F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 PWG jb4 high boost map 1 partial throttle?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #23
mineral_f30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i, '18 X3 M40i

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

It's unfortunate that map 2 feels like stock.
Well, I guess relative to map 1, but that's also at partial throttle.

What about comparing wot between the two maps?

Which version are you currently running on, btw?
Here's the lastest post on the thread on n54tech: "Personally I love the WG pre-spool in map 1 of V9, its like an antilag feature. However is this safe on the turbo in the long run? With v10 i had hesitation under 2k RPM that is not found on any other map. Hence reverted back to spooling on v9 "
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #24
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2013 335i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral_f30 View Post
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

It's unfortunate that map 2 feels like stock.
Well, I guess relative to map 1, but that's also at partial throttle.

What about comparing wot between the two maps?

Which version are you currently running on, btw?
Here's the lastest post on the thread on n54tech: "Personally I love the WG pre-spool in map 1 of V9, its like an antilag feature. However is this safe on the turbo in the long run? With v10 i had hesitation under 2k RPM that is not found on any other map. Hence reverted back to spooling on v9 "
I'm still switching between the 2 to see what I like better, at least around town, but am primarily running map2 I would say. Also after having seat time with both maps now, I wouldn't say map 1 is necessarily stronger under partial throttle, it just takes much less throttle input to target higher boost. It gives it a much more "flash tune" type of feel. Different styles of driving for each map.

I also wouldn't say map 2 feels like stock, just the boost build-up is stock like, as opposed to surgey on map 1.

WOT between the 2 is no comparison. Map 2 is a freaking beast! I was giving it some WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear and no matter where I put my phone to monitor the gauges it would fly out of position from the torque lol.

Map 2 is probably the smoother of the 2. But map 1 does give better turbo sounds in my opinion. I say just mess around with them and see what you like. Make sure you have a DP if you're running 2 though.

As for firmware:
I was on 10, which is what it came with. Then switched to 9, which felt the same as 10 so switched back to 10. Then terry gave me 11 to try which just allows you to turn the map 1 feature off if desired, otherwise its the same as 10. So technically im on FW11, but its essentially the exact same as FW10

I also don't believe I feel any hesitation on map 1 on FW10, personally. At least nothing has stood out to me.

Last edited by BryanF30; 04-05-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
Bts535i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xdrive

Omg thank you guys so much.
I just bought my first bmw 535 a few months back and since then I've added a jb4 and dp.
The jb4 never worked for me as advertised and I wasn't building boost.
After replacing my boost solenoid I had boost, and a lot of it in map 1.
After replacing the solenoid and trying map 2 i was extremely disappointed compared to map 1.
I've been posting and reading and reading and reading and couldn't figure this out. Now I know.
I cant thank you enough for explaining this to me.

Now has anyone upgraded to the iso update
Appreciate 0