F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Engine light --> coolant temp sensor??
Extreme Powerhouse

09-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Phamous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Engine light --> coolant temp sensor??

Hey everyone,

So I'm having a little issue with my 2013 328i xDrive and my mechanic can't really seem to pinpoint whats going on.
So around 3 months ago my engine check light went on and I brought it into my mechanic and he said it was an issue related to cruise control but doesn't know exactly what's wrong but I should be able to drive it still.
I finally brought it back in yesterday and after scanning it with his computer, there was an issue with the coolant temp sensor. The thing is he said there isn't anything wrong with my car though, the gauge inside is showing low temps when the car is off and isn't getting high at all when my car is running, so everything is working as it should he said. So he thinks there might be a glitch or something with the check engine light switching on all the time because he can't really pinpoint an issue with my car.
Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can help guide me in the right direction? My car's engine is completely stock.

thanks
      10-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Perhaps you need a second opinion from another shop?

https://www.bimrs.org

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      10-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
humbertob
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phamous View Post
Hey everyone,

So I'm having a little issue with my 2013 328i xDrive and my mechanic can't really seem to pinpoint whats going on.
So around 3 months ago my engine check light went on and I brought it into my mechanic and he said it was an issue related to cruise control but doesn't know exactly what's wrong but I should be able to drive it still.
I finally brought it back in yesterday and after scanning it with his computer, there was an issue with the coolant temp sensor. The thing is he said there isn't anything wrong with my car though, the gauge inside is showing low temps when the car is off and isn't getting high at all when my car is running, so everything is working as it should he said. So he thinks there might be a glitch or something with the check engine light switching on all the time because he can't really pinpoint an issue with my car.
Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can help guide me in the right direction? My car's engine is completely stock.

thanks
You need to ask your mechanic the codes that the car is throwing so we can help you further !
'15 F30 335i M-Sport | Son's
'10 Porsche Boxster
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

The coolant sensor can throw a "DTC" and light the CEL...electronic engine management systems use engine coolant temp to optimize fuel mixture (an electronic choke for cold starts richens fuel mixture) if the temp sensor fails then mixture could remain rich even after engine warms up...so you want a CEL to warn of that issue since it increases air pollution and decreases mpg...
Some systems have two elements in the coolant sensor or even two senors...one drives the temp indicator and/or warning lights for overheating...the other signals the engine computer....in that case you can have a "coolant temp sensor failure" trouble code...and still have normal indication of engine temp...so if the diagnostic registered "coolant temp or cooling system code" then there's a good basis for changing the sensor. Audi/VW had an ongoing issue with sensor failures so it's not a component that lives forever...I've changed my share!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
checkone
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob View Post
You need to ask your mechanic the codes that the car is throwing so we can help you further !
Hi, I have the same problem just happened to my 328X Drive 2013.

The CEL is ON. So I plugged my OBDII and the code is P0597. It's Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Open.

So I decided to drive the car with the OBDII displaying live data to check the ECT temperature.

I drove around for 30 min on highway and the ECT display the temperature not more then 100 deg C (212 deg F). When I cold start the car, it takes around 10 min to reach 90 deg C (194 deg F) in the OBDII.

After exiting highway, the ECT drop to 90 deg C (194 deg F) about 30s-1min in the OBDII.

But I noticed that the gauge in the dashboard seems not following what I read in the OBDII display. When it show 90 deg C (194 deg F) in OBDII, the gauge at the dashboard stay at 70 deg C (100 deg F) and it will only start moving up after 5 min when it reached in the OBDII.

I cleared the fault but CEL comes up again after 1 day.

Any advise for me before I start changing parts that I should not?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkone View Post
But I noticed that the gauge in the dashboard seems not following what I read in the OBDII display. When it show 90 deg C (194 deg F) in OBDII, the gauge at the dashboard stay at 70 deg C (100 deg F) and it will only start moving up after 5 min when it reached in the OBDII
Do note the dash gauge is oil temp not coolant temp, hence the difference in OBDII coolant temp reading versus dash gauge reading.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
switchman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkone View Post
Hi, I have the same problem just happened to my 328X Drive 2013.

The CEL is ON. So I plugged my OBDII and the code is P0597. It's Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Open.

So I decided to drive the car with the OBDII displaying live data to check the ECT temperature.

I drove around for 30 min on highway and the ECT display the temperature not more then 100 deg C (212 deg F). When I cold start the car, it takes around 10 min to reach 90 deg C (194 deg F) in the OBDII.

After exiting highway, the ECT drop to 90 deg C (194 deg F) about 30s-1min in the OBDII.

But I noticed that the gauge in the dashboard seems not following what I read in the OBDII display. When it show 90 deg C (194 deg F) in OBDII, the gauge at the dashboard stay at 70 deg C (100 deg F) and it will only start moving up after 5 min when it reached in the OBDII.

I cleared the fault but CEL comes up again after 1 day.

Any advise for me before I start changing parts that I should not?

I had same problem earlier this year, P0597 is thermostat issue. BMW covered the repairs (out of warranty), also read others having same problem and repaired under good faith. Appears to be a known problem.

Last edited by switchman; 12-29-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0