F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Rear parking light bars on when braking
Studio RSR

04-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Is there anyway to activate the rear parking light led bars with the regular brake lights on braking during the day?
At night they can stay on as is and just the outer regular brake lights can turn on. In other words just work as normal.
Any codes out there for this?
By the way the car is a pre lci f31
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
GuMiMoRo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
Is there anyway to activate the rear parking light led bars with the regular brake lights on braking during the day?
At night they can stay on as is and just the outer regular brake lights can turn on. In other words just work as normal.
Any codes out there for this?
By the way the car is a pre lci f31
Good idea but i cant help you with this coding... lets see someone does
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

I think you can code them to be on with DRL, this would do what you want re: braking, but would basically be on 100% of the time.
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      04-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I think you can code them to be on with DRL, this would do what you want re: braking, but would basically be on 100% of the time.
Oh no that would not be what I would like. I would like more surface area lit up on braking. I am hoping there is another way.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

No, Im afraid that cant be done, caused by the physical wirings to the lamps. As far as I could see this from the schematics layout of the wiring, theres no physical connection between the outer rear lamps and the brake lamps.
That surely wasnt foreseen, if you have the headlights on, the rear lamps are also lighted and when you press the brake pedal, the brake lights are applying additional.
I see no way to power the tail lights simultaneously with the brake lights at normal daylight condition. If theres a coding way Im curious.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
No, Im afraid that cant be done, caused by the physical wirings to the lamps. As far as I could see this from the schematics layout of the wiring, theres no physical connection between the outer rear lamps and the brake lamps.
That surely wasnt foreseen, if you have the headlights on, the rear lamps are also lighted and when you press the brake pedal, the brake lights are applying additional.
I see no way to power the tail lights simultaneously with the brake lights at normal daylight condition. If theres a coding way Im curious.
You are correct, however I have seen codes out there that can activate the led parking light bars along with the turn signal.
Hence the hope for some coding miracle.

Here is what I was basing my query on...
Coding: Rear Light Bars Remapped For Turn Signals - Still Enabled for Tails https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1267468
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
rflagg
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

You might be able to make this happen by exploiting the emergency brake function by mapping it to the inner lights and lowering the thresholds so that it activates every time you brake. I have the rear parking lights enabled all the time for safety reasons so can’t test.
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      04-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflagg View Post
You might be able to make this happen by exploiting the emergency brake function by mapping it to the inner lights and lowering the thresholds so that it activates every time you brake. I have the rear parking lights enabled all the time for safety reasons so can't test.
Good idea but I use the rear emergency lamps as fog lamps during inclement weather or if someone is tailgating me when I am clearly not in the passing lane instead of brake checking by blinking them on the vehicle behind.
Morse: ... - —- .—. I kid... I just turn them
Off and on in rapid succession while I speed up a little.

In case of hard braking my outer lights and the third stop light blink in rapid succession and if I completely stop the hazards come on.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Hmm...the F32 holds 2 rear fog lights left and right within the main lights in the trunk lid. If you havent the rear fog switch, check if you have the front fogs, if its be able to modify as described here within the section. Pry out the lower unmarked button, remove the two plastic tabs behind and code the rear fogs, voila, you got this first. But: They should only be applicable at activated head lights, thats a safety switching, Idk how to code aside of its purpose...but its an option to get more visible.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      04-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Hmm...the F32 holds 2 rear fog lights left and right within the main lights in the trunk lid. If you havent the rear fog switch, check if you have the front fogs, if its be able to modify as described here within the section. Pry out the lower unmarked button, remove the two plastic tabs behind and code the rear fogs, voila, you got this first. But: They should only be applicable at activated head lights, thats a safety switching, Idk how to code aside of its purpose...but its an option to get more visible.
I do have the euro fog lamp switch which has front fog lights and rear fog lights marked and working as coded so I am good there.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12512.00
      07-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
iAlexander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, W211 E350

Quote:
I do have the euro fog lamp switch which has front fog lights and rear fog lights marked and working as coded so I am good there.
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I’m in the same boat — I think BMW could take notes from Audi on how brake lights should look and work!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlexander View Post
Quote:
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I’m in the same boat — I think BMW could take notes from Audi on how brake lights should look and work!
You should be able to find this under the coding section of this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
iAlexander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, W211 E350

Quote:
You should be able to find this under the coding section of this forum.
Oops — I already did the rear fog thing but I meant using the LED bars as part of the brake lights.
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      03-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlexander View Post
Oops — I already did the rear fog thing but I meant using the LED bars as part of the brake lights.
I've been searching for this for a long time, and keep running into this thread without anyone actually answer. I found the solution today, involves coding the REM module.

Code:
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H_L_OUTPUT > sl_l (14)
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H_L_FUNCTION > 0C
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H_R_OUTPUT > sl-r (15)
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H_R_FUNCTION > 0C
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H2_L_OUTPUT > sl_2_l (16)
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H2_L_FUNCTION > 0C
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H2_R_OUTPUT > sl_2_r (17)
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_H2_R_FUNCTION > 0C
The above worked for me. Make sure MAPPING_XXX_PWM1 is set to 64, and the MAPPING_XXX_PRIORITY to 02. If that has issues not triggering when headlights are set to auto, set the priority to 01

Adapted from the threads on how to use the rear light bar DRLs as turn signals and the thread on how to remap the rear fog lights as brake lights.

Last edited by shadowx360; 03-06-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 06:42 AM   #16
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

It does work but you lose the function of keeping the rear DRLS on with the fronts in auto. Does work in other light settings though. Unless anyone knows how to keep the rear DRLS on with This braking feature