F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

03-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #1937
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoljo View Post
So, I mentioned in the Avin install thread that I am facing some audio issues, sound quality with 8.1 HU is bad and music is only coming out from right side speakers. I tried chaging the settings and using aux cable, no fix. I then started looking for a workaround. I have invested quite a lot in the system, Audiotec Fischer DSP+AMP and woofers, GZ mids and tweeters. So I must find a way to get good sound out of it..

Enter the USB DAC. I borrowed a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 DAC and plugged it in to the Android USB socket. Output to BMW Aux. Volume was limited, but an app called Precise Volume allowed me to set Android output to 100%, which fixed it. Pro version allows you to keep 100% output even after reboot. The resulting sound is amazing! Incredibly crisp, detailed, with pleasant and powerful bass.

I have also been using a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, which appears to work just as well. Excellent sound quality and works effortlessly. No hickups, pauses, glitches or anything. Just reliable audio.

I currently have SMSL iDea DAC ordered, that should be small enough to just install and forget inside the dash.

I hope this post helps other audio enthusiasts
Great news! Thanks for sharing. Make sure the fax you buy has really low output impedance. Aux input in bmw has very uneven frequency dependent impedance. I have android 4.4.4 that doesn't support usb audio and ended up modifying unit inside. Though external dac should be a better option. Using airplay/chromecast (requires root) worked as well but add too much latency.

Last edited by tpaxadpom; 03-29-2019 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 02:14 AM   #1938
hidehide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
So, I mentioned in the Avin install thread that I am facing some audio issues, sound quality with 8.1 HU is bad and music is only coming out from right side speakers. I tried chaging the settings and using aux cable, no fix. I then started looking for a workaround. I have invested quite a lot in the system, Audiotec Fischer DSP+AMP and woofers, GZ mids and tweeters. So I must find a way to get good sound out of it..

Enter the USB DAC. I borrowed a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 DAC and plugged it in to the Android USB socket. Output to BMW Aux. Volume was limited, but an app called Precise Volume allowed me to set Android output to 100%, which fixed it. Pro version allows you to keep 100% output even after reboot. The resulting sound is amazing! Incredibly crisp, detailed, with pleasant and powerful bass.

I have also been using a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, which appears to work just as well. Excellent sound quality and works effortlessly. No hickups, pauses, glitches or anything. Just reliable audio.

I currently have SMSL iDea DAC ordered, that should be small enough to just install and forget inside the dash.

Looking forward for your update. I have also invested quite a bit on my stereo and the audio from the Android hu is unacceptable. Currently I continue to use the stock music player most of the time. So I'm only using the hu as a navigation. Would like to see if yours is the solution for my problem or not.

Btw, how do you wire the dac to the stock aux?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 03:48 AM   #1939
jkoljo
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks guys for the comments! The SMSL iDea should have really low output impedance, less than 1 ohm. The problem is that it will have its own volume control that reverts to 50% after power cycle. Let's see if that is enough or if mods are required. A Dragonfly Red would not have that issue, but it costs more.

The Schiit Modi 2 has been working great for the past few days! Its output impedance is not perfect because it is only intended as DAC, not directly drive anything, but it seems to work nicely. I would not recommend to buy it for BMW, but it allows me to test the concept. It is connected via RCA male to 3.5 mm female, and 3.5 mm male-male to original car input. You could just buy a 3.5 mm male to RCA male to get the job done. The Scarlett had 3.5 mm output, and the SMSL will have it as well.

I would say that with the right DAC (impedance ok, volume control ok, android support, audio quality ok), this solution is perfect for audio enthusiasts. The DAC is powered on with the HU, and powered off with it as well. Sound comes out immediately, and works across the system. Maps works, spotify works, youtube works. You can even use maps voice navigation simultaneously with spotify, and it properly lowers the spotify volume for the duration of assistance voice.

Edit: If the SMSL iDea fails to work for some reason, I will probably order a Cyrus SoundKey next. That seems like a perfect product for our use, decently priced as well.

Last edited by jkoljo; 03-30-2019 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #1940
Mitchellsx
Rep
Drives: Bmw m135i

Hi. Recently installed this a 10.25 8.1 unit.

