F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What do you dislike about the 340i?
Studio RSR

01-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #89
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

It for the time being can be coded out with FDL coding.

Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_CLUTCH: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv
Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_BRAKE: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv

Given that those flags don't say 'rev' I fear that the fact that that works is a bug that they may patch. Let's hope not. So you have to hold the brake to start now, and yes you still do have to disengage the clutch. It's weird, but we'll take it.

It is also disabled in DSC off mode (hold traction button down for 5 seconds). But street driving without DSC every day is not the best idea. And it uses the comfort throttle map so you can modulate best on track. But the fake sport throttle map is a lot better to blip with around town.

So the coding is best and it's gives a much better driving experience. There should be a novice/normal mode in idrive but there isn't.

There's a post out there about TCM_STARTLOCK_DRIVINGREADINESS doing the trick, but I tried that and it didn't do anything besides throw a bunch of codes about auto start stop malfunction ... I wonder what that flag is, maybe I did it wrong..

I haven't found a way to disable the hill holder yet
Appreciate 1
Rob340i87.00
      01-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #90
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Are you referencing the rev matching feature? If you blip the throttle at all in the process of downshifting the car will not rev match.
Appreciate 1
Rob340i87.00
      01-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #91
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Well i have about 2 weeks till i recieve my car! Can’t wait to feel the difference from my current car 2000 323i rwd 5speed. I think it will be night and day lol. Probably will keep my e46 as a beater car its still going strong with 200k miles!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #92
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Here's the "dislike":

There's a set of roads that my partner and I take to get to a coffee shop we like. The roads are skinny, curvy, and hilly (in a spot or two) strips of currently-in-good-shape asphalt. Everyone who drives on the little roads does so quickly, even some that should not (we have seen what happens to Tercels, ancient Civics with fart-can mufflers, and a very broken older Buick when they go too fast on these roads). I take them fast but slow down some when I'm not in the car alone. My 340 takes me around the bends safely and briskly.

Last week it was very nice out, no rain and temps in the 40's. I had the car in Sport+ and went about 20 mph through some curves faster than I usually do with I'm not alone. This wasn't risky, I know my car and the roads well. When we got out of the fun part of the drive, I apologized for driving so fast (he's not into driving at a brisk pace), mostly as a joke.

His response was that he didn't notice us going faster at all. That's what's both right and wrong with the 340. Engine at decently high revs and curves taken at significant speed...and it was such a smooth, easy run that my passenger didn't notice. I love that about this car. And I kind of hate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #93
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Here's the "dislike":

Last week it was very nice out, no rain and temps in the 40's. I had the car in Sport+ and went about 20 mph through some curves faster than I usually do with I'm not alone. This wasn't risky, I know my car and the roads well. When we got out of the fun part of the drive, I apologized for driving so fast (he's not into driving at a brisk pace), mostly as a joke.

His response was that he didn't notice us going faster at all. That's what's both right and wrong with the 340. Engine at decently high revs and curves taken at significant speed...and it was such a smooth, easy run that my passenger didn't notice. I love that about this car. And I kind of hate it.
That’s exactly what I like about my 340ix as well. It’s pretty effortless especially now with the LCI suspension. It likes to be pushed. It handles BETTER when you hustle the car. I guess it’s the combination of the RWD biased xDrive system, eLSD and improved LCI suspension. I don’t track the car but will go 15 to 20 MPH faster than most cars on curved roads and it’s very planted.

I will qualify these statements by stating that I come from a background of FWD cars including a 2012 TSX Sport Wagon and a 2004 Acura TL. Those cars actually weren’t bad handlers as Honda does tune them slightly on the sporty side but ultimately they understeer near the limit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #94
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Msport

The fact that I don't have one.
      01-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #95
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

The fact that I bought a 6 speed and now wish I had automatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #96
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Really you must live in the city or sit in traffic a lot. I hate 6sp in those situations but for the other 90% i love it and would not live with out it! Can you please elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #97
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob340i View Post
Really you must live in the city or sit in traffic a lot. I hate 6sp in those situations but for the other 90% i love it and would not live with out it! Can you please elaborate?
I'm in inner city and my commute can often be crawling along in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway. Absolutely love the 6MT, even in these situations. In fact, I like it more because it is constantly reminding me what a pleasure the gearbox is to operate vs. just cruising along at 80. That's just me though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #98
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head,I live in NYC and for a DD its sometimes hectic. Been daily driving Automatics for the past 9 years thought Id like a 6 speed as a daily guess I got spoiled. The way they make these autos now after driving a pdk porsche 911 turbo and porsche Carrara 4,,a GTR,and an AMG seems like auto matic or semi automatic is the way to go.Not to mention 2 Volvo T6s. I thought I'd miss my 99, 5 spd E36 M3 but I dont.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #99
pmaguran
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Feels like there should be driving mode selectors on the steering wheel. I don't like having to reach for the center console.

Also, cup holders too small for my yeti.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:45 AM   #100
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Ban
Appreciate 3
JRocker3346.00
ali820271.50
Aberle74.00
      01-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #101
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Ban
wait till you turn 51 years old. Manual cars in the US are becoming a thing of the past my friend! Something MB knew a long time ago .Ask BMW.

