F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Hifi Factory Amp Question
ARMA SPEED

08-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #45
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I should also note that I do like the BSW speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #46
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
If you already bought the BSW's, the JL route is the simplest way to go. A DSP will be more complicated unless you are familiar with setting them up. I know MusicarNW sells a couple of them pre-configured, but I don't know if they have done a base setup with BSW's on the MS-8 or the Helix's that they use. To be sure, you may want to email them off of their website. MusicarNW's folk and Technic are the voices of sanity in the crazy BMW-audio world and they won't steer you wrong. If I had realized that before I started futzing with my e90, I would have saved myself a lot of headaches.

I have run my system for significant amounts of time without the center channel connected and it has zero effect on the bluetooth phone features. I've seen this question a few times and I'm not sure how it got to be a popular thought, but the center channel is NOT necessary for you to make phone calls. The Speaker is just Left plus Right squished together, so all the sounds it makes will come out of other speakers. Center delete or Center retain is an argument each of us has to have with ourselves, but either way we still get to make phone calls while stuck in traffic.
OK - I have reached out to MusicNR, will wait to see what I hear back. This is good info though. Makes sense on the center channel.

If I were to get an amp, would the JL XD800/8 actually work (Ie... plug-n-play with the Technic Harness)?

Quote:
I should also note that I do like the BSW speakers.
At least I've checked off one part of the project...good to know...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #47
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I believe Technic has illustrated the connections with his harness for it a few times. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #48
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
I believe Technic has illustrated the connections with his harness for it a few times. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.
OK Awesome, it appears that I have the below audio system, so this JL amplifier should pop right in with the correct harness (it seems).

Going to wait for Technic to chime in and hopefully he can give some light on using his harness with that amplifier and/or what my best option is, then I can pick one up and be good to go. Know he is a busy man!

Last edited by CntryClub007; 01-25-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #49
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
OK Awesome, it appears that I have the below audio system, so this JL amplifier should pop right in with the correct harness (it seems).

Going to wait for Technic to chime in and hopefully he can give some light on using his harness with that amplifier and/or what my best option is, then I can pick one up and be good to go. Know he is a busy man!
HiFi with XD600/6 = http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=40

HiFi with XD800/8 = http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...72&postcount=3
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #50
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Vielen Dank!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #51
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hi - PM sent on an F30 harness w/ center channel, let me know if you got it. I know you are busy and they might be on back order. Ready to pay for your harness kit whenever it is ready.

I believe it includes the Power Wire, Ground Wire, and OEM -> Aftermarket Amplifier Harness, correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #52
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Is it possible to ad tweeters to my base model 320i?

If I get the Bavsound kit, are their tweeters directly connected to the door speakers or I will need to wire them all the way to the amp?
      08-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #53
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75fusca View Post
Is it possible to ad tweeters to my base model 320i?

If I get the Bavsound kit, are their tweeters directly connected to the door speakers or I will need to wire them all the way to the amp?
I believe those door speakers and tweeters share the same channel on the amp, and the BavSound kit goes from the door to the tweeter and there is a crossover between them.

15:00 mark on this video:

You would need the tweeter triangles I believe.

Once again, this is all based on what I think and what I believed I have learned over the last few weeks, I'm not an expert like others here on this thread.

Last edited by CntryClub007; 08-03-2014 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #54
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Thank you CntryClub007, great info!
      05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #55
creolecaf974
Registered
Reunion
Rep
Drives: F30 325d 218hp sedan

Quote:
Hi Technic,
Are you still around ??
I need you magic harness for replacing my F30 hifi oem amp with a JL Audio XD800/8v2 amplifier (I would like to keep my central channel).
Would you please tell me how to order ?
I just notice I have no privilège for sending you PM at the moment.
Thanks by advance
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #56
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creolecaf974 View Post
Hi Technic,
Are you still around ??
I need you magic harness for replacing my F30 hifi oem amp with a JL Audio XD800/8v2 amplifier (I would like to keep my central channel).
Would you please tell me how to order ?
I just notice I have no privilège for sending you PM at the moment.
Thanks by advance
Contribute to the forum so you can get the PM permit...
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      05-11-2015, 11:57 PM   #57
creolecaf974
Registered
Reunion
Rep

