F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Lane Departure Warning / Speed Limit Info
GetBMWParts

02-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #23
Zulbat
Rep
Drives: F20 120D

Shawn: Have you had any luck finding anyone selling the fsc code needed for ldw and fcw?

I read a few months ago something you wrote about the fsc code was impossible to buy is this still the case and if so do you think code may ever be available for Kafas2?

I know BMW oficially released code to retrofit "SLI" in some countries including most part of EU could something similar be available for "LDW"?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
It seems you did not understand what I wrote:

If one has only HBA and no SLI or LDW, then they have FLA ECU and not KAFAS, and it cannot be coded for SLI and / or LDW.

If one has KAFAS ECU, it should be capable of being coded to do SLI, LDW, and or HBA; however, SLI also requires a 7E FSC Enabling Code before it can work, and LDW will work, however it will not vibrate the steering wheel unless the Vibrator is retrofitted in the Steering Wheel. The Triangles on the Side Mirrors are for 5AG Active Blind Spot Detection and have nothing to do with LDW.

You have KAFAS ECU which is one single ECU that is capable of SLI, LDW, and HBA. It may have multiple cameras or lenses, but it is a single ECU. To add LDW, you do not need an FSC Code. The FSC Code is needed for SLI only. You should be able to add 5AD to your VO and VO Code Kombi and KAFAS for LDW to work (without vibration of course).

Ok so I have edited the VO and added 5AD See attached

I then I did the following for KOMBI and for KAFAS2:

Quote:
VO Code:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Is there somewhere you turn LDW on in the NBT or KOMBI reason I am asking is I took a test drive on the highway and let the car stray off the lanes and no warning appeared on the kombi or HUD.

Just trying to find out if I should be setting something else?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #25
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post

Is there somewhere you turn LDW on in the NBT or KOMBI reason I am asking is I took a test drive on the highway and let the car stray off the lanes and no warning appeared on the kombi or HUD.

I have factory LDW and have never had any lane departure indication other than steering wheel vibration. There are indications in the cluster when it is on and active (are you seeing these?), but no visual or audible warning is issued.

Maybe THAT is the coding you are looking for, but just wanted to give you a heads up that vibration may be the ONLY warning given, so with no vibration this may be useless.

Assuming you can get a warning, note that you would also need to code KAFAS2 -> 3020 -> ROAD_EDGE_WARNING_ENABLED to detect the edges of roads that aren't marked by lines, like grass or curbs. Don't know why this is off by default (in US at least).

02-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #26
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:

I then I did the following for KOMBI and for KAFAS2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
I have factory LDW and have never had any lane departure indication other than steering wheel vibration. There are indications in the cluster when it is on and active (are you seeing these?), but no visual or audible warning is issued.

Maybe THAT is the coding you are looking for, but just wanted to give you a heads up that vibration may be the ONLY warning given, so with no vibration this may be useless.

Assuming you can get a warning, note that you would also need to code KAFAS2 -> 3020 -> ROAD_EDGE_WARNING_ENABLED to detect the edges of roads that aren't marked by lines, like grass or curbs. Don't know why this is off by default (in US at least).

Good point. I forgot to mention that by defaut, LDW is turned off, and your car besides not having the Vibrator also does not have the Dash switch to toggle LDW ON and OFF, so after VO Coding, you need to FDL Code LDW ON by default as follows:

KAFAS => ANZEIGEVARIANTE = anz_var_04

This should allow for the LDW display in Kombi to work.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-11-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I forgot to mention that by defaut, LDW is turned off, and your car besides not having the Vibrator also does not have the Dash switch to toggle LDW ON and OFF, so after VO Coding, you need to FDL Code LDW ON by default as follows:

KAFAS => ANZEIGEVARIANTE = anz_var_04

This should allow for the LDW display in Kombi to work.
Will code and revert tomorrow after testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good luck.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Shaun. I read somewhere the warning comes up on the HUD as well I will have to find it in coding.

On a different note alot of references to pedestrian warning system and collision warning system I.e. A car in front of you and you going to fast. Does that use these cameras or different system all together?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #30
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@shawnsheridan
@Fenster

Sigh why did I get my hands on this coding tool, I am gluded to my screen and car now!

So I found this and I am assuming since they use the same ECU provided they don't rely on side cameras (used for top view etc) and use the SLI or HBA cameras we could get it working to?

