F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Looking for Matte wrap - Charlotte Nc
Studio RSR

01-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Looking for Matte wrap - Charlotte Nc

I'm looking to get my mirrors & front grill wrapped in Matte black wrap to match some of my other M performance matte black parts. Anyone know of someone in Charlotte that offers that service?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Grille seems like it would be a PITA to wrap (aka $$$). A pair of new matte black kidneys shouldn't run you more than $75. I got mine for $55 shipped.

The mirrors? Plasti-Dip!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
JC35i
Rep
Drives: AW/CR 35i xdrive: MPE MPPK Fra

Regarding the grilles, I was in your position about a month ago and wasn't sure if I wanted to wrap, paint or replace them to a gloss black (I know you are looking at matte but procedure will be the same), and from my experience-

wrap: unless you are a pro or know a pro who will do it for a reasonable price, not worth it as it can be time consuming (especially if you are picky and want each slat to be wrapped) and it may come out with wrinkles due to the almost 90 degree curves on the outer portion of the grille

paint: I ended up purchasing a bottle of AutoDip (comes gloss black straight from can- do not need glossifier like plastidip) and did several coats- $30 shipped to states- pleased with results- once again not perfect but for $30, the fact that I can rip it off anytime and no need to sand or prime- well worth the investment

replace: best way if you can find a good set for cheap but for me, I wanted to see how the results of this AutoDip would be and I like it so far so saved $$$ and put it towards the MPPK and MPE

Regarding the mirrors, when I tried to DIY wrap my roof (didn't like the end results because i tried to wrap around the fin) I had some left over to wrap mirrors (ripped off as well because I ripped the roof off), but this project was not bad. Just make sure you take your time and use a heat gun.

Another option for me was, just spray them with the left over AutoDip can that I had but once again, because I did not stick with the wrapped roof, I do not care to wrap or spray the mirrors but for you, could be an option.

Just my 2 cents!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
The cost to pay someone for materials and their time to wrap grills, you are gonna spend less buying replacement grills.

As for the side mirrors, I can't help you out as I am the route of buying replacement carbon covers. Also was cheaper than paying someone to wrap I'm sure ($85 on eBay for four replacements that clip on line oem, not covers)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
gbpackersfan11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche 958

Garage List
I know this is late but do you still need a shop in charlotte?
Appreciate 0