F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R vs Dinan Springs?
ARMA SPEED

04-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
H&R vs Dinan Springs?

Any of you fellas gone from H&R sport springs to Dinan springs on your F30? If so what is the spring rate of the dinan, is it stiffer then the H&R? I read somewhere that the H&R have same rate as OEM just lower for improved looks.

My situation with H&R sport and runflat tires was ride was bouncy hard and it seemed like I bottomed out a lot.

I ditched the RFT in favor of some Bridgestone PP s04 and they are phenominal, grip great but not the ride seems very very mushy and I get some type of tail slop especially at higher speed maneuvers, the car seems very wobbly. What can I do to fix this? Better shocks? Or is coil over the one and only solution. I hope Dinan springs will do the trick as being the cheapest option.

What are your thoughts and advice?
      04-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
What suspension do you have? MSport?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix
What suspension do you have? MSport?
Yes
      04-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

I thought of getting springs, but decided not to waste my time and get coils. I might get them installed next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlthnmrdrd
I thought of getting springs, but decided not to waste my time and get coils. I might get them installed next week.
The more and more I read and dig, coil overs are the only way to go. Springs aren't tuned correctly and are a waste of time and headaches.
      04-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlthnmrdrd
The more and more I read and dig, coil overs are the only way to go. Springs aren't tuned correctly and are a waste of time and headaches.
I got dinans in for my xdrive 335. A lot better than stock. For what I do daily and few track days and autoX out of the year the Dinans springs with bump stops good enough for me.
      04-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

not sure how low you want for aesthetics but if you're not x-drive the m-performance suspension is great. i just installed on my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad
not sure how low you want for aesthetics but if you're not x-drive the m-performance suspension is great. i just installed on my vehicle.
Ya I've read it's a nice setup l, but for the money I can get coil overs. I'm RWD. I think the M perf is $1500 last I checked.

Are you still on RFT?
      04-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Ya I've read it's a nice setup l, but for the money I can get coil overs. I'm RWD. I think the M perf is $1500 last I checked.

Are you still on RFT?
i have 441m with bridgestone potenza s001 runflats and also have volk racing g25 with bridgestone s-04 goflats.

yes the m-performance susp is $1500. coilovers are lighter and some cost less but good coilovers (ohlins, AST, etc) cost a lot more than $1500. i also prefer with top hats such as tc kline and cks which also cost more. i wasn't interested in anything too low and fussing with ride height, ride/handling settings, numerous alignments. the m-perf is just a "one and done", "works good lasts long time" (hopefully) kind of thing.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 04-21-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad
Quote:

Are you still on RFT?
i have 441m with bridgestone potenza s001 runflats and also have volk racing g25 with bridgestone s-05 goflats.

yes the m-performance susp is $1500. coilovers are lighter and some cost less but good coilovers (ohlins, AST, etc) cost a lot more than $1500. i wasn't interested in anything too low and fussing with ride height, ride/handling settings, numerous alignments. the m-perf is just a "one and done", "works good lasts long time" (hopefully) kind thing.
Yeah I'm with you on that, I had a car with coil overs before and it was a PITA adjusting and screwing with it. I have learned that tires make a huge difference especially run flats. They ride harsh and hit like a brick. Once I installed my Bridgestone S04's go flats it was much better, ride quality is superb. But the springs are now the issue. In 80+* weather tires get softer n mushy and the h&r spring rate is same as oem so I see some slop in handling and I still tend to bottom out. I may try the Dinan setup for $300 bucks and go from there.

Thanks for the input much appreciated.
      04-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Are you still on RFT?
You really can't get quality coilovers for the same price as the M Performance Suspension kit. Even KW V2/V3 or Bilstein PSS10 are in the $2xxx range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i have 441m with bridgestone potenza s001 runflats and also have volk racing g25 with bridgestone s-05 goflats.

yes the m-performance susp is $1500. coilovers are lighter and some cost less but good coilovers (ohlins, AST, etc) cost a lot more than $1500. i also prefer with top hats such as tc kline and cks which also cost more. i wasn't interested in anything too low and fussing with ride height, ride/handling settings, numerous alignments. the m-perf is just a "one and done", "works good lasts long time" (hopefully) kind of thing.
+1.

The cost for Ohlins Road and Track and AST 5100s is > $3000.

I'm probably going to go with M Performance Suspension when my original Sport Suspension is worn out.

