F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Great Set of F30 3 Series Production Photos and Videos
ARMA SPEED

01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #155
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Does any of you that cannot think of anything other then negative thinking realize how much human effort is required to ...

a) develop robots to carryout those tasks?
b) set up the timing to on the assembly line?
c) complete a fine car like the BMW using this technology?

It all leads back to the brilliant thinking of one man Henry Ford ... just think about it.

Yes some other cars are mainly hand build ... then they are 3 to 4 times the price of a BMW!

The negative posters of tHis thread remind me of the saying .... There are leaders and there are followers ... naturally always more followers

///M Power-Belgium in this case being the negative leader with his line of thinking attracts his share of followers.

Unless you been in one of those factories and seen this in action you cannot appreciate the advancements the human race has made over the past 50 years.

Let us not kid ourselves if it was not for this advanced technology you and I would still be relying on our bicycle for we could not afford a car like the M3 unless it was handed down to you.

The Chinese have a saying "May you live in interesting times" we are living in interesting times. If you are in your 20's or 30's you will even be witness to more technological advancement then I have seen in the past 50 years ... you may even be paid to stay home and do nothing.

I thank the Member ///M Power-Belgium for posting this fine video, it reminded me of the 2009 factory tours I took at BMW, Porsche and Mercedes, however, I cannot share in his negativity. He needs to be reminded that we live in the 21st Century and change if he likes it or not is the order of the day.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Made edits since the thread from Member ///M Power-Belgium was added here
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #156
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Does any of you that cannot think of anything other then negative thinking realize how much human effort is required to ...

It all leads back to the brilliant thinking of one man Henry Ford ... just think about it.

Yes some other cars are mainly hand build ... then they are 3 to 4 times the price of a BMW!

This thread reminds me of the saying .... There are leaders and there are followers ... naturally always more followers

The OP ///M Power-Belgium in this case being the negative leader with his line of thinking attracts his share of followers.

Unless you been in one of those factories and seen this in action you cannot appreciate the advancements the human race has made over the past 50 years.

Let us not kid ourselves if it was not for this advanced technology you and I would still be relying on our bicycle for we could not afford a car like the M3 unless it was handed down to you.

The Chinese have a saying "May you live in interesting times" we are living in interesting times. If you are in your 20's or 30's you will even be witness to more technological advancement then I have seen in the past 50 years ... you may even be paid to stay home and do nothing.
For some reason I couldn't see the end of your quote until I replied to it. Odd. The last part of your phrase is interesting. I think Greece (and other countries) tried that and it didn't work.

As for the automation, it is amazing that's for sure but BMW still have a lot of work to do on their sprayers. Many years ago as a teenager, I've put better paint jobs on my cars in my parents garage than what is on my M3 today.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #157
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The first thing i noticed was...soon ...humans are no longer necessary !
And what we all now...as the global economic crisis =What i call... new era !
Why....??? no people at work=no jobs=no money !
No money...who is going to buy BMW's !
So...what i call...the new era....this system is going to strangle himself !
I can see it also at my work....40 machines = 1 person !
i don't want to be negative...but i think...it's the reality !

Humans are no longer necessary? No. How do you expect the big car companies to pump out the volume they do without automation? 2 million cars a year, think about that.

While most of the automation is done in the bodyshop and paint shop, what the video doesn't show is that there's an entire army of workers there too. Assembly of the car (interior trims, electronics ect...) are still done by humans.

So no, the system is not going to "strangle" itself.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #158
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
............ what the video doesn't show is that there's an entire army of workers there too. Assembly of the car (interior trims, electronics ect...) are still done by humans.

Exactly .... I recommend .... people that think otherwise make it a point to visit the Corvette factory in Bowling Green ... the Corvette is mainly build by hand on the 3.5 Mile assembly line at that factory ... take the VIP tour like we did last year to see it all ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #159
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Humans are no longer necessary? No. How do you expect the big car companies to pump out the volume they do without automation? 2 million cars a year, think about that.

While most of the automation is done in the bodyshop and paint shop, what the video doesn't show is that there's an entire army of workers there too. Assembly of the car (interior trims, electronics ect...) are still done by humans.

Quote:
Exactly .... I recommend .... people that think otherwise make it a point to visit the Corvette factory in Bowling Green ... the Corvette is mainly build by hand on the 3.5 Mile assembly line at that factory ... take the VIP tour like we did last year to see it all ...
This system is not sustainable, and yes I've been to many factories and have seen the world and the saying "may you live in interesting times" is actually a curse not just a saying. It's not being negative, it's realizing what's happening around you. Over 4 billion years of evolution has led us to where we are today and it has been massively speeding up (not just the pace of human culture/tech). Single cell for 3.5 billion, cambrian explosion 500 mill ago (thank you sex), rise of dino's 250 mill, rise of mammals 65 mil, rise of hominids 10-15 mill, rise of man 150,000, rise of culture/society 10,000, industrial/tech revolution 150 yrs-present. Do we really think "life" has found it's sweet spot and evolution is done??? Not putting a qualifying judgement on things, but seems inevitable. One things for sure, this is going to be one hell of a ride (pun intended)
      01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #160
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Great video, thanks for posting. As for all the doom and gloomers lamenting the use of robots, growing up near Detroit I heard this non-stop on the news through the 70s, 80s and beyond. Robotic welders, painters, etc have been around for some time, with this level of integration. Humans are still largely doing the same jobs, assembling parts that require more dexterity or where parts cannot be guaranteed to be in a static "reference" position for a robot to work on (think coupling hoses.) The technology seen in the video is really nothing new.

