F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 M-Performance Aero Front Lip/Splitter Install
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #89
MPodlesnik
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F31 Touring xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand View Post
I used the adhesives that came with the packaging that connects the inner mount to the splitter. There is noticeable bowing where the adhesive is not sticking to the splitter. Will some 3M and adhesive promoter address this issue as well?
did anyone solve this problem? how? i have the same problem.

thx
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #90
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

In my experience I found that adhesive type (even the best 3M ) wont help much.
The only solution to have a permanent fixing is via screws which will prevent the flexing, twisting and falling of the splitter.

The OE splitter comes with additional holes and in my opinion they should all be used should you want a quality and sturdy fitting that doesn't flex nor comes off.

My splitter has been on for a good few miles, I had it up at speeds of 140mph and the thing is dead solid.
Its all in the installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #91
Dc2rCl7r
Rep
Drives: BMW3

Amazing post, this is more beyond DIY, more professional than most! Thank you~
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #92
Evo7mc
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320i m sport

Just bought a genuine splitter from bmw and I’m not sure if they have changed the official fitting instructions but I noticed that there is now pre installed 3m tape on the part of the splitter that is normally advised to beta link, I was going to install this using beta link but maybe even bmw have decided that 3m tape is better.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #93
havenzhiv
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

I installed the splitter only. It's CF. 3M double sided tape and reused the clips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #94
Cobra Kai
Rep
Drives: 16 340i || 06 Audi A4 S-Line

Just adding another thumbs up to the instructions here. My only problem is that it's REALLY low in the front and scrapes coming in and out of the driveway! :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #95
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

squidlyboy Hey dude, the pictures of your original post are not working anymore and seem to have been removed. Can we get the pictures put back up? I was wanting to install mine this weekend.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #96
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySmoooth View Post
squidlyboy Hey dude, the pictures of your original post are not working anymore and seem to have been removed. Can we get the pictures put back up? I was wanting to install mine this weekend.

Thanks!
Pictures work fine on my iPhone using latest Chrome browser. What browser are you using?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #97
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

I am using Chrome, on both my Android and PC but it will not load any images.

If I use a different browser it will work. I tried clearing all data, uninstalling, everything and still cant get Chrome to work with this page. arggh... I guess ill use the stock browser. F U Chrome.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #98
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

I did this install couple of days ago and wanted to add a few tips for people who might be reading this thread in the future and following the DIY:

-The double-sided tape that comes with the lip is absolute garbage, I would highly recommend buying legit 3M tape to replace the one that comes installed on the lip (there are pieces on the inner structure lip and 2 strips on the fangs of the outer structure).

-Use Adhesive promoter to join the inner structure and outer structure of the lip for better adhesion. I used adhesive promoter and still had tape come loose even after giving it 24 hours to cure before installing the lip. This could've been solved if I used 3M tape instead of just using the pre-installed tape on the inner structure.

-A lot of people in the thread had Bowing after installing the lip, I used painters tape to wrap around the lip after being installed and let it sit in the hot sun for a few days before removing it. The inner structure needs a few days to both adhere to the outer lip structure, and also for the plastic to get its shape. If you dont use painters tape to wrap around the lip, you risk introducing bowing from the pressure of lip being secured into place.

Last edited by toxik; 08-10-2022 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0