F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Planning out performance mods for b46 F32)
ARMA SPEED

07-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240ix

Garage List
Planning out performance mods for b46 F32)

As I have all of the time in the world on my hands with funemployment, I’ve decided to start mapping out my plans for mods, and I could use some input in regards to performance.
My goal is to make my girl (2017 mineral gray 430ix) look fly as hell and be as fun to drive as possible, while still being a comfortable daily driver that is good for road trips.
For engine mods I’m thinking:
Absolutely doing
Intake
Charge pipe
Tune
Want to do, but have some questions
Catted downpipe - need to make sure I’ll pass emissions in PA (Allegheny County)
Which tune - BM3 or MG Flasher?
Intercooler upgrade - is there even anything available?
Maybe further down the line
Upgrade fuel delivery system
Spark plugs - Or should that be done before increasing boost? I’m sitting right around 30k miles

I don’t plan on doing anything with the exhaust, aside from an aesthetic change to dual outlet - I like the sound, and don’t really care to call too much attention to myself. Couldn’t care less about burbles, either.
Right now I’m looking at the BM3/Catted downpipe/charge pipe combo deal offered by x-ph.com. However, if the downpipe isn’t going to fly with emissions, then the MG Flasher comes into the equation, as its price is very compelling.
Does anyone have any experience with these things - downpipe and inspections, MG Flasher vs BM3, and what would be most conducive to my goals? Anything that I’m missing? Anything that I think is a good idea, but will go against being suitable for daily/city driving?

THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
no charge pipe required for b46 or intercooler.

we have the air-to-water intercooler.

i'm running stage 1 93 octane on b46 right now with stock parts. i was planning on catted dp (emissions crap here in Ohio as well) and doing stage 2 but I think I'm going to change cars and get a b58 engine instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
no charge pipe required for b46 or intercooler.

we have the air-to-water intercooler.

i'm running stage 1 93 octane on b46 right now with stock parts. i was planning on catted dp (emissions crap here in Ohio as well) and doing stage 2 but I think I'm going to change cars and get a b58 engine instead.
Huh, I thought the charge pipe was one of the more highly recommended mods to keep things happy long-term. I had heard that about the intercoolers though, just wasn’t sure if I understood correctly.

That b58 was definitely tempting when I was searching, but the price was just too good on this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I think the chargepipe issue was mainly N55 engines.

I'm just over 9months/10k miles on bm3 stage 1 - 93 on my b46. No issues. Somewhere inbetween there I installed a bms billet intake and oil catch can. I kept looking into catless dps (I have someone that would let me register my car at their address since they don't have to do emissions crap) but then looked into catted dps then just said screw it. I'm going to flash it back to stock, give my car to my daughter and move my bm3 over to a b58. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Perhaps not what you're asking for, but I'd personally consider your suspension/wheels/tires before anything you've mentioned.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
Milkman670
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i F31 MSport II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleojon View Post
As I have all of the time in the world on my hands with funemployment, I've decided to start mapping out my plans for mods, and I could use some input in regards to performance.
My goal is to make my girl (2017 mineral gray 430ix) look fly as hell and be as fun to drive as possible, while still being a comfortable daily driver that is good for road trips.
For engine mods I'm thinking:
Absolutely doing
Intake
Charge pipe
Tune
Catted downpipe - need to make sure I'll pass emissions in PA (Allegheny County)
Spark plugs - Or should that be done before increasing boost? I'm sitting right around 30k miles

I don't plan on doing anything with the exhaust, aside from an aesthetic change to dual outlet - I like the sound, and don't really care to call too much attention to myself. Couldn't care less about burbles, either.
Right now I'm looking at the BM3/Catted downpipe/charge pipe combo deal offered by x-ph.com. However, if the downpipe isn't going to fly with emissions, then the MG Flasher comes into the equation, as its price is very compelling.
Does anyone have any experience with these things - downpipe and inspections, MG Flasher vs BM3, and what would be most conducive to my goals? Anything that I'm missing? Anything that I think is a good idea, but will go against being suitable for daily/city driving?

