F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine still stops despite ASS disabled
GetBMWParts

06-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
boogybren
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36

Engine still stops despite ASS disabled

I’ve got a 2015 F36 and despite having ASS turned off and being in Sport + mode, the engine will sometimes turn off when put in park or neutral. It doesn’t happen every time.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any remedies?

As of right now, I am coded to remember last setting so since it’s turned off, it remains off.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
slof30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Have you tried hard coding it off with bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
boogybren
United_States
Rep

Yes I have and strangely, I got the opposite behavior where ASS was always on so I would have to manually turn it off every time I started the car. So I turned the feature back off.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Since ASS only turns the engine off when it's in Drive it may not be the problem. You need to look for fault codes with an OBD diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
boogybren
United_States
Rep

Zero fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you sure you're interpreting the light correctly? If the light is ON, that means ASS is OFF. If the light is OFF that means ASS is ON. You want the light to be on at all times.

The only reason I ask is because you said you hard-coded it off but it turns on every time you start the car. I think you're just misinterpreting what the light means by the ignition button.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

does your engine shut off to "Ready" or "off" state ? It's on your tachometer, if it drops to ready then it is ASS related, if it goes off, then it's something else.
      06-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
boogybren
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
If the light is ON, that means ASS is OFF. If the light is OFF that means ASS is ON. You want the light to be on at all times.
Not on my car apparently.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

It is, the reason u see that sign when the light is off, it's because the engine hasn't warmed up yet properly. ASS only works after the engine is at operating temperature

Light on the button HAS to be ON for ASS to be disabled
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogybren View Post
Not on my car apparently.

The reason that symbol appears next to the gear indicator is to tell you that auto start stop is temporarily disabled for some reason or another.

When the light is on by the auto start stop button, it is disabled - as others have said.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Well I went to look at mine...

And I cannot turn it on...I turned it off years ago, just tried it, light over start button will NOT turn off. Engine is at operating temp.

I mean, I won’t spend a nickel to fix it...but mine doesn’t work right either.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
boogybren
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
It is, the reason u see that sign when the light is off, it's because the engine hasn't warmed up yet properly. ASS only works after the engine is at operating temperature

Light on the button HAS to be ON for ASS to be disabled
If that is true, I must have something else wrong with ASS as I leave ASS engaged (light off) but still have the ASS disabled message in my instrument cluster regardless of how warm the car is or how long I’ve driven it.

Because ASS didn’t work I’ve always thought that the light off meant ASS was off. It makes sense now that sometimes when I put it in park or neutral, it decides to shut off the motor.

I’m not sure I’m going to burn any time or money trying to fix it unless there’s and issue where I actually have it disabled.

This is BMW number 6 for me but the first with ASS. I guess I’ll just run it with the light on and see if it gives me any grief.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #13
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

I haven't coded anything, but the ASS in my car turns on about once a week. As soon as it does its thing I just press the button again (light turns on = off - for me) and ignore it for a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
If that is true, I must have something else wrong with ASS as I leave ASS engaged (light off) but still have the ASS disabled message in my instrument cluster regardless of how warm the car is or how long I’ve driven it.

Because ASS didn’t work I’ve always thought that the light off meant ASS was off. It makes sense now that sometimes when I put it in park or neutral, it decides to shut off the motor.

I’m not sure I’m going to burn any time or money trying to fix it unless there’s and issue where I actually have it disabled.

This is BMW number 6 for me but the first with ASS. I guess I’ll just run it with the light on and see if it gives me any grief.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in!
Your battery might just not be able to hold a charge very well. ASS monitors a bunch of things and either the battery or some component might not be in great condition which is preventing your car from going into ASS mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
boogybren
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your battery might just not be able to hold a charge very well. ASS monitors a bunch of things and either the battery or some component might not be in great condition which is preventing your car from going into ASS mode.
That is certainly plausible. I haven't seen any indication that my battery isn't up to snuff but I should probably get it tested to verify for certain.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Even if the the battery is OK don't other factors like A/C usage and other things causing electrical load on the car override ASS?

ASS is always off in my car, but the few times I've played with it in the summer I noticed the engine would start on it's own if I was stopped and the A/C needed to come on due to the car interior getting too hot.
      06-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #17
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
That is certainly plausible. I haven't seen any indication that my battery isn't up to snuff but I should probably get it tested to verify for certain.
ASS will also not turn off the motor if your steering wheel is turned beyond a certain angle - this is done because the assumption is you're about to make a turn and therefore the time taken to restart the motor and then make the turn could result in a dangerous situation.

As others have mentioned, there are several scenarios under which ASS will not turn off the motor; including battery state, HVAC requirements etc.
Appreciate 0