F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i MPPSK
GetBMWParts

05-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
Tommyj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition & Boxster 718S

Garage List
2019 X4M  [0.00]
2019 BMW XM  [0.00]
340i MPPSK

I could do with people's experience with before and after impressions of the MPPSK.

I used to have a modified 335d Touring - suspension, remap (370bhp/700Nm), 437's etc and the car was brilliant and long story short I early terminated it and now drive a Mini JCW with pro exhaust and coilovers which is a riot but not ideal for my new commute, and to complete the car situation my wife has an X4M - mental but a bit big and tall.

I test drove an 18 plate 340i Touring today expecting to be really impressed and came away underwhelmed with it. Lovely car but it didn't really give you a kick in the backside when it was booted, even with the engine and gearbox in sport.

The question is does the MPPSK transform it or just give it a little more noise and uumph? And if anyone has one that I can experience in the Midlands that would be great.

I had my heart set on the 340i it would be really useful to hear your thoughts. And this isn't intended to restart a 335d vs 340i debate again.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

If you're after the massive in gear shove of a remapped 35d then you're going to be disappointed.

However saying that the mid range torque gains on the 40i MPPSK are quite appreciable. The increase at the top end is less noticeable.

As for noise, set to comfort there isn't any drone, however in sport (effectively a straight through exhaust) there is a fair amount of drone which is pretty unpleasant.

As someone who has done a considerable number of miles in both a 35d and a 40i I'd say the 40i just about edges it overall. The 35d was more economical and with 4wd it was easier to make the most of the power on offer. The 40i sounds infinitely better, but can feel a little lacking low down in the Rev range in comparison, the MPPSK did resolve this, but not entirely.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

The extra (officially 29BHP) power takes the car to around 370-375 BHP and 500mn torque. But for me it's plenty powerful and gives me that kick in the backside every time. However don't think you could argue that it "transforms" the car in terms of performance, "a lot more noise and uumph" would be more accurate.

Although at higher speeds maybe the poorer aerodynamics of the touring start to matter? I digress slightly but there's an interesting youtube video if I can find it, 140i vs 240i at 50mph and up - there's purportedly a not insignificant difference between the different chassis at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Mppsk exhaust and stage 1 flash would probably be what you are after.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Tommyj
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X4M  [0.00]
2019 BMW XM  [0.00]
Thanks for the quick responses.

GEP77 - really useful feedback especially as you have experience of both, the 4wd definitely helps confidence when going for it. I drove an M4 Comp and the back end on that was very twitchy even in the dry if you were insensitive with the throttle, whereas the 335d you can pretty much just floor it anywhere.

Londoner - I certainly think the 340 touring weight and aero does affect the performance, our son has a 65 plate 135i that feels more instant than today’s 340.

Bars111 - I’m sure with circa 430-440 bhp I’d get what I’m after! I was trying to minimise mods as before you know it you’ve spent more than planned! It would probably need an lsd with that sort of power. It might make an F10 M5 seem even better value, albeit not then a touring, and as long as it’s under warranty!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

F36 440i
Stock, Straight through cat back and MPE, MPPSK.
MPE drones at 50/60. With caravan on the back, therefore pulling quite hard, the drone was awful.
MPPSK in comfort is still a little noisier than stock but acceptable. Sport crisps it up somewhat.
Performance? Little difference, if any using the seat of the pants dyno. But I got MPPSK for the anti social rather than poke.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

The mppsk sounds epic, it does transform the car into something a lot more fun, even at 20mph. The power bump is decent but not earth shattering.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
Tommyj
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X4M  [0.00]
2019 BMW XM  [0.00]
Alywn & Kyle - the sound makes a big difference, the exhaust on my JCW is made by the same company that makes the MPPSK and MPE exhaust. I know the owner and even he comments that he should have bought an F30/31 just to demonstrate their exhausts. The one I drove today was pre-OPF and was just too quiet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

From across the pond. I put the MPPSK on my 2018 340 after two years and it has been great. I have no regrets and it does transform the car. The exhaust is stellar and integrates with car so works with the valves. The tune is I guess a mild stage 1 tune and it all is wrapped in a bmw warranty. The butt dyno says yes more power and oomph when you floor it and the sound is great. My car is a daily driver so the additions and warranty were just what I wanted. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #10
Tommyj
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X4M  [0.00]
2019 BMW XM  [0.00]
Cajun, thanks for the feedback, retaining warranty and minimising insurance costs was always the upside of MPPSK as opposed to aftermarket. I’m starting to think that I need to drive another one as even the engine sound was no better than my 335d.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:54 AM   #11
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyj View Post
Cajun, thanks for the feedback, retaining warranty and minimising insurance costs was always the upside of MPPSK as opposed to aftermarket. I’m starting to think that I need to drive another one as even the engine sound was no better than my 335d.
It was your good self that gave me some advice when i bought my car ... it has performed faultlessly over the almost 4 years (52k) I have had it & has ample performance. The 335d although not special as such, is a brilliant all rounder

