F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Xdrive lowering
Studio RSR

10-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i (N26)

F30 Xdrive lowering

Does anyone know what's the safest and lowest ride height that an xdrive car can be at to not worry about popping/snapping the front axles?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.Krystian View Post
Does anyone know what's the safest and lowest ride height that an xdrive car can be at to not worry about popping/snapping the front axles?
Rule of thumb is don't lower the front of an XDrive more than 1.5". Take accurate baseline measurements
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00
      10-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Rule of thumb is don't lower the front of an XDrive more than 1.5". Take accurate baseline measurements
Quote:
Quote:
Do you know what stock xdrive ride height is? I already lowered my car and I don't remember the stock ride height
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you know what stock xdrive ride height is? I already lowered my car and I don't remember the stock ride height
It varies by model. For consistency I measure from the centerpoint of the BMW emblem on the wheel vertically to the fender lip. That way you have the measurement to the center of the axle which won't change regardless of any variation in wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It varies by model. For consistency I measure from the centerpoint of the BMW emblem on the wheel vertically to the fender lip. That way you have the measurement to the center of the axle which won't change regardless of any variation in wheels/tires.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate it, i have like slightly less than a finger gap right now, but I'm going to raise it to about a two finger for piece of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #6
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Each axle is about $1400, each so don't go crazy with lowering. I've got ACS springs and you'd think the ride height is factory. I believe Eibach also makes a reasonable set as well that makes the car look more factory than the slammed look. Dinan and H&R offer something a little lower and I haven't seen any complaints from xDrivers for F3x chassis so that might be something to look at. Keep in mind some springs are OE damper friendly and some are not. Choose carefully.
      10-27-2021, 12:11 AM   #7
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Quote:
Each axle is about $1400, each so don't go crazy with lowering. I've got ACS springs and you'd think the ride height is factory. I believe Eibach also makes a reasonable set as well that makes the car look more factory than the slammed look. Dinan and H&R offer something a little lower and I haven't seen any complaints from xDrivers for F3x chassis so that might be something to look at. Keep in mind some springs are OE damper friendly and some are not. Choose carefully.
h&r springs are about a two finger gap no?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I've heard H&R is lower than Eibach or ACS but there might be more than one model of H&R. I'd double-check that. I checked my car right now and the ACS springs have a 2~2.5 finger gap.

Name:  gap.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  397.9 KB
      10-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I have a 2015 328i xdrive and have this exact setup which in my opinion is the best lowering option for this car without crashing over bumps or a super harsh ride. Also, big thanks to johnung who helped answer tons of suspension questions for me!

- Eibach Pro Kit Spring - part no. E10-20-031-04-22
- Koni Special Active struts - part no. 87451378KT
- shortened front bump stops from BMW E39 - part no. 31331138814
- shortened rear bump stops (I didn't end up installing as it wasnt necessary) - part no. 33536762722
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5886.00
johnung4528.00
      10-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Prudent guidance from johnung. I would be even more conservative - no more than 1".
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Prudent guidance from johnung. I would be even more conservative - no more than 1".
I've usually felt confident saying 1.5" because spring manufacturers like H&R list xDrive springs with 1.5" drop. But then again a buddy of mine has a 435ix and when it's parked next to my 335ix, his chassis appears lower to begin with.

That's just eyeballing it though. Would have to actually take measurements to make sure that it isn't an optical illusion. I typically recommend to take before/after measurements from the center of the BMW logo on each wheel to the lower edge of the fender lip. That provides a true axle center measurement that shouldn't change if wheels/tires are swapped.

Problem is everyone does what I did three years ago. Throw those new lowering springs on without doing a "before" measurement! 😀
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Quote:
I've heard H&R is lower than Eibach or ACS but there might be more than one model of H&R. I'd double-check that. I checked my car right now and the ACS springs have a 2~2.5 finger gap.

Attachment 2729327
Great, I will raise my car to a 2 finger gap
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
F30.Krystian
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys
Appreciate 0