Is there anyway of having the unit automatically connect to my iPhone hotspot, bit of a pain having to re activate on my iPhone then activate on the unit to get it working

Find the screen has a glare to it, does anyone know where I can get a Matte screen protector?

How do I adjust the brightness, there is a slider from the drop down window but that doesn't do anything

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #1941
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

I've got an Avin unit in my F30 which generally works fine but I've got an issue with my reverse camera. I've got it installed with the camera power tapped into a switched ignition fuse rather than powered from the Avin unit or the light itself and I know that power works reliably. I've got the trigger wire running from the reverse light +12v into the Avin unit's signal wire and the camera works well, sometimes.

If I get in the car and start it up within a few seconds, the reverse camera usually works fine and the video feed displays correctly. Occasionally it won't work at all and the standard BMW UI for PDC displays instead. If I leave it for a little while before starting up, I'll quite often get the camera display flickering on and off constantly, but if I ignore it and carry on with my journey, it works as expected when I reverse perhaps half an hour later. There are occasionally situations where it still doesn't though.

I can't figure out what this could be as I know the camera's power isn't an issue and I've had three cameras hooked up now with the exact same problems. The trigger wire from the reverse light's +12v is definitely making a solid contact (crimped and soldered) so I know it isn't that either. The Avin unit is set to aftermarket camera in settings but clearly something else isn't right. Anyone else had issues like this? Could I perhaps need an MCU update?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:20 AM   #1942
jkoljo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchellsx View Post
Is there anyway of having the unit automatically connect to my iPhone hotspot, bit of a pain having to re activate on my iPhone then activate on the unit to get it working

Find the screen has a glare to it, does anyone know where I can get a Matte screen protector?

How do I adjust the brightness, there is a slider from the drop down window but that doesn't do anything
On Android, there is an app called Tasker, which you can set up to start wifi hotspot when it detects the BMW bluetooth connection. It works great. You could research and try to find something similar for the iPhone.

AvinUSA sells matte screen protectors.

Screen brightness slider does not work in my unit either. However, the brightness can be adjusted in the HU settings (the NBT-lookalike menu structure), under video. I wish there was a better way though. Maybe, just maybe a future MCU update will link the brightness to BMW brightness scrollwheel. One can always hope..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #1943
Mitchellsx
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

On Android, there is an app called Tasker, which you can set up to start wifi hotspot when it detects the BMW bluetooth connection. It works great. You could research and try to find something similar for the iPhone.

AvinUSA sells matte screen protectors.

Screen brightness slider does not work in my unit either. However, the brightness can be adjusted in the HU settings (the NBT-lookalike menu structure), under video. I wish there was a better way though. Maybe, just maybe a future MCU update will link the brightness to BMW brightness scrollwheel. One can always hope..
Thanks, will take a look. I can't seem to find a setting video in my settings to adjust the brightness, it's not in the factory settings is it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:29 AM   #1944
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
I've got an Avin unit in my F30 which generally works fine but I've got an issue with my reverse camera. I've got it installed with the camera power tapped into a switched ignition fuse rather than powered from the Avin unit or the light itself and I know that power works reliably. I've got the trigger wire running from the reverse light +12v into the Avin unit's signal wire and the camera works well, sometimes.

If I get in the car and start it up within a few seconds, the reverse camera usually works fine and the video feed displays correctly. Occasionally it won't work at all and the standard BMW UI for PDC displays instead. If I leave it for a little while before starting up, I'll quite often get the camera display flickering on and off constantly, but if I ignore it and carry on with my journey, it works as expected when I reverse perhaps half an hour later. There are occasionally situations where it still doesn't though.

