F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best way to achieve better sound
proTUNING Freaks

10-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
PsyCLown
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D LCI

Best way to achieve better sound

Hey all,

So looking at getting an F30 LCI next year, however with each new model it seems it becomes more and more difficult to install the sound you want.

Majority of 320D's in South Africa come with the base sound system.
I am currently running a fully active sound setup: 15" sub installed as IB, 8" midbass drivers and 3" full range drivers in some pods. I have a MiniDSP and then amps as well to power it all. I am not interested in keeping the sound BMW provide in any of their cars.

So I have been wondering what will be the best way to achieve a decent aftermarket install, I am happy to tear the car apart a bit and modify as need be (within reason - must be easy to restore to OEM when I want to sell it).

So there are 3 options I can think of:

1. Keep the stock radio, reroute the cables from the speakers into the high-level input on the MiniDSP. However the issue with this is the fact that BMW provide EQ already - can one do some coding to change the output to be 100% flat? If so how do I go about doing it?

2. Purchase an Android headunit - could be a nice upgrade, bigger screen too I believe. You get to keep all the stock functionality which I like and you get a bit of extra functionality as well. However do any of these Android headunits for an f30 have a digital output? If not, I assume I would need to still run the speaker cables into my MiniDSP instead of to the speakers.
Is there any EQ applied to the android headunits? Will I be able to get a cleaner signal by switching to the Android headunit?

3. Bypass the stock system altogether, try modify the centre console section in the dash and try fit an aftermarket android headunit in there somehow and run digital from the aftermarket headunit to the MiniDSP. Retain the BMW sound system as stock and install my speakers.
The issue with this is that I then lose the steering wheel control functionality. Also it will probably be extremely difficult, to near impossible, to make space for an aftermarket headunit and would be rather costly. I'd likely need to have some parts fabricated (probably out of fibre glass) and then repalce the parts with OEM BMW parts when I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
PsyCLown
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D LCI

Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Tuerkay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hi,

Had the same "issue" with my f20. Basic Soundsystem was Bad.
Now installates MOST-RCA Interface, eton Stage 6 DSP, ETON B100W high+mid speaker, FOCAL IFBMW-sub.
I later upgraded in two stages.
1. Bought an ETON Stage 6 DSP with Hi/Lo- input. Rerouted the audio wires from HU to the DSP Amp.
Then VO coded HIFI audio. (FDL coding HU Soundsystem:HIFI/Amplifier:external). This way, the rerouted FL/FR/RL/RR speaker wires send an almost flat signal. Since the signals include High+Mid+Low frequencies, the DSP sometimes had sound issues with Subwoofer.

Later added step2.
Bought an MOST-to-RCA interface (trisoma MOST-RCA 3 0). Installed an MOST cable from HU to the Trunk where that interface was. Connected the output (front/rear/sub) to DSP. Hen VO coded Top-HIFI (FDL Soundsystem top-HIFI/ Amplifier: MOST).

Now I have nice, interference free sound with an equaliser
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

I’ve upgraded a couple BMW’s and it depends on the stock audio system. For my 335i E92, a pre-LCI model, I was able to replace my stock amp and re-code for standard HIFI. After the car was re-coded I was able to get regular low level output from the head unit. I upgraded the front door speakers to Morel Hybrid 402 component speakers, the underseat woofers to Jehnert XE200 8" and installed an OEM style 12” corner loaded subwoofer in the trunk.

For my X6 I did not have the option to re-code so needed a MOST interface. I choose the Helix SDMI25 and went full active with a Helix Ultra DSP. I think you would want some type of MOST interface for your MiniDSP.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25

I upgraded both front and rear door speakers, underseat and center speakers and added a subwoofer in the rear storage space. The DSP Ultra has new processing that allows a 2-seat tune using “Real Center” and the listening experience is equal for both the driver and passenger. I also have the ability to toggle between a driver seat tune when I am in the car alone.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...21&postcount=1

Both my systems enable me to easily return to stock as all speakers use stock locations and the subs are easy to remove and leave no trace they were ever there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
slidez24
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP

I just did a full audio upgrade on my 2018 BMW with the Top HiFi. It was really difficult but before I share details, I will say that it can be done. All of the speakers were replaced and two amps were added, bypassing the OEM amplifier that still remains to communicate with the head unit. The audio wiring was re-routed.

Equipment

JL Audio C3-525s (2 sets for the doors)
JL Audio XR400s (Rear deck lids)
Earthquake 8"s (under seats)
JL Audio 10W3v3 (trunk)
JL Audio XD800/8v2 (power everything except the subwoofer in the trunk)
JL Audio XD600/1v2 (trunk subwoofer)
AudioControl LC8i

I hope this helps someone who is considering this type of project. And yes, I should have used black carpet in the trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1