F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My review of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen3 RFT
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

My review of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen3 RFT

Main impressions after 9 months of using this All-Seasons tyre:

Slightly firmer feel, and more aware of road imperfections. Don't really consider it more bumpy, but this might be because I have the full ACS suspension that gives huge improvement on suspension control.
Greater amount of rumble through steering wheel.
Slightly more road noise.

Reasonable handling in warm weather during autumn/spring, but particularly stable and secure in winter weeks of freezing conditions. Much better than the Dunlop Sport RFT summer tyres which hardened up considerably when temperatures dropped close to zero.

Overall, the Goodyear's not that much different from my previous non-RFT Cross Climate tires.

I am not fortunate enough to have the privilege of declining travel to work in freezing conditions and snow.
And whilst advice to drive slowly is certainly essential, it felt much better to have dedicated tyres that saved me from spinning and sliding around car parks inundated with snow and ice.
So, these tyres definitely suit me fine, but I am a very average driver in a decidedly dull and average car.

Last edited by drykoke; 05-26-2023 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

I had these all round on my previous Japanese import E39 540i Sport and found them to be superb... Excellent over the autumn and the brief winter weeks I had it until the new owner collected it...

But for me, I'd not want to run them all year round after that experience. Found them a bit soft in the warmer times and it was like you could feel them moving sideways when pushed hard...

My preference will be dedicated summers & dedicated winters...

However I've the luxury of plenty of storage etc

But I'd highly recommend the Goodyears to anyone wanting just one set of tyres
      05-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #3
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Well timed post.

I bought a set of wheels to use for winter and have been holding out for Michelin to make some CrossClimate2's in 225/45/18 RFT. I can get the regular tyres, but I've been looking since January and they still don't have any in stock. Spoke to Michelin and they said it's still a current size/version, but they have no idea when some will be available.

Goodyear Vector 4 Gen3 RFT were my second choice and are available (last time I checked). Were you on CrossClimate2's before, or the earlier version? Did you get to try them both on snow?

I'm obviously in no rush now and can wait until later in the year to see if Michelin decide to produce any, but I'd like to get the wheels refurbed and tyres fitted, just so I know they're ready.

Cheers,
Ian.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

The Goodyears were the tyre of choice for Jon on tyrereviews.co.uk FYI

Thats why I went with them instead of the Michelins...

Exactly the same with the Goodyear Assym6 F1 for my summers over the Michelin PS5s!
      05-27-2023, 03:09 AM   #5
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

My previous tyres were Cross Climate Plus, back in 2017.
They were good enough in the snow to get me out of several sticky situations (remember Beast from the east?), when people were stuck for a few hours or had to trudge miles to get to their destination. I was lucky enough to sail through all that, as did my colleague who had winter tyres on their 730d.

The 2022 Goodyear's are just as good, if not better. I live on an ungritted road, and had no trouble with last winters snow. Currently, they seem fine in the warmer weather, although admittedly as danb1979 says, you can sense a slight softness in the steering if you push hard through a really tight bend.
Appreciate 0