Last edited by ceedawg; 01-07-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #102
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ban
wait till you turn 51 years old. Manual cars in the US are becoming a thing of the past my friend! Something MB knew a long time ago .Ask BMW.
not dead yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ali820271.50
nozydog465.00
Aberle74.00
      01-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #103
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not dead yet.
I want that shirt!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #104
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Here's the "dislike":

There's a set of roads that my partner and I take to get to a coffee shop we like. The roads are skinny, curvy, and hilly (in a spot or two) strips of currently-in-good-shape asphalt. Everyone who drives on the little roads does so quickly, even some that should not (we have seen what happens to Tercels, ancient Civics with fart-can mufflers, and a very broken older Buick when they go too fast on these roads). I take them fast but slow down some when I'm not in the car alone. My 340 takes me around the bends safely and briskly.

Reminds me of the first time I drove my 335i up to Sedona, which is a drive we'd always done in our X5. There's some mountain areas which can get a little exciting in the X5 which I was eager to experience in the F30. After the drive in the F30 I said to myself, "Well that was boring."
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:53 AM   #105
skifaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi A4

I've read this thread with interest as I am potentially ordering a 340i xDrive manual trans soon. It's between that and the Audi S4.

Here's what Ive noticed so far.

1. In my test drives I've found the rev match is an interesting feature but I trip it up a lot. I have a habit of jogging the shifter left and right (between the 3-4 and 1-2 positions) when Im coasting in neutral. I get unexpected throttle blip every time I pull down out of 3rd gear and then left to the 1-2 slot without necessarily intending to take 2nd. It's kind of a "nervous twitch" habit I've had for 25 years and will be very hard to unlearn!

2. Lack of steering feedback in the F30 is not new news. I can't determine if Audi is any less bad here. (Mixed opinions abound.) And in my test drives I haven't been able to explore limit-of-traction situations.

3. No non-dual climate control mode, are you serious? Let's say Im the only one who ever drive the car. I set both sides to heat in the winter. Then it becomes summer and I want AC so I turn the drivers side temp down, but if I don't also turn down the passenger side it'll still be pumping heat? I must be missing something here. But if this is true then how on earth could BMW omit that? It's so.... basic.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #106
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifaster View Post
I've read this thread with interest as I am potentially ordering a 340i xDrive manual trans soon. It's between that and the Audi S4.

1. In my test drives I've found the rev match is an interesting feature but I trip it up a lot. I have a habit of jogging the shifter left and right (between the 3-4 and 1-2 positions) when Im coasting in neutral. I get unexpected throttle blip every time I pull down out of 3rd gear and then left to the 1-2 slot without necessarily intending to take 2nd. It's kind of a "nervous twitch" habit I've had for 25 years and will be very hard to unlearn!

2. Lack of steering feedback in the F30 is not new news. I can't determine if Audi is any less bad here. (Mixed opinions abound.) And in my test drives I haven't been able to explore limit-of-traction situations.

3. No non-dual climate control mode, are you serious? Let's say Im the only one who ever drive the car. I set both sides to heat in the winter. Then it becomes summer and I want AC so I turn the drivers side temp down, but if I don't also turn down the passenger side it'll still be pumping heat? I must be missing something here. But if this is true then how on earth could BMW omit that? It's so.... basic.
In your opionon did the S4 feel heavier when driving? Was there any pros that you noticed right away. Also the S4 is no longer available in Manual trans was the one you test drove AT?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #107
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:

The lack of single zone climate controls bothered me too. I just set the passenger side to a comfortable temp and leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #108
skifaster
Rep

Quote:
In your opionon did the S4 feel heavier when driving? Was there any pros that you noticed right away. Also the S4 is no longer available in Manual trans was the one you test drove AT?
Rob, I apologize. I've driven the A4 not the S4. (I had long conversation with a friend about the S4 and my fingers accidentally mis-typed here!)

I hope this doesn't hijack the thread but in case anyone wonders why I'm deciding between mis-matched cars, originally it was going to 330i vs A4. Then I learned, on the day of our test drive, you can get xDrive + manual trans only in the 340. The dealer had one and my wife said well let's look at it. I wasn't gonna say no! As for Audi, MT is a must which rules out the S4.

The 340i and A4 each appeal to me in different ways and I haven't decided my preference yet. It is actually not a slam dunk either way for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #109
skifaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
The lack of single zone climate controls bothered me too. I just set the passenger side to a comfortable temp and leave it alone.
I found a comment in an old thread somewhere else, suggesting that pressing and holding the Auto button for a few seconds might enable L-R sync'ing of the climate settings, but there was no followup on it.

I guess if that were true then there probably wouldn't be dozens of internet threads complaining about lack of sync. Can anyone here confirm or refute it? (That holding the Auto button invokes sync.)

Lack of L-R sync annoys me in theory but I'm trying to determine how much it will annoy me in real life. I've never owned a car with auto-climate control. The notion of setting a temp that you generally like and just letting the car do it's thing seems... strange to me. I tend to fidget with the temp and position (floor vs dash vs windshield) settings a lot. I can't imagine not micro-managing those things. But if it really is that simple then I agree it shouldn't matter too much if you can't sync. But yet it's very easy to find rants about it, so IDK.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #110
juggsy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
I found a comment in an old thread somewhere else, suggesting that pressing and holding the Auto button for a few seconds might enable L-R sync'ing of the climate settings, but there was no followup on it.

I guess if that were true then there probably wouldn't be dozens of internet threads complaining about lack of sync. Can anyone here confirm or refute it? (That holding the Auto button invokes sync.)
Refute I'm afraid, holding Auto does nothing.

The most annoying thing in my mind is that it's such a basic function, particularly for a 'premium' brand, I just can't understand why BMW would omit it? To your point, even holding down Auto would suffice, so it would add no cost as it'd purely be software.
Appreciate 0