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
So I can't compare those two cars. I had an e46 330 when I moved to the F30 340. So it was a big jump. The mppsk added a bit more fun and excitement to the car. Certainly there are other options but the exhaust alone is an upgrade and an exhaust of comparable quality would be similar in price. The tune is mild but that makes sense for one with a warranty. Just my feelings and thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

I felt a modest difference in power when adding the MPPSK but nothing crazy. I 'feel' of the B58 doesn't really represent what's going on. Because the engine pulls from such a low rev range right up to the redline smoothly it's actually very quick, it just doesn't feel like it is.

Quote:
Bars111 - I’m sure with circa 430-440 bhp I’d get what I’m after! I was trying to minimise mods as before you know it you’ve spent more than planned! It would probably need an lsd with that sort of power. It might make an F10 M5 seem even better value, albeit not then a touring, and as long as it’s under warranty!
If you're in the position to run one of them then go for it, I have a 340i and my mate has an F10 M5. The M5 is a beast of a car, sound, driving experience, everything but the running costs are on a whole other level. My stage 1 340i puts up a good fight against it though and for a fraction of the running costs so makes the perfect all rounder for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:20 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've had a modified 335d and now a 340 that had the MPPSK. And also a tuned M4. i didnt thjnk the MPPSK was all that good to be honest.

The power increase is modest rather than night and day, and the exhaust was too droney in sport for my tastes. It does make sense on a newish car still in warranty however.

i much prefer it now with bootmod3 stage 1 and the standard exhaust. Its got proper shove now, not much less than my M4 before it was tuned.

Sounds are very typical smooth straight six BMW, and very refined, which is what i wanted.
I had the LSD fitted also, and so cant say what that power is like with an open diff.

Much quicker than my old 335d even with it remapped. Not quite the low end torque, but not far off, and the Rev range gives it more real performance.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #15
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

I added MPPSK to my F31 because at the time ECU maps were not available for the B58 cars so it was my only option. The car got faster but not by much but I enjoyed the noise more than anything.

The car has evolved somewhat since I purchased it. I know I don't like the sound of MPPSK + Decat but MPPSK + 200cel sounds like the sweet spot for me. It's totally asbo-o-rific but at the same time it can cruise around in comfort quietly.

Stock - underwhelming sound. quick but not enough theatre.
MPPSK - aah the noise. loved it.
DMS MAP - MPPSK Exhaust system (Stg1) Made the mppsk feel slow.
BM3 MAP - MPPSK Exhaust system (Stg1) Made the DMS map feel lumpy.
BM3 MAP - VRSF 200cel DP + MPPSK Exhaust system (Stg2) - MORE NOISE!
BM3 MAP - VRSF 200cel DP + MPPSK Exhaust system + TU fuel pump (Stg2+)
BM3 MAP - VRSF 200cel DP + MPPSK Exhaust system + TU fuel pump + E30 fuel (Stg2+)
MG MAP - Pure 800 + VRSF 200cel DP + MPPSK Exhaust system + Dorch Stg2 fuel pump (Stg3)

Honestly up to the Stg2+ I found the car was 'okay' on stock suspension and stock brakes but once moving up to the E30 map it was evident that the brakes were nowhere near enough so I swapped those out. After the turbo it was instantly evident that the suspension and lack of proper dif was holding it back so they went on too.

For a big girl she sure shifts when she wants to
Birds Suspension + Quaife LSD
      05-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #16
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

MPPSK - Pretty epic, it is.

Yes it drones when cruising, no doubt, but you have to appreciate that it has the valves open so it's just a straight through pipe at that point.
When I want quiet I switch to comfort and it all goes away.

Comfort mode for just cruising, long drives, family trips, pootling through peaceful countryside.
Sport mode for antisocial pops, bangs, upshift farts and loud acceleration noice. The kids love it too.

The MPPSK really does give the 340i the 2 personalities that many people speak of..
1 is a very fast 3 series that my wife loves to drive in comfort. She feels no need to put it in Sport.
2 is a very fast antisocial, noisy and brutal sounding monster of an estate that makes me chuckle every time..

To make the most of it you need to use Sport with manual shifting. Then you can play with the revs and keep it in a lower gear on the overrun for machine gun fire, if so desired.

