F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cold air intake opinions for N55
GetBMWParts

02-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #67
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwynne View Post
Thanks other Mike! haha

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #68
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
Just buy this one... However the Turner looks like it adds more power for $200 less.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/2...SABEgItIfD_BwE
Sadly I've reached out to basically every vendor and they don't have any left.
Id go with the turner closed one but the filter on it is so damn small. I believe surface area is a key factor in intakes and pipe size.

Honestly I'm ready for someone to release a relocation inlet for our car. Where we move the coolant tank over, and have the short rout to the turbo.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #69
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Sadly I've reached out to basically every vendor and they don't have any left.
Id go with the turner closed one but the filter on it is so damn small. I believe surface area is a key factor in intakes and pipe size.

Honestly I'm ready for someone to release a relocation inlet for our car. Where we move the coolant tank over, and have the short rout to the turbo.
Yeah the long reaching "front arm" is kinda odd, I feel like the N54 had a more direct path..IDK if it affects the physics or engineering but it definitely looked better.

Much like the twin snakes of the RB26 growing up..

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #70
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwynne View Post
Yeah the long reaching "front arm" is kinda odd, I feel like the N54 had a more direct path..IDK if it affects the physics or engineering but it definitely looked better.

Much like the twin snakes of the RB26 growing up..
When I did them on my N54 it really helped throttle response and top end. But The tubes that came out were extremely small, the n55 doesn't have that bad of a snake around.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #71
zazoo
Rep
Drives: F30, N55, PWG

Hi. I have installed it on my f30, but how have you solved the problem with the high-temperature coming from the cooling hose? The aluminum part almost sits on the cooling hose and the intake pipe takes all the heat from it - the intake air before turbo becomes much hotter (especially in a traffic jam) than with OEM. Contacted CTS Turbo and they said, that the intake temperature before turbo doesn't make an impact on performance... So, it seems like they make it just you to have some great Instagram stories..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #72
Fourdirty5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F30 335i & S55 F82 M4

Go Dinan!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #73
E90lova
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazoo View Post
Hi. I have installed it on my f30, but how have you solved the problem with the high-temperature coming from the cooling hose? The aluminum part almost sits on the cooling hose and the intake pipe takes all the heat from it - the intake air before turbo becomes much hotter (especially in a traffic jam) than with OEM. Contacted CTS Turbo and they said, that the intake temperature before turbo doesn't make an impact on performance... So, it seems like they make it just you to have some great Instagram stories..
Turbo heats up air anyways so go figure. I have my intake tube wrapped and I think it was a waste.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:13 AM   #74
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90lova View Post
Turbo heats up air anyways so go figure. I have my intake tube wrapped and I think it was a waste.
The charge pipe is what you need to wrap since its post-IC and that's where you dont want air heating up
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:21 PM   #75
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i sedan

jus installed the dinan. throwin codes all over the place , maf, maps,harnesses.voltage codes, etc etc etc. theres def oil on it when i opened it up. so maybe wipe it off if u go dinan. seriously i may jus go back to stock , car ran great w all my upgrades so far, dinan was last thing.now cels everywhere once up to temp in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 10:53 PM   #76
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjccc View Post
jus installed the dinan. throwin codes all over the place , maf, maps,harnesses.voltage codes, etc etc etc. theres def oil on it when i opened it up. so maybe wipe it off if u go dinan. seriously i may jus go back to stock , car ran great w all my upgrades so far, dinan was last thing.now cels everywhere once up to temp in sport mode.
oil on the MAF will definitely throw codes. Also make sure its plugged in all the way. but yeah, stock MPPK bottom with drop in filter
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:44 AM   #77
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
oil on the MAF will definitely throw codes. Also make sure its plugged in all the way. but yeah, stock MPPK bottom with drop in filter
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289
new maf bout 6 months ago. it was fine. had to replace the map on vrsf chargepipe all is well ran pretty hard after lettin car heat up to temp in comfort and sport for a while no cels. but yea i like the looks of the cts wayyy better , jus dont care for "CF look." only got dinan cause it was closed like oem.but didnt know they oiled it up. then i thought exactly what u say about the mppk. i like that but is anyone good to go with the cts or does it thro cels/get to hot with no real cover/enclosure? i really wish dinan had dry filters the gain is nex to nothing oiled vs dry.also dont like the curve in the dinan filter proprietary stuff.
did engine reset with protool after everything but this dinan, but is there a specific maf reset?