Collision warning The collision warning for equipment without ACC is an integral part of the lane departure warning sys- tem (option 5AD) and warns the driver of a possible risk of collision. The collision warning is realized with help of the KAFAS system.

Interesting as the collision warning system uses the front cameras as well:
05_F30 Driver Assistance Systems.pdf

@shawnsheridan - do you know which VO Option I need to add and the same option to keep it on (as I don't have the toggle switch)

@Fenster don't smack me over the head we might be onto something here, buy SLI and get all the other options for free
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #31
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@shawnsheridan

Looks like I answered my own question Collision warning is part of 5AD, now its finding the option to turn it on
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #32
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@shawnsheridan

Interesting went into KAFAS2 ECU searched for and manually looked for KAFAS => ANZEIGEVARIANTE = anz_var_04 and could not find it in KAFAS2 ECU nor in KOMBI.

Is it suppose to be there or some other setting>

Also tried to search for anz_var - nothing

@fenster the road curb was already on prob for my country.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #33
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As I find things I am going to post:

So you can turn off vibration for steering wheel: Module - KAFAS2
3030 TLC_WARNING_PARAMETERS, 81
ACTUATOR_ON_OFF

Still cant find the elusive Always on switch,
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #34
Zulbat
Rep

Nice find but without the correct hardware you will not feel any vibration.

Shawnsheridan: Do you have any news regarding if its possible to buy the fsc/ibac code to enable FCW or LDW or booth?
Internally BMW must have different codes for each of the subsystems right?

MyFastM3: have you had any luck finding the code to turn off FCW part of the system, normally you can only reduce the intervention not turn it completly off with only the button.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #35
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have been trawling the code for hours trying to find that flag Shaun said I should turn on in the absence of a hardware button.

Everything seems set I just need to get the thing turned ON

What do you mean by FCW ? Pedestrian cam?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #36
Zulbat
Rep

FCW = frontal crash warning
Like you said if you factory order LDW you also get the subsystem Frontal Crash Warning but standard they come with different button on the dash.

However standard the FCW can not be turned off with the button like I wrote. In case my next used bmw happen to have this system I would like to know if its possible to code this feature out since I do not like the car to tell me if it thinks Im about to crash.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #37
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't seen a reference to fdw in the code but I haven't been looking, I do want to turn it on. I can't get ldw to activate. I don't get the visual indication in the kombi both that's it active. I am trying to figure out where in the code it is. Also I have seen screen shots of a collision detection option in the hu_nbt I can't find reference to that in the hu_nbt module to enable that. Maybe @fenster can confirm if he has that option in his nbt?

I am sure we can crack this nut
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #38
Zulbat
Rep

I hope you suceed only that I hope that if we learn to turn it on we learn to turn it off in the process :-)

One more tip don't forget to check the dsc module. Since the system is supposed to pretension the brakes in an imminent crash is detected its very likely one or two strings of code is changed in the dsc module.

Also we still have not cracked if the option LCW "Lane Change Warning" is part of the system or if you get addition hardware with that option somehow required for LDW "Lane Departure Warning" or FCW "Frontal Collision Warning".
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #39
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you have HBA and SLI, you on a good standing see Shauns earlier post. These two systems provide one with the correct ECU and camera type for LDW to work as we know LDW is based on the higher HBA or SlI camera. If you read the literature FCW is based on the system LDW uses.

The key with all the tinkering I have been doing sees to be two things. I got the collision warning menu now in the hu_nbt but with that coding and a few other things I have a pedestrian. Warning and a camera subsystem warning error for the HBA. Need to figure that out.

In addition I can't find the always on code for LDW that Shaun referred to I am 90% sure that's why LDW isn't working.

Shaun is there a VO code foe FCW or is it part of the 5AD?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good luck.
@shawnsheridan what does "PIA" mean, in some options I researched that the setting should be default_on, I have default_off and PIA_on.

Not sure what PIA means as I see it often in coding
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #41
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very interesting after VO coding everything I now get:

And Pedestrian Warning System error..