THANK YOU!
On my b46 F31, I've done BM3 stage1 93, BMS intake, ER charge pipe, xHP stage 2, xdelete, H&R lowering springs, used a dual outlet M235IX muffler, cf front splitter. was going to go catless downpipe and stage 2 but the increases aren't that great and I'm happy with the sound as is. Forgot Mperformance brakes
Attached Images

07-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Perhaps not what you're asking for, but I'd personally consider your suspension/wheels/tires before anything you've mentioned.
I’ll most likely be doing a separate post for that in the suspension forum. The wheels will probably be the last thing I change, but I’ll definitely upgrade tires once they start to go. I have a bit of hesitation towards lowering the car, as I live in the land of potholes and uneven roads (Pittsburgh). Strut tower braces are definitely in the near future, but everything else will require a bit of research first.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman670 View Post
On my b46 F31, I've done BM3 stage1 93, BMS intake, ER charge pipe, xHP stage 2, xdelete, H&R lowering springs, used a dual outlet M235IX muffler, cf front splitter. was going to go catless downpipe and stage 2 but the increases aren't that great and I'm happy with the sound as is. Forgot Mperformance brakes
That looks clean as hell - I love the red accents, that’s what I’m going with. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced set of M Performance brakes, and will be almost certainly be going with red. How is the xHP treating you? If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the muffler and install set you back?

Also, am I the only one who wishes someone made M3xx Sport style front bumpers for the 4 series? I love the M4xx Sport style, and I wouldn’t feel right putting an M4 bumper on, but there’s something about the 3 series’ M Sport front bumper that I just love.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
Milkman670
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i F31 MSport II

Quote:
Quote:
That looks clean as hell - I love the red accents, that's what I'm going with. I've been keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced set of M Performance brakes, and will be almost certainly be going with red. How is the xHP treating you? If you don't mind me asking, how much did the muffler and install set you back?

Also, am I the only one who wishes someone made M3xx Sport style front bumpers for the 4 series? I love the M4xx Sport style, and I wouldn't feel right putting an M4 bumper on, but there's something about the 3 series' M Sport front bumper that I just love.
Thanks, clean is what I'm going for, the red accents started because I have coral red interior.
I am still playing with the xhp, slow process as I'm trying to keep track of setting for awd/rwd setup so I can flash for either. Is it worth the cost? I would says yes and hopefully when all dialed in will be a definitely. Have fun with the build.
As for exhaust, I bought the M235 muffler off a guy on local BMW fb page for $50, was a pretty much new takeoff and muffler shop charged me $200 to fit it in, a 340 would have lined up better. The dual outlet rear valance was another takeoff from a 335 f30, $70.
      07-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
I’ll most likely be doing a separate post for that in the suspension forum. The wheels will probably be the last thing I change, but I’ll definitely upgrade tires once they start to go. I have a bit of hesitation towards lowering the car, as I live in the land of potholes and uneven roads (Pittsburgh). Strut tower braces are definitely in the near future, but everything else will require a bit of research first.
Fair enough. I'm just going by your "goals" listed ("look fly as hell and be as fun to drive as possible, while still being a comfortable daily driver that is good for road trips.") Throw a tune on, and you're getting the majority of gains possible with this platform. Spend the rest on what I mentioned, which will improve "performance" more than everything else you've listed. And, get actual coilovers, not lowering springs.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for checking out our website

Bootmod3 is my favorite tune, its the most advanced, easy to use option with unparalleled options and support. We offer it with 30-day money-back guarantee, give it a try and if you do not like it we'll refund you no questions asked

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #12
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

Here is the Intercooler/Heat Exchange Upgrade!

