F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED conversion from base halogen lights
Studio RSR

07-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
2014 328xi (totaled)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofangeles323 View Post
Made it halfway through you paragraph, but maybe you haven't tried Aukee h7's 😂
I can confirm what Billfitz says. The warm/cold checks won't always give you an error, the lights will just flicker every few minutes and you may not even notice it depending on the situation.

Regardless of all of this you will want to change the bulb type to LED in the front electric module anyway, otherwise your not making full use of the advantages that LEDs offer.

This coding is all VERY easy to do in bimmercode, literally takes 5 minutes and the warm/ cold checks and bulb types options are right on top of each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idopullups View Post
I can confirm what Billfitz says. The warm/cold checks won't always give you an error, the lights will just flicker every few minutes and you may not even notice it depending on the situation.

Regardless of all of this you will want to change the bulb type to LED in the front electric module anyway, otherwise your not making full use of the advantages that LEDs offer.

This coding is all VERY easy to do in bimmercode, literally takes 5 minutes and the warm/ cold checks and bulb types options are right on top of each other.
I have the bimmercode app installed on my phone and I just ordered one of their recommended obd plugs so I will wait on that getting here before I proceed to purchase any of the front lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #25
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_guy View Post
Quote:

I have the bimmercode app installed on my phone and I just ordered one of their recommended obd plugs so I will wait on that getting here before I proceed to purchase any of the front lights.
Regardless of all this LED light stuff having an OBDII scanner and bimmercode and some form of fault reading app is sort of a must have tool for these cars.

There are tons of awesome things you can activate, a well worthwhile investment.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #26
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Regardless of all this LED light stuff having an OBDII scanner and bimmercode and some form of fault reading app is sort of a must have tool for these cars.

There are tons of awesome things you can activate, a well worthwhile investment.
Definitely! Which app are you using for fault reading?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #27
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely! Which app are you using for fault reading?
I use BimmerLink fault codes and soon I'll need to change the battery which bimmerlink also does I believe, I also have auto doctor which I have also used but very little. Not an expert on either of these though so dig around if you want to find the best best.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #28
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I use BimmerLink fault codes and soon I'll need to change the battery which bimmerlink also does I believe, I also have auto doctor which I have also used but very little. Not an expert on either of these though so dig around if you want to find the best best.
Could you drop a link to what bulbs you used for the parking light and the drls? I think I am going to settle with the aukees for the low and high beams plus those beamteach fogs that billfitz recommended. As far as the turn signals go I dont really care about them to be honest and will probably leave them as is.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #29
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Could you drop a link to what bulbs you used for the parking light and the drls? I think I am going to settle with the aukees for the low and high beams plus those beamteach fogs that billfitz recommended. As far as the turn signals go I dont really care about them to be honest and will probably leave them as is.
These are the ones I used for DRL's had them in for a while no problems:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these are the ones I bought for my parkling lights (position lights i think they're called in bimmercode). I can't attest that they work because I ended up changing headlights before I could ever install them. However, they were the exact ones everyone else was buying on the forums.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #30
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
These are the fogs I used and they're awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NSBTF8...p_mob_ap_share

I had trouble finding turn signals that would work, in my experience they are trickier than the other bulbs. I ended up using the LED turn signals from unique style racings and they work great. But like you said, not a necessity.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
As far as the turn signals go I dont really care about them to be honest and will probably leave them as is.
LED turn signals react faster, and they're brighter, so they're well worth doing. I like the look of LED in the front too, as they're only orange when they light up. When they're off they're silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #32
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
LED turn signals react faster, and they're brighter, so they're well worth doing. I like the look of LED in the front too, as they're only orange when they light up. When they're off they're silver.
Drop me a link to some good ones or the ones that you used. If they arent too expensive I'll get them as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #33
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

These are what I have for front and rear turn signals:

You have to confirm what bulb base yours uses, they're not the same with all chassis.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #34
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
These are the fogs I used and they're awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NSBTF8...p_mob_ap_share