I do think the Fx 40i cars will be put into 2 catagories in the future, when they become 'semi-classic'. The MPPSK cars and normal cars. I cant see there ever being such an option that makes such a night and day difference on future cars with all the regulations.
Maybe in 10-15yrs time there could be quite a following for MPPSK equiped cars.
The F31 340i is quite rare as it is, adding the MPPSK will only make it more so

If the 340i is a keeper, then I'd recommend the MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #17
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

The cold start on my 440i with mppsk sets off car alarms after I installed the 200 cell downpipe. Need BM3 to code it out so I now have 2 reasons to buy it
      05-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #18
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post

Yes it drones when cruising, no doubt, but you have to appreciate that it has the valves open so it's just a straight through pipe at that point.

Comfort mode for just cruising, long drives, family trips, pootling through peaceful countryside.
Sport mode for antisocial pops, bangs, upshift farts and loud acceleration noice. The kids love it too.

The MPPSK really does give the 340i the 2 personalities that many people speak of..
1 is a very fast 3 series that my wife loves to drive in comfort. She feels no need to put it in Sport.
2 is a very fast antisocial, noisy and brutal sounding monster of an estate that makes me chuckle every time..

To make the most of it you need to use Sport with manual shifting. Then you can play with the revs and keep it in a lower gear on the overrun for machine gun fire, if so desired.

I do think the Fx 40i cars will be put into 2 catagories in the future, when they become 'semi-classic'. The MPPSK cars and normal cars. I cant see there ever being such an option that makes such a night and day difference on future cars with all the regulations.

I totally agree with this the MPPSK is an epic add on that I cannot see repeated with all the nanny regs.
Mine's a keeper to be honest as everytime I am thinking about upgrading, a drive in sports+ with the sunroof open soon changes my mind.
Not much different to stock in comfort so mrs doesn't complain too much on the longer trips with the family.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #19
Boosting35d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

With working from home a permanent thing - the 340i is also a possible option for many that perhaps couldn’t afford to run it as a daily
Quick query - and sorry to thread jump!
What id like to know if whether the pops and bangs are healthy for the car or is it best to refrain?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #20
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosting35d View Post
What id like to know if whether the pops and bangs are healthy for the car or is it best to refrain?
Seems highly unlikely to damage anything, even exhaust valves. Would assume the mppsk system is made to withstand even the craziest amount of pops and bangs

This explains it quite well:

DOES A POP AND BANG MAP CAUSE ANY RELIABILITY PROBLEMS?
This is by far the most controversial part of this subject, and while the answer is sometimes yes, providing your map has been done by someone who knows what they’re doing, it’s highly unlikely to cause any real issues. Any potential reliability issues will come from the same thing that gave performance remapping (or chipping as it was known a decade or two ago) a bad reputation – people doing it badly.

OEMs have ECU tunes that include ‘burbles’ that are reliable and designed to last 100,000+ miles of hard use. Reliability issues stem from a remap (be it for pure performance or for pops and bangs) being done in an unsafe manner – too extreme for what the engine can handle, and therefore doing damage.

“We offer more extreme versions of the pops and burbles, but because this requires adding more fuel, you can only have it with a catalyst-free exhaust. There is only so much fuel you can burn off before you poison the catalyst. If it smells of sulphur, it’s dying,” says Stu.

More than just the cat can be damaged, though, if the pops and bangs remap is too extreme for what your engine can handle. Extreme heat from richer mixtures and heavily retarded ignitions can cause extreme exhaust gas temperatures, which even with a de-cat could possibly damage lambda sensors, exhaust systems, and potentially more.

BUT what are the chances of actual engine internal damage with one of these maps? Well, if you look at the internet, every man and his pet monkey has a story about a friend of a friend whose uncle has damaged an engine due to this. In reality, we’ve yet to find a single case where engine internal damage was definitely proven to be caused by the pops and bangs mapped in to the ECU.

Certain engines have relatively weak exhaust valves – Renault F4Rs, for example, and these maps have been blamed for damaging them quite a few times. But hard used versions of these engines often end up with the same valve damage, regardless of the map, so it’s still speculation rather than proof.

Again, speaking to the guys at Motorsport Developments, Kenny has seen cars come in to their shop with quite extreme ‘crackle map’ tunes done elsewhere, with 30-degrees of ignition retard and quite rich fuelling. This is verging on the settings you’d use on an anti-lag system, albeit only happening for a few seconds at a time on a map like this. This certainly isn’t something they’d recommend on a typical engine, and would cause really high EGTs during the ‘crackle’ period. It, therefore, has more potential for damage to be caused. But still, they’ve never personally seen engine internals damaged from this.

https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning-tec...and-bang-maps/

Anti-lag

Last edited by winther1; 05-06-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #21
Boosting35d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Perfect thank you for the info there. Definitely put my mind at ease

And yup have seen that video before but always worth a re-watch :-D

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #22
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post

I'd also agree with this - that's a great summary.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0