F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Using higher octane than what you tuned for?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #23
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

I ran a 93 octane Stage 2+ tune on Shell V-Power 93 and was still getting knock in my logs. Since I needed to add some E85 to fix it, I just moved to an E30 tune, mix for E35 and have had very few instances since. If the logs dictate that you need the octane, then you can't argue with the facts. If you're throwing it in there without doing the research, yeah it not going to harm anything, but you may be wasting time and money by not just getting the data you need in the first place.

I too cannnnnnnnot wait til the Gen1 Flex Fuel maps gets released........
      11-01-2021, 05:28 AM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

All said so far is true but does not consider 2 further factors:

- Higher octane fuel typically reduces fuel consumption. Not drastically, but usually enough to compensate for some of the extra cost
- Higher octane fuel typically comes with additives. Some of the latter are empirically proven to maintain a cleaner engine and fuel-related engine components.

The combination of the 2 above was enough for me to keep tanking higher octane fuel than my engine is set-up for, on both of my cars. Been doing that for 10 years now. Problem with fuel is like with everything else - if you ask for cheap - you get cheap...