F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Dealership resprayed wrong panel
Studio RSR

08-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #1
Owz88
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe F32

Unhappy Dealership resprayed wrong panel

So my saga continues, a few weeks ago I purchased a lovely BMW Used Approved 440i in Tanzanite Blue, 2017 with 13k miles. Everything was good until I got home and realised there was damage to the paint on the rear drivers side wheel arch with another little patch of bubbling further up the same panel.

I informed the salesperson that sold me the car and sent through some photographs, its clear that its not a case of it being damaged but the top/clear coat just all flaking off in the area, the dark undercoat is still unmarred. He agrees to take the car back in and have the entire panel resprayed which I was happy with, I also asked for the small "M" badges to be put back on the wheels as they were missing (assumedly from refurb prior to sale), this was also agreed.

The irony is that he wanted to do it last week whilst he was in the office before he went on leave to ensure that he could "supervise the process" and make sure it was done correctly and not cocked up by someone else when he went on leave.

They kindly delivered a courtesy car last week and the driver picked up my new car and took it back, I pointed out the paint damage to him and he agreed there was something wrong with the paint on that panel not damage related, either way he was simply the driver.

This morning the same driver turned up with my car and I excitedly went over to check out the repair/respray on the panel to find the damage still there... I said this to the driver and he was standing on the opposite side of the car and said "Yeah they've resprayed the wrong panel, they've clearly done this one" - I walk around and sure as shit the passenger side rear quarter has been resprayed and a piss poor job has been done, three areas that look like sanding marks clear in the "new" paint.

I am incredulous at this point at how they have managed to fuck this up and the driver also seems to be, he says that its unacceptable and he'll take it straight back to the dealer as long as I am happy to have the courtesy car longer. I did have the car booked in today for the MPPSK install at another dealer so I have had to cancel this too.

The driver then phoned the salesperson at home on leave and tells him what has happened, I get a call a few minutes later from said salesperson that tries to suggest three times in the call (and all whilst stating he didn't have access to his laptop to check his emails) that I had told him the nearside panel was the damaged one. I told him I wouldn't have said nearside/offside because people always screw it up, I would have said driver/passenger but that I would check my emails, he reluctantly agrees to get it remedied but again seems to try and place the blame on me.

The driver takes my car back (and at this point he has put more miles on it than I have).

I come in and check my emails and confirm that both times I discuss the damage I refer to "rear driver's side wheel arch" including in the email I sent the photos of the damage through on.

I am at this moment in time waiting for a call back from his manager because whilst I am totally accepting that cock ups happen, I am not impressed with the immediate and repeated suggestion that it was my fault.

Oh and top top it off, the window trim on the resprayed panel wasn't put back on properly and is all out of whack and the "M" logos on the wheels were all still missing.

At this point something to the tune of 400 miles have been put on the car by the delivery driver to try and remedy this, they have resprayed a perfectly fine panel and made it much much worse than before and have yet to rectify the damage, I have had to cancel the MPPSK fitting today and book another day including another day of annual leave as this cannot be done on a weekend according to the dealer.

Does anyone have any suggestions of should I be looking for in terms of recompense for this saga?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:57 AM   #2
onix45
Rep
Drives: 435i

Honestly, respraying jobs are never up to par with factory and are never perfect (in my experience).
Seeing as they resprayed the wrong panel, and also did a very poor job at it, it seems like the painters are no good and will ruin any factory painted part that they touch. If you are sensitive to looks and can spot differences in the uniformness of your cars paint it will always bother you (it certainly bothers me). Especially when/if they "fix" the bad job they did and repaint the correct part - you will have at least 2 areas on the car with mismatching paint in at least Some lighting conditions. Also, i am not sure how the purchasing/leasing works where you are, but mismatching paint and partially repainted body has a negative effect on the residual value of the car.

Again - i do not know how it works where you are, but if possible, i would try to get rid of the car (with full compensation hopefully), or get them to repaint the whole thing at a quality place (not gonna happen probably).
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00