:confus ed2
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #42
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
I haven't seen a reference to fdw in the code but I haven't been looking, I do want to turn it on. I can't get ldw to activate. I don't get the visual indication in the kombi both that's it active. I am trying to figure out where in the code it is. Also I have seen screen shots of a collision detection option in the hu_nbt I can't find reference to that in the hu_nbt module to enable that. Maybe @fenster can confirm if he has that option in his nbt?

I am sure we can crack this nut
Not sure what option you are referring to, but will be glad to check if you can be more specific. There is a screen under settings to set FCW to Early, Medium, or Oh S**T , if that's what you're referring to. In any case, you have my HU_NBT CAFD file.

On the LDW warning in KOMBI/HUD, I double/triple checked and the ONLY warning I get is the vibration. Kombi just continues to show it's on (parallel lines) and tracking (arrows), but nothing else when I leave my lane. HUD shows nothing, in spite of manuals/videos to the contrary. On an academic level I hope you find something that affects the displays (because I share your curiosity about these things), but I would never use it because LDW is just always on, and I don't need any more than the arrows to tell me it's tracking and the vibration to tell me I'm screwing up (or getting a little too "spirited").
      02-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #43
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulbat View Post
Shawn: Have you had any luck finding anyone selling the fsc code needed for ldw and fcw?

I read a few months ago something you wrote about the fsc code was impossible to buy is this still the case and if so do you think code may ever be available for Kafas2?

I know BMW oficially released code to retrofit "SLI" in some countries including most part of EU could something similar be available for "LDW"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulbat View Post
Shawnsheridan: Do you have any news regarding if its possible to buy the fsc/ibac code to enable FCW or LDW or booth?
Internally BMW must have different codes for each of the subsystems right?
As far as I know LDW does not require an FSC Code. New KAFAS contain 3 FSC Codes. 7E I know is SLI, but the BE and BF are just educated guesses at the moment, that I still need to confirm:

AppID 126 (7E) - Speed Limit Information (SLI) (S8THA)
AppID 190 (BE) - DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS (S5ATA) aka Front Collision Warning (FCW)
AppID 191 (BF) - Active cruise control+Stop&Go function (S5DFA)

I don't have a source for for these FSC Codes.

Quote:
@Fenster don't smack me over the head we might be onto something here, buy SLI and get all the other options for free
I think at best you can get HBA and basic LDW. Anymore likely requires the BE and or BF FSC Enabling Codes

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-13-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@shawnsheridan
So I found this and I am assuming since they use the same ECU provided they don't rely on side cameras (used for top view etc) and use the SLI or HBA cameras we could get it working to?

Collision warning The collision warning for equipment without ACC is an integral part of the lane departure warning sys- tem (option 5AD) and warns the driver of a possible risk of collision. The collision warning is realized with help of the KAFAS system.

Interesting as the collision warning system uses the front cameras as well:
05_F30 Driver Assistance Systems.pdf

@shawnsheridan - do you know which VO Option I need to add and the same option to keep it on (as I don't have the toggle switch)
Quote:
@shawnsheridan

Looks like I answered my own question Collision warning is part of 5AD, now its finding the option to turn it on
Quote:
Shaun is there a VO code foe FCW or is it part of the 5AD?
As I previously wrote, and this document confirms, the KAFAS camera / ECU is used for SLI, LDW, and HBA, unless car has HBA only, in which case it gets cheaper FLA Camera / ECU. The new FCW is also part of KAFAS, so the TRSVC (side and top view cameras) have nothing to do with any of these options.

Here are the relevant option codes involving KAFAS:

5AC High-beam assistant
5AD Lane departure warning
5AS DRIVING ASSISTANT
5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS
8TH SPEED LIMIT INFO

5AS is 5AD Lane Departure Warning w/ Collision Warning
5AT is 5AS with added 5DF Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function and in some cases the new 5AR Traffic Jam Assistant function.

According to the document, LDW supposedly also includes basic Collision Warning Without Braking, If this is correct, it is something new as LDW originally did not have this capability, It also a source of confusion for me as when we talk of FCW (Forward Collision Warning), it is not clear if it is 5AD or 5AS or both.

In any event, you will not find a VO Code to set LDW on by default, so you will have to find the FDL Code. The ANZEIGEVARIANTE FDL Code is what it is in first generation KAFAS ECU, but with KAFAS2, it must be something else:

Name:  ANZEIGEVARIANTE.png
Views: 7584
Size:  13.5 KB

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-13-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0