F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Nbt Evo with NBT screen trying to upgrade to apix2 help
Extreme Powerhouse

09-08-2023, 10:29 AM   #1
Vonvendetta
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i

Nbt Evo with NBT screen trying to upgrade to apix2 help

Bought a Evo aftermarket Android screen and getting no signal.

Have a 2016 f36 with a NBT Evo unit but think it's using a nbt apix1 screen.

The plug on the back of the headunit shows apix2 but looking up the screen, it looks like an NBT screen.

Is the headunit outputting apix1 and if so, can I program it to output apix2? Its this likely the issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

your headunit is outputting APIX2 but the screen is an APIX1 screen, I'm pretty sure you can get a voltage converter to make an APIX2 headunit work with an APIX1 screen, or you can buy an APIX2 screen and sell yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #3
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
your headunit is outputting APIX2 but the screen is an APIX1 screen, I'm pretty sure you can get a voltage converter to make an APIX2 headunit work with an APIX1 screen, or you can buy an APIX2 screen and sell yours.
The new Android screen I bought is apix2 I believe. Just wasn't sure how to program the headunit to output apix2 or if that is even a thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acar.soner@gmail.com View Post
The new Android screen I bought is apix2 I believe. Just wasn't sure how to program the headunit to output apix2 or if that is even a thing.
your headunit is APIX2, why do you think its not?

its your screen thats APIX1.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
your headunit is APIX2, why do you think its not?

its your screen thats APIX1.
I was thinking that the headunit was programmed to output apix1 even thought it's an apix2 headunit. The new screen I bought is apix2 and getting not signal. Thought that maybe it was because the headunit was programmed for the OEM apix1 screen. If that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #6
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonvendetta View Post
I was thinking that the headunit was programmed to output apix1 even thought it's an apix2 headunit. The new screen I bought is apix2 and getting not signal. Thought that maybe it was because the headunit was programmed for the OEM apix1 screen. If that makes sense.
you have no output because the screen is APIX1, you cant program a headunit to output APIX1 if its APIX2, that's not possible. it outputs at a completely different voltage, that's a hardware limitation not software, you can't program to change voltage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #7
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
you have no output because the screen is APIX1, you cant program a headunit to output APIX1 if its APIX2, that's not possible. it outputs at a completely different voltage, that's a hardware limitation not software, you can't program to change voltage.
Makes sense. I think some of the confusion was how I worded it. The OEM screen, which is the one posted in op is apix1(from what I can tell) is actually working just fine. It works and no issues., Looks like they mixed them in the 2016 models. The new screen I bought is an aftermarket apix2 screen. The new one shows no signal.

Below is what I found referencing that Evo Hu are backwards compatible but not much more than that.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...d%20to%20APIX2

Last edited by Vonvendetta; 09-08-2023 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense. I think some of the confusion was how I worded it. The OEM screen, which is the one posted in op is apix1(from what I can tell) is actually working just fine. It works and no issues., Looks like they mixed them in the 2016 models. The new screen I bought is an aftermarket apix2 screen. The new one shows no signal.
i understand, your cable that connects definitely doesnt have a voltage converter on it? if you already had a voltage converter to make a NBT EVO headunit work with a APIX1 screen, then yes there is a line in coding that tells the headunit to output to APIX1. But it wouldn't work just with coding, it would also need the voltage converter.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:13 PM   #9
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
i understand, your cable that connects definitely doesnt have a voltage converter on it? if you already had a voltage converter to make a NBT EVO headunit work with a APIX1 screen, then yes there is a line in coding that tells the headunit to output to APIX1. But it wouldn't work just with coding, it would also need the voltage converter.
It currently doesn't have a converter on it. Let me dig some more, wonder if the first gen apix2 units spit out different voltage than 2017 models.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #10
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
It didn't have a converter, but when checking in bimmercode, it was set to apix1. Switched that to apix2 but that didn't do anything. Guessing some programming should fix that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It didn't have a converter, but when checking in bimmercode, it was set to apix1. Switched that to apix2 but that didn't do anything. Guessing some programming should fix that.
it's very strange because your headunit should by all means be APIX2, maybe someone else can chime in. i have good knowledge about screens, but with headunits im a little less knowledgeable, my car came with a NBT EVO APIX2 headunit so I never did any research since there's nothing to upgrade it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #12
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

You can code the NBT Evo unit to use APIX1 but only if it's running an older software version. I think Evo N and earlier can do it but it was removed on subsequent versions.

As mentioned though you do still need the voltage converter in place too. But as long as you get one of those and you have N or earlier you can code it to work. You need to change a few other variables, not just the APIX mode. For an APIX1 screen:

CID_APIX_MODE = APIX1
CID_COLOR DEPTH = 18
CID_COM_MODE = SPI

For an APIX2 screen:

CID_APIX_MODE = APIX2
CID_COLOR DEPTH = 24
CID_COM_MODE = MII
Appreciate 1
toxik2418.50
      09-09-2023, 09:35 AM   #13
Vonvendetta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
You can code the NBT Evo unit to use APIX1 but only if it's running an older software version. I think Evo N and earlier can do it but it was removed on subsequent versions.

As mentioned though you do still need the voltage converter in place too. But as long as you get one of those and you have N or earlier you can code it to work. You need to change a few other variables, not just the APIX mode. For an APIX1 screen:

CID_APIX_MODE = APIX1
CID_COLOR DEPTH = 18
CID_COM_MODE = SPI

For an APIX2 screen:

CID_APIX_MODE = APIX2
CID_COLOR DEPTH = 24
CID_COM_MODE = MII
This was it!! Changing it to MII was the missing link!
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #14
G20J35
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
This was it!! Changing it to MII was the missing link!
Thanks again.
Was a voltage regulator required for yours? I had the NO SIGNAL displayed after fitting what I thought was a like for like 8.8 screen to NBT EVO ID4, HU 2.3, changed coding to APIX 2 and now it works.

I sometimes get the NO SIGNAL displayed but a HU reset brings the screen back to life..
Appreciate 0