Quote:
Contribute to the forum so you can get the PM permit...
Hi,
So here I am to tell you what I need !
I'm young in the forum but I read nearly everything you wrote about audio upgrade for F30 !! As you recommand, I intend to upgrade the amp first and then the speakers if needed....I guess it will !
My F30 is an HIFI one (oem amp + 9hp)
I want to install a JL Audio XD800/8 v2. I plan to keep the central channel wich bring a voice presence benefit and I like it (subjective I admit..).
So I read about free battery connections you need to konw (1 wire or two wire). I can make pictures to show you mine. On my car, I think a two wire emplacement is free.
can you tell what these connections is for ? I mean why it is important rather than connect the power cable directly to the battery + ?
Thanks for all
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #58
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Again... you need to use PM. This is not the thread to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creolecaf974 View Post
Hi,
So here I am to tell you what I need !
I'm young in the forum but I read nearly everything you wrote about audio upgrade for F30 !! As you recommand, I intend to upgrade the amp first and then the speakers if needed....I guess it will !
My F30 is an HIFI one (oem amp + 9hp)
I want to install a JL Audio XD800/8 v2. I plan to keep the central channel wich bring a voice presence benefit and I like it (subjective I admit..).
So I read about free battery connections you need to konw (1 wire or two wire). I can make pictures to show you mine. On my car, I think a two wire emplacement is free.
can you tell what these connections is for ? I mean why it is important rather than connect the power cable directly to the battery + ?
Thanks for all
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #59
creolecaf974
Registered
Reunion
Rep

Quote:
Again... you need to use PM. This is not the thread to do this.
ok, sorry.
I sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 03:08 AM   #60
min
Rep
Drives: BMW 750D LCI (G11)

Hi all,

I am reviving this thread with a simple question after a recent upgrade on my base stereo F30 which I am quite disappointed about. Actually after the upgrade (2 way speakers in front doors, 2 way but coaxial in rear doors, underseat woofers upgrade, 4 channel amp for front doors and for woofers plus a Hi/Lo converter) - the bass is close to what I was hoping for but mid and especially highs clarity/fidelity is quite disappointing. I assume most of the issue is caused by the hi/low converter (from VIBE) and by the general approach of using amplified signal as input for another amplifier.

Now for my next step - is it confirmed that coding the head unit to Hi-Fi will provide the best quality signal for an amplifier? I am targeting also good fidelity for my car music and purchasing the needed 4/6 Technic harness plus Hi-Fi coding plus another amplifier (6 channel JL) hopefully will solve my issue - BUT some additional confirmation/advice before investing further money would be very welcome.

I know another alternative would involve replacing the current hi/low converter with a good quality EQ but setting these up is not always a straight forward job and I am not sure the final quality will be equivalent with the Hi-Fi coding (for flat/balanced non-eq outputs) plus 6 channel amp.

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #61
mik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 48i Msport

Garage List
question for tecnic or any of the fellas that did the 600/6 upgrade and were not happy with the sound afterward. what was your next step. did you use components up front or just upgrade the tweeters, and with what? i have a f32 coupe with hifi
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #62
min
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
question for tecnic or any of the fellas that did the 600/6 upgrade and were not happy with the sound afterward. what was your next step. did you use components up front or just upgrade the tweeters, and with what? i have a f32 coupe with hifi
I can quote some piece of advice received from Technic mainly plus a little additional feedback from others: DSP installation is a must (Helix seems to be the best but several are satisfied also with the cheaper Audison alternative). For tweeters upgrade only - JL Audio C2 or C5 tweeters are the winners although a full upgrade is highly recommended. For complete set - in US Bavsound seem to be preferred although Eton and Focal are very good alternatives. Personally I test-listened to a combination of Earthquake subs with high-end ES100K Focal mids&tweeters and I was impressed, so such a set is on my list.
As usual, all tastes and opinions are relative, so the more advice you receive the more confused you might get (one might rate a system as 'ultimate' while some others might think it's mediocre). Myself, after 1000$+ wasted on a disappointing upgrade (based on statements, advice, marketing with full MB Quart set) my strong recommentation is to try to find a similar car with yours (same interior shape) which has an upgrade you are targeting, test fully the audio system and only after that place the order. I had such an opportunity when it was too late - otherwise I would have spared a lot of money.