I have been fortunate enough to have taken many factory tours over the years, mostly private ones where you get to see a lot of the process. The most amazing things I remember seeing (apart from the robots) were the guy who would hand paint pinstripes on to Cadillacs as they rolled down the line, and watching panels being hammered by hand at the original Aston Martin factory.
      01-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #161
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

I thank the Member ///M Power-Belgium for posting this fine video, it reminded me of the 2009 factory tours I took at BMW, Porsche and Mercedes, however, I cannot share in his negativity. He needs to be reminded that we live in the 21st Century and change if he likes it or not is the order of the day.
THX.....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #162
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

I don't view any of this stuff as negative. It means that we have to be more than just a warm body (ie use our brains) if we want a job that's more than just a pay cheque.

People get so awed by this mechanized show of technology but not much new is being done here. This reminds of the hologram story. People knew that holograms could be created decades before the first one was made. People just didn't have the tool needed to make one (a laser). Not much new was going on here also.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #163
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
You know, here we have lamenting the loss of production line jobs, but time was when people didn't think production line work was good work to get. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/mv-xru...n_the_machine/
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #164
BMWX54SFV
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 Black on Black

You Tube Assembly Video of 3 Series F30

Your 40's 50's 60's 70's cars were not made this way

This film is kind of long (15 min) but it is a BMW production line which I found interesting.
Watch when you have some time. Amazing how automated.

Machines are now made by machines, that's why we have unemployment !

Labour has become too expensive !

click here:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/libw1rV...yer_detailpage
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #165
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Not quite as dramatic as the Terminator factories, but still very interesting. Amazing that they don't make more mistakes on custom orders.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #166
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Always enjoyable to watch that video - saw it for the first time several months ago and watched it again today via your link. One thing this video didn't include is the electrocoat immersion (baptism?) for corrosion-protection coating:
. They should have included the seat bases, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #167
kcidymkcus321
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Thumbs up

LOVE this video!

I watched this daily until I received my car from the factory drove the wife crazy lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #168
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #169
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Not quite as dramatic as the Terminator factories, but still very interesting. Amazing that they don't make more mistakes on custom orders.
This is exactly what I thought when I toured the factory in Munich. It's eerie watching those robots do what they do close up. Both my wife and I felt like one of the robots was gonna suddenly glow red eyes and reach out and grab one of us. It's creepy.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #170
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:

I think this is a very good point that is lost on so many people. It takes an enormous amount of very intelligent people to develop such machines and why is that not considered workforce as well? We're just shifting the jobs from one field to another. Admittedly not everyone can do these high-tech jobs but that is the world we live in. You adapt or you go the way of the dinosaurs like those GM unions.

Quote:
Kinda reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. We'll end up doing nothing sitting on a toilet all day with a soda in one hand and a TV remote on the other. Not sure I'm going to like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #171
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Single cell for 3.5 billion, cambrian explosion 500 mill ago (thank you sex), rise of dino's 250 mill, rise of mammals 65 mil, rise of hominids 10-15 mill, rise of man 150,000, rise of culture/society 10,000, industrial/tech revolution 150 yrs-present. Do we really think "life" has found it's sweet spot and evolution is done??? Not putting a qualifying judgement on things, but seems inevitable. One things for sure, this is going to be one hell of a ride (pun intended)
Sorry but you can't mix evolutionary events like single cell, cambrian era, etc... with comparatively small events like the tech revolution and call it an acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #172
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Cheap labor in China kinda blows the whole robotic model to bits. USA manufacturers in the 80's and 90's expected robotics to take over manufacturing (all manufacturing, not just automobiles). They were suppose to save the industry. Robotics were the high-tech solution. What they failed to notice was that it was cheaper to have 3 Chinese workers assemble a part by hand than to pay for a top-of-the-line robot. So went away American manufacturing and so went the rise of Chinese manufacturing. I'm waiting for the day when the majority of the world's automobiles will be produced in China or some other low cost country (could be Vietnam, Thailand, India, etc..).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #173
xyzTO
Rep
Drives: 2-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Always enjoyable to watch that video - saw it for the first time several months ago and watched it again today via your link. One thing this video didn't include is the electrocoat immersion (baptism?) for corrosion-protection coating:
. They should have included the seat bases, lol.

Very cool indeed!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #174
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

my car was built in Munchen!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0