https://x-ph.com/csf-bmw-b58-high-pe...eat-exchanger/

This fits the B46/B48 as well! Maybe Mike can update his site?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
zerodb
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Here is the Intercooler/Heat Exchange Upgrade!

https://x-ph.com/csf-bmw-b58-high-pe...eat-exchanger/

This fits the B46/B48 as well! Maybe Mike can update his site?
Has anyone seen the results of this upgrade on the 4cyl cars? I'm really interested in finding out whether this is a worthwhile move as back in my N54 days I remember what a HUGE issue IAT was for performance and if this is a significant improvement then I'd be all for it. On the other hand it's possible that it's the heat exchanger in the intake manifold that truly limits us, and in that case I'm wondering how long it takes before someone starts creating an Air/Air intercooler kit to add a more "conventional" IC to our cars (even if that means we end up with both!)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
Has anyone seen the results of this upgrade on the 4cyl cars? I'm really interested in finding out whether this is a worthwhile move as back in my N54 days I remember what a HUGE issue IAT was for performance and if this is a significant improvement then I'd be all for it. On the other hand it's possible that it's the heat exchanger in the intake manifold that truly limits us, and in that case I'm wondering how long it takes before someone starts creating an Air/Air intercooler kit to add a more "conventional" IC to our cars (even if that means we end up with both!)
I’m curious as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Absolutely doing
Intake
Charge pipe
Tune
OP did you end up getting an aftermarket charge pipe, if so, which one did you get.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Doubleojon
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by learntocode View Post
OP did you end up getting an aftermarket charge pipe, if so, which one did you get.
Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I decided to wait until the factory warranty expires. Gives me more time to save for the full bootmod3 package
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #17
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
As I have all of the time in the world on my hands with funemployment, I’ve decided to start mapping out my plans for mods, and I could use some input in regards to performance.
Absolutely doing
Intake
Charge pipe
Tune
Catted downpipe - need to make sure I’ll pass emissions in PA (Allegheny County)
Spark plugs - Or should that be done before increasing boost? I’m sitting right around 30k miles

I don’t plan on doing anything with the exhaust, aside from an aesthetic change to dual outlet - I like the sound, and don’t really care to call too much attention to myself. Couldn’t care less about burbles, either.
Right now I’m looking at the BM3/Catted downpipe/charge pipe combo deal offered by x-ph.com. However, if the downpipe isn’t going to fly with emissions, then the MG Flasher comes into the equation, as its price is very compelling.
Does anyone have any experience with these things - downpipe and inspections, MG Flasher vs BM3, and what would be most conducive to my goals? Anything that I’m missing? Anything that I think is a good idea, but will go against being suitable for daily/city driving?

THANK YOU!
bm3 is more commonly used but people have had great results from mgflasher, honestly both are pretty similar.

I suggest also getting the xHP transmission flash.

A catted downpipe will be able to pass emissions.

I have an 18 430ix and bought the exact combo from x-ph and will keep you posted. Also the OEM exhaust is very restrictive and imo its not worth doing an intake + charge pipe upgrade for just a stage 1 as there won't be real performance difference than stock + ecu flash.

CSF heat exchanger or Wagner are the only options for B48/B58 and not necessary for stage 1.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #18
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m curious as well.
Temps materially lower, but the performance gain not materially noticeable on the B48.

B58 with a lot of boost stage 2 might benefit but since going to water-to-air heat soak is less of an issue than N55 and N20s.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #19
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Good thread, I recently bought 2017 330xi, looking into power mods as well......
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #20
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
what tires and rims are these?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #21
zerodb
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
what tires and rims are these?
They look like BMW 361 wheels, I think the black and red color scheme was even an OEM option but that may have been done aftermarket. I've got 361s on mine also but they're the OEM silver/gray two tone look.
Appreciate 1
Avaley731.00
      10-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #22
jaylonepa
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330e Melbourne Red

Anyone running the Injen intake? currently have a BMS on and I honestly dont think im a fan.
Appreciate 0