Good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #63
mik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 48i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by min View Post
I can quote some piece of advice received from Technic mainly plus a little additional feedback from others: DSP installation is a must (Helix seems to be the best but several are satisfied also with the cheaper Audison alternative). For tweeters upgrade only - JL Audio C2 or C5 tweeters are the winners although a full upgrade is highly recommended. For complete set - in US Bavsound seem to be preferred although Eton and Focal are very good alternatives. Personally I test-listened to a combination of Earthquake subs with high-end ES100K Focal mids&tweeters and I was impressed, so such a set is on my list.
As usual, all tastes and opinions are relative, so the more advice you receive the more confused you might get (one might rate a system as 'ultimate' while some others might think it's mediocre). Myself, after 1000$+ wasted on a disappointing upgrade (based on statements, advice, marketing with full MB Quart set) my strong recommentation is to try to find a similar car with yours (same interior shape) which has an upgrade you are targeting, test fully the audio system and only after that place the order. I had such an opportunity when it was too late - otherwise I would have spared a lot of money.

Good luck with your choice!
Thanks for the cliff notes sir
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #64
loc2000
Loc2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 LCI 730d

Quote:
It is not so much that those installs were wrong, they were just improper for the OEM specifications of the HiFi system.

The F30 OEM HiFi system specs are quite basic:

- iDrive outputs (4) balanced/differential, low level, 5V, flat-response, analog signals
- OEM amp takes those (4) balanced analog signals as inputs and output 7 channels of high level signals: 5 x 25W (mid and tweeters in parallel) and 2 x 40W (woofers) max
- OEM amp has built-in DSP

Therefore the OEM amp can be directly replaced by any 6- or 7-channel balanced-inputs aftermarket amp. The direct and easiest aftermarket amps to install in any F30/32/80/82/10 are the JL Audio XD600/6 (removes center speaker) and the XD800/8 (keeps center speaker). These amps can take 4 inputs and create up to 8ch outputs, either by just flipping a switch (XD600/6) or by using RCA splitters.

One thing to consider: the OEM amp built-in DSP is there for a reason: to compensate for mediocre OEM speakers. Aftermarket amps without DSP may only increase the awareness of how mediocre the OEM speakers are. May or may not, as sometimes loudness is only what some customers think as audio quality.

Because the iDrive outputs are flat in response then there is no need for any correcting-signal device before aftermarket amps or DSP. No need of any de-EQ procedure, no need of any Cleansweep. Just iDrive outputs connected directly to amps or DSP.

Nevertheless, the same balanced signal requirements apply to aftermarket DSP. The Alpine PXA-H800, the Helix DSP, the JBL MS-8 for example, all can accept balanced-inputs directly.

If your equipment that you got cannot accept balanced-signals then no problem: use an Audiocontrol Matrix in between the iDrive and your equipment. The Matrix is a line driver and a balanced to unbalanced converter. Notice something, it will take a low level signal and will convert it into a low level signal but just unbalanced. No signal degradation; actually, being a line driver it can make the unbalanced signal output stronger. No need to be messing around with the aftermarket amps gains, increasing noise and hiss.

This is fundamentally what anybody needs to know before upgrading the OEM HiFi system. Anything else is just improper.
If I wanted to upgrade speakers and keep my stock hifi amp in my f01, what would be the best option? I was thinking about (match set with 2 ohm woofers) http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...68728000&ver=0 . Is that set gonna improve sound quality and be louder that stock speakers?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #65
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Probably not. Contrary to advertising claims the OEM speakers are quite good. Where some improvement can be had is in the low frequency extension of the under seat woofers, but only if the amplifier power is significantly boosted.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #66
min
Rep

Another approach is to go for a complete set (amp and speakers) already tested/recommended by a prestigious dealer or, ideally, a set which you can test on a car similar car to yours in order to expect a predictable result when you make the investment for the upgrade. Several users/providers claim that specific speakers do not 'match' well with just any good amp (even if that could be addressed partialy with a DSP). Also the same setup (speakers/amp) might sound different depending on the car type (saloon/estate/SUV, interior size, shape, sound waves propagation etc).
Appreciate 0