Last edited by jjjccc; 02-06-2024 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:19 AM   #78
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
new maf bout 6 months ago. it was fine. had to replace the map on vrsf chargepipe all is well ran pretty hard after lettin car heat up to temp in comfort and sport for a while no cels. but yea i like the looks of the cts wayyy better , jus dont care for "CF look." only got dinan cause it was closed like oem.but didnt know they oiled it up. then i thought exactly what u say about the mppk. i like that but is anyone good to go with the cts or does it thro cels/get to hot with no real cover/enclosure? i really wish dinan had dry filters the gain is nex to nothing oiled vs dry.also dont like the curve in the dinan filter proprietary stuff.
did engine reset with protool after everything but this dinan, but is there a specific maf reset?

Remove the Dinan and go MPPK with a drop in or CTS (my favorite). I know MHD has a adaptation reset for a few areas, I'd assume BM3 does as well.
      02-06-2024, 11:32 AM   #79
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
No it should reset when you cycle the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:38 PM   #80
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

ok yea, i jus dont like anything about this dinan. i surely thought i was doin rt by gettin an enclosed intake.
even tho cts looks great/runs stable, is it really that loud at idle?? i never had any cai that was loud at idle only when punchin it. my vrsf catted down pipe and borla s type is pretty LOUD at cold start, and in sport mode.almost lil too much for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:54 PM   #81
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ok yea, i jus dont like anything about this dinan. i surely thought i was doin rt by gettin an enclosed intake.
even tho cts looks great/runs stable, is it really that loud at idle?? i never had any cai that was loud at idle only when punchin it. my vrsf catted down pipe and borla s type is pretty LOUD at cold start, and in sport mode.almost lil too much for my taste.
The CTS is not louder at idle, and it doesn't have the weird MAF issues that the Dinan does. It is louder at WOT, but not as much as you think.
      02-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #82
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

In terms of intake - basically anything (but Dinan) is better than stock. I've had 5-6 different setups, including stock, Dinan with MPPK and without, MPPK w/AFE, BMS, CTS and now RK Tunes front mount (it's great too)
  • The RK is easily the quietest - has the most low end torque, best WGDC but has the most involved installation and a higher cost.
  • The CTS is the opposite - easy install, louder, but still has 95% of the performance.
  • The MPPK is 95% of the performance of the CTS, but is quieter and you can do it for free if you want.

When I install my intakes, I reset the Intake Mass Airflow, Lambda Sensors, and Idle. I'd recommend you do the same.
Attached Images

02-06-2024, 05:32 PM   #83
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My intake review thread i posted discusses the sound comparison as well as basically every other aspect of the 3 intakes
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:39 PM   #84
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

thank u all for takin ur time to do this research.
Amuro,maybe i can find those on protool that u list, ill look asap
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:53 PM   #85
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

cts isn’t expensive and makes good noises. Maf holder is a little ugly though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:17 PM   #86
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
cts isn’t expensive and makes good noises. Maf holder is a little ugly though.
The MAF holder design is what sets CTS apart as it mimics the shape of the OEM MAF housing and is why it functions as well as it does
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:12 PM   #87
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

reset adaptations after m perf lower box and filter. now im gettin codes i never seen, says basically somethins drainin battery while at rest. 30f requested doesnt take place,30b on,relay fault in power window regulator, electronic wastegate re-learning cold start. never had these before on the dinan just all types of other ones. how long does it take adapts to relearn air intake/fuel mix and idle?
so many diff things about 30,30a,b,f, on the net but none of this before mppk intake. my batt is only a year old and tests fine on ohm meter. denso alternator is also basically new. maf and map on chargepipe are new also.
batt was like only .2 volts lower than it shud be, cuz i dont drive it often enough, that couldve triggered these per what alternator is doing.i do know our system will thro a code if alternator is over charging battery(in this case batt being low so to system it looks like overcharging), and yes my batt is registered

Last edited by jjjccc; 03-04-2024 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:34 PM   #88
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
reset adaptations after m perf lower box and filter. now im gettin codes i never seen, says basically somethins drainin battery while rest. 30f requested doesnt take place,30b on,relay fault in power window regulator, electronic wastegate re-learning cold start. never had these before on the dinan just all types of other ones. how long does it take adapts to relearn air intake/fuel mix and idle?
so many diff things about 30,30a,b,f, on the net but none of this before mppk intake. my batt is only a year old and tests fine on ohm meter. denso alternator is also basically new. maf and map on chargepipe are new also.
batt was like.2 volts low, cuz i dont drive it often enough, that couldve triggered these per what alternator is doing.i do know our system will thro a code if alternator is over charging battery(in this case batt being low so to system it looks like overcharging), and yes my batt is registered
Wait - what adaptations did you reset? If you did them all, it will take a few cycles to learn. Clear the codes and keep driving
Appreciate 0