50k new, 2-3 years later they're already around half that.
I used car gurus/auto trader to do the pricing.

Appreciate the help and advice from those that currently own these cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Thats somewhat standard drop... Mileage is a huge factor at this age, as is individual vehicle history, condition, and options. Additionally, Bay area has a huge supply of BMWs so the pricing can be lower than other places. I don't think the 440GC was a big seller or sold that close to retail pricing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
s1k_RR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Thats somewhat standard drop... Mileage is a huge factor at this age, as is individual vehicle history, condition, and options. Additionally, Bay area has a huge supply of BMWs so the pricing can be lower than other places. I don't think the 440GC was a big seller or sold that close to retail pricing.
I'm actually looking out of state since the prices here i think are kinda high for the mileage, aiming at under 30k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - lease returns. Most come in by December and then hit the lots around late January/February.

Out of state is OK. If you are doing Carmax that's a decent route to go. But private sale can be iffy, especially in snow states. Salted roads to crazy things to cars.

Instead of out of state, why not Socal or Fresno/Bakersfield/Sacramento. High population areas with lower costs of living = lower price of cars.

We picked up a couple cars from Sac and San Rosa for about 10% less than Bay Area dealers.
Appreciate 1
s1k_RR54.50
      02-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
s1k_RR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
FWIW - lease returns. Most come in by December and then hit the lots around late January/February.

Out of state is OK. If you are doing Carmax that's a decent route to go. But private sale can be iffy, especially in snow states. Salted roads to crazy things to cars.

Instead of out of state, why not Socal or Fresno/Bakersfield/Sacramento. High population areas with lower costs of living = lower price of cars.

We picked up a couple cars from Sac and San Rosa for about 10% less than Bay Area dealers.
Good Idea, ive been looking nation wide, and found that the cheaper cars are in texas and arizona. Ill be keeping an eye out anyways. I do prefer to get a cali car, so I dont need to go out of state.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #6
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k_RR View Post
Been shopping for either a 340i sedan or a 440i GC and noticed they are already in 20's. What could be wrong with these cars that they are already that low? Is it because the g20 (not sure if thats the next gen is called)?

I really want a 440i, but hesitant because of how fast they have dropped in price, these cars were about 50k new, 2-3 years later they're already around half that.

Got my 2016 340I about half a year ago at 34K miles and have put about 11k miles. Engine is very reliable so far for me, as it is for many others, even with my heavy foot. Made it stage 2 with down pipe and intake about a month and a half later and man does this thing fly. I scare my passengers all the time with the speed (in a good way)

No main big issues so far, but the engine is also only a few years old so only time will tell. Helps knowing it's also a Supra motor as well. If I waited from back then till now for the purchase I would have probably saved a few grand at least, but my guess would be the next gen models coming out and BMW, just like any other luxury brand depreciate fast.

I'd highly recommend 340i or the 440i if you want the speed, reliability, and looks all while being a perfect daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 04:44 AM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k_RR View Post

This is typical high depreciation of German cars which gets accelerated by the fact that the majority are leased now rather than purchased outright. So you have a glut of high quality, low mileage cars hitting the used market constantly. I would never buy new when I can get the same car 2-3 years old with 10k-15k miles for 40%-50% off sticker.

And if you are looking for a very specific car with a certain color or options lists you just widen your search geography and your bound to find it. It's very easy to buy a car remotely and have it shipped. Risks are minimal if your buying a low mileage BMW certified used car.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
s1k_RR54.50
      02-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
especially in snow states. Salted roads to crazy things to cars.
For only a 2-3 year old car this is not a concern. It usually takes at least 7-8 for it to really make a difference. My last car was 15 years old when I sold it and it still had no visible rust (of course if you were working on suspension or underside of the motor/tranny, the bolts were all rusted quite badly.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50