If you DD your vehicle, M Performance Suspension is the way to go unless you can deal with the turn around time of rebuilding the dampers for coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm with you on that, I had a car with coil overs before and it was a PITA adjusting and screwing with it. I have learned that tires make a huge difference especially run flats. They ride harsh and hit like a brick. Once I installed my Bridgestone S04's go flats it was much better, ride quality is superb. But the springs are now the issue. In 80+* weather tires get softer n mushy and the h&r spring rate is same as oem so I see some slop in handling and I still tend to bottom out. I may try the Dinan setup for $300 bucks and go from there.

Thanks for the input much appreciated.
if you're bottoming the strut, it may an indication that your struts have already begun to wear prematurely, typical with factory strut and lowering springs. the dinan has cut bumpstops (or you can buy your own and cut them) which may help with bottoming for the time being. it would suck to go through all of that and have problems arise. on the other hand if it all works out then you will be saving a lot, i suppose...ok, good luck with the dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
if you're bottoming the strut, it may an indication that your struts have already begun to wear prematurely, typical with factory strut and lowering springs. the dinan has cut bumpstops (or you can buy your own and cut them) which may help with bottoming for the time being. it would suck to go through all of that and have problems arise. on the other hand if it all works out then you will be saving a lot, i suppose...ok, good luck with the dinan.
They're not worn yet, its a typical side affect with any H&R sport spring with oem bump stops, its why most folks on here have long ditched the H&R spring setup and I may be the next to do so. I think for now Dinan springs are a good option for the money and everyone says they handle good and very well for the street.

BY the way mod bargains has Vogland coil overs for our cars non EDC for $900 bucks and Vogland is a great German Brand.
      04-23-2016, 02:35 AM   #14
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

If going with the dinan springs, the matching bumpstop is a must have?

I have m sport suspension + adaptive suspension
But I am looking for a little tighter and lower
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

How long did you guys wait for the springs to settle. It's been few weeks/ month for mine.
The front has a bigger gap than the rear.
I'm on dinans with bump stops.
Attached Images

04-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
If going with the dinan springs, the matching bumpstop is a must have?

I have m sport suspension + adaptive suspension
But I am looking for a little tighter and lower
the dinan bumpstops are shorter. this makes the effective length of the strut shorter. with factory bumpstops the strut is compressed by the difference in height between the factory springs and the dinan (or any lowering) springs thus reducing strut travel and is one of the causes of oem strut failure with just lowering springs.

the dinan bumpstops appear to be factory bumpstops that cut in half but i'm not sure. it's a cheap/effective way of making effective strut travel match their spring height.

it is more complex than my simple explanation so do some research.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnrice
How long did you guys wait for the springs to settle. It's been few weeks/ month for mine.
Can you tell me your wheel brand & model along with size and offset? Tire sizes?

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #18
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN
Quote:
Can you tell me your wheel brand & model along with size and offset? Tire sizes?
Forgot the brand. I let my shop pick it for me really. CSL type with low weight 18"s. Price them for me around 2000-2300 with BF Goodrich sport comp 2/ conti dws tires. I have to check ET for you.
But wheel size
Front - 245/40r18
Rear - 275/35r18
Notes: front needs another 5mm to make it flush. Rear pokes out a little but if I go down to 265/35or 40 r 18 it should be flush. But I like the little poke.
      04-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
this.

dont waste your time with springs. i ran h&rs for 2 months in the summer, bent 3 of my wheels, felt like i was driving around a tin can; not a BMW. switched to KW street comforts and its been light and day. 0 wheel gap @ its lowest setting, and my ride quality is on par with stock.

save yourself the time and money
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #20
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post
dont waste your time with springs. i ran h&rs for 2 months in the summer, bent 3 of my wheels, felt like i was driving around a tin can; not a BMW. switched to KW street comforts and its been light and day.
Which suspension did you start from - regular or sport (Option 704)?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Forgot the brand. I let my shop pick it for me really. CSL type with low weight 18"s. Price them for me around 2000-2300 with BF Goodrich sport comp 2/ conti dws tires. I have to check ET for you.
But wheel size
Front - 245/40r18
Rear - 275/35r18
Notes: front needs another 5mm to make it flush. Rear pokes out a little but if I go down to 265/35or 40 r 18 it should be flush. But I like the little poke.
Does Avant Garde M359 sound familiar?

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #22
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But wheel size
Front - 245/40r18
Rear - 275/35r18
Does Avant Garde M359 sound familiar?
Ditto!
I'm starting to like the EC-7 from apex. If you get them you should be able to fit my tire set up. But if you do track, get a square setup.