F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding and tuning newbie questions
Studio RSR

09-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
zeitgeist340
Rep
Drives: 17 340i Xdrive

Coding and tuning newbie questions

I recently picked up a 17 340i Xdrive and plan to do a few mods. Catless downpipe, BM3 stage 2 93oct and XHP trans tune (prob stage 2) as well as a few other mild mods.

My questions are. Whats the best platform to do BM3, XHP, Bimmercode, and Bimmer link?

Can all these be done on Android or do any require a laptop?

I have an Android tablet that doesn't have cell service sim card, an Android phone Pixle 3A, and a Windows laptop.

I hope to do all tunes and changes at home but would like to be able to check codes anywhere obviously in case of a problem.

I also heard that BM3 has some trans tunes. Any word on how they compare to XHP?

Oh and last question. If these can be done via bluetooth OBDII connector what connector works well with each of the different software programs?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
zeitgeist340
Rep
Drives: 17 340i Xdrive

No one, Anyone, Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
TwerkThatBoot
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 330i, F30 LCI 320d

Hi there,

I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. Please feel free to correct me.

#1 Bootmod3 is used for tuning the performance and performance related elements of your car and ONLY those. I've recently bought BM3 and running it for a while. I have faced an issue or two with it but their customer support is brilliant and super quick to help! I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Bimmercode is used to change the other gimmicks/features on your car that are provided in similar models by BMW itself. Like auto folding mirrors on locking the car, brightening the angel eyes etc.

#2 You can use BM3 and Bimmercode with your android/iOS phone. You would however require a OBD2 bluetooth dongle which you'd have to plug into the car's port to map/code it. Make sure you get the right kind of dongle as iOS is not supported by all. It is however more preferable to map your car(BM3) with a laptop. You'd again require the dongle or an OBD2 to Ethernet cable. I don't think Bimmercode is available on the laptop though.

#3 BM3 has great customer support so it'll be fine if you do the tune from home as well! Just make sure you have a good internet connection and take all the steps necessary to start flashing. Bimmercode I believe has good support as well.

#4 BM3 only provides transmission tunes for the M cars. (if I'm not wrong) They don't provide it for the m performance ones.

#5 There are many connectors available and each software has a bunch of recommendations on their respective websites. Just hop on and figure out what works for your device at hand.

I haven't researched enough about XPH and Bimmerlink so the above information is all I'm good for.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0