I can't figure out what this could be as I know the camera's power isn't an issue and I've had three cameras hooked up now with the exact same problems. The trigger wire from the reverse light's +12v is definitely making a solid contact (crimped and soldered) so I know it isn't that either. The Avin unit is set to aftermarket camera in settings but clearly something else isn't right. Anyone else had issues like this? Could I perhaps need an MCU update?
Try the other camera options, i have an after market camera but it needs to be set to bmw camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:23 AM   #1945
jkoljo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, will take a look. I can't seem to find a setting video in my settings to adjust the brightness, it's not in the factory settings is it
Nope, it is in the settings that open from main menu/home screen. The one that looks like NBT menus.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #1946
Mitchellsx
Rep

Is there a way to set what comes on first when you start unit? Android side or I drive
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #1947
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

Quote:

Will you be able to provide audio measurements using RMAA software. The software is free. I can also provide an audio test file and you can simply record the output from your DAC and I can post processed myself. I am very curious as to how well USB audio drivers worked. I am a bit furstrated to hear that you had to use third party app to boost the volume. This suggests you are likely unable get bit perfect output.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #1948
jkoljo
Private
Rep

Shoot me a PM and lets discuss it, I will do it if I have the required hardware. I am definitely interested! I will look into this when I get home today.

I do not think that precise volume app "boosts" volume, I believe that it just gives a method to change the system media volume. Same as simply pressing hw volume buttons on your phone, but because Avin unit does not have those, you have to use an app.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #1949
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

I sent you pm. You should be able to record dac output with decent soundcard connected to laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #1950
Mitchellsx
Rep

Anyone use apple car play with these units and find the time a bit squashed to the side on the screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #1951
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Anyone use apple car play with these units and find the time a bit squashed to the side on the screen?
I find if I have time on right hand side it’s squashed but it’s fine on left hand side
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #1952
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

How do I get rid of that overlay on the OEM system on the right side? It looks like the Eco drive info background but it shows my gas Litres remaining, my seatbelt and average speed.

This is blocking half the screen almost and i can't see anything on the right side of OEM system screen. In Android mode it's fine and nothing is there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #1953
Mitchellsx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babagurgur View Post
How do I get rid of that overlay on the OEM system on the right side? It looks like the Eco drive info background but it shows my gas Litres remaining, my seatbelt and average speed.

This is blocking half the screen almost and i can't see anything on the right side of OEM system screen. In Android mode it's fine and nothing is there.
Hi I posted the answer in another forum, please see below, hope it helps
Thanks

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...83858#p1483858
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #1954
Mitchellsx
Rep

Does anyone got this pop up when they start up?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #1955
luisavila
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks guys for the comments! The SMSL iDea should have really low output impedance, less than 1 ohm. The problem is that it will have its own volume control that reverts to 50% after power cycle. Let's see if that is enough or if mods are required. A Dragonfly Red would not have that issue, but it costs more.

The Schiit Modi 2 has been working great for the past few days! Its output impedance is not perfect because it is only intended as DAC, not directly drive anything, but it seems to work nicely. I would not recommend to buy it for BMW, but it allows me to test the concept. It is connected via RCA male to 3.5 mm female, and 3.5 mm male-male to original car input. You could just buy a 3.5 mm male to RCA male to get the job done. The Scarlett had 3.5 mm output, and the SMSL will have it as well.

I would say that with the right DAC (impedance ok, volume control ok, android support, audio quality ok), this solution is perfect for audio enthusiasts. The DAC is powered on with the HU, and powered off with it as well. Sound comes out immediately, and works across the system. Maps works, spotify works, youtube works. You can even use maps voice navigation simultaneously with spotify, and it properly lowers the spotify volume for the duration of assistance voice.

Edit: If the SMSL iDea fails to work for some reason, I will probably order a Cyrus SoundKey next. That seems like a perfect product for our use, decently priced as well.
Hi, thanks for your recommendation using usb dac.
I was looking at Google and found these two Dac devices.
What you think,?

https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC
https://hifimediy.com/tiny-dac

Last edited by luisavila; 04-06-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 02:35 AM   #1956
jkoljo
Private
Rep

The Hifime diy sabre 9018 dac has a headphone amp stage (tinydac does not) that brings the output impedance down. That is highly recommended for our BMWs, because the aux input impedance is not exactly the best. It seems like a nice choice! A step up would be the Cyrus SoundKey, but I doubt that it would make a huge difference.

If you buy and test the 9018 DAC, please tell us how it works!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #1957
Mitchellsx
Rep

Using CarPlay and Spotify with this unit I find the music jumps when played does anyone else get this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #1958
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

coming to the party late.. who has the latest and greatest system with android auto function and backup camera? ugode, avinusa, 4x4shop.ca, other? this is for a 2014 m235i (f22), currently without backup camera. thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0