I had trouble finding turn signals that would work, in my experience they are trickier than the other bulbs. I ended up using the LED turn signals from unique style racings and they work great. But like you said, not a necessity.
I ended up ordering these foglights from your recommendation. I got some bundle with 4 h7s and 2 h11 led bulbs, but the part that clips into the metal housing was some brittle plastic that broke immediately under the pressure of the clips.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #35
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofangeles323 View Post
Made it halfway through your paragraph, but maybe you haven't tried Aukee h7's 😂
I decided to purchase the aukees from your recommendation. I bought some h7s in a bundle and they turned out to be defective so I am in the process of returning them and awaiting the arrival of the aukees.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:06 PM   #36
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I just installed some led turn signal lights. Are they supposed to remain on when the headlights are on? I can't remember if they do or if they only turn on when you use the signal. They do flash when using the signal, but I cannot recall whether they stayed on with the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #37
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I ended up ordering these foglights from your recommendation. I got some bundle with 4 h7s and 2 h11 led bulbs, but the part that clips into the metal housing was some brittle plastic that broke immediately under the pressure of the clips.
On the fog lights or the h7s? My fogs were just an easy plastic push and twist. The h7s are a different beast.

Quote:
I just installed some led turn signal lights. Are they supposed to remain on when the headlights are on? I can't remember if they do or if they only turn on when you use the signal. They do flash when using the signal, but I cannot recall whether they stayed on with the headlights.
In the USA the turn signals remain on with the headlights. You can turn it off if you like in bimmercode its called "American side marker" or "USA side marker" or something to that effect in the Front Electric Module.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-31-2020, 10:31 PM   #38
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
On the fog lights or the h7s? My fogs were just an easy plastic push and twist. The h7s are a different beast.

In the USA the turn signals remain on with the headlights. You can turn it off if you like in bimmercode its called "American side marker" or "USA side marker" or something to that effect in the Front Electric Module.
The h7s not the fog lights. I am awaiting the delivery of both the h7s and the fog lights.

Ah I see. Its not a big deal to me honestly I just wanted to make sure the lights were functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #39
Wired435
United_States
Rep
Drives: X435i Convertible

Hi Guys,
I am about to ship my F33 to Europe where I will need Orange/Amber indicators. I read that people changed their rear indicator bulbs for Amber LED's and the result was amber signal lights with the red rear lights.
Can anyone who has done this confirm that this works? Did you use a very high lumen rated version?

Last edited by Wired435; 09-07-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #40
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Open a new thread. Your question has nothing to do with the thread title, and for that reason many who might be able to help will never see your question.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #41
Wired435
United_States
Rep
Drives: X435i Convertible

Quote:
Open a new thread. Your question has nothing to do with the thread title, and for that reason many who might be able to help will never see your question.
I have done that now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #42
V_ARZADON
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW MWM 328I XDRIVE

Quote:
Quote:

The h7s not the fog lights. I am awaiting the delivery of both the h7s and the fog lights.

Ah I see. Its not a big deal to me honestly I just wanted to make sure the lights were functioning properly.
Doing some LED conversions on my Low/High/Fog and I wondered if you needed any load resistors?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #43
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_ARZADON View Post
Doing some LED conversions on my Low/High/Fog and I wondered if you needed any load resistors?
I used these, no resistors or anything, but you do need to code the lights to LED and turn off warm/ cold checks. I said this above but I will say it again, I DID NOT use LEDs in stock low beam halogen housings. The glare was insane and if you do this and cause an accident you could be seriously liable. Others have done this, but again, at your own risk.

High/ low (H7):
https://amzn.to/33d7g2i

Fog (H11):
https://amzn.to/33d7g2i

Last edited by idopullups; 09-09-2020 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #44
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have no glare problems with LED in any of my lamps. If anything I have less glare, as with the brighter LEDs I was able to lower the aim of the lights and still have better visibility over longer distance.
Quote:
You don't need resistors, you must code. Read the entire thread.
Appreciate 1