F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Sport automatic -- 2TB do it!
GetBMWParts

04-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #133
maggiethelab
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xDrive

I coded my 2014 320i from 205 to 2TB via VO coding - worked great, gave me Sport+ and faster shifting. After about 6 months for no particularly good reason it started to randomly switch to manual shifting mode while in normal drive position - got M1 on the dash, engine revs to near redline RPM and I look down and the shifter is NOT in manual mode. I pull it to the left, shift to 2nd, flip it back to automatic and all is well, until it does it again a couple weeks later.

I'm thinking hmm.. maybe this is because I coded Sport Transmission, so I code it back to 205. Same thing happens when coded for non-sport transmission.

I take it to the dealer, and they tell me the car is throwing off error codes because it thinks it has paddle shifters, when it doesn't. They ask if I've had anyone add any aftermarket hardware, I say 'No', they say they 'hmmm' and they need to re-code the car back to factory. Fine by me, they added the new 3G BMW Assist box so they needed to code it anyway, but I'm not sold on coding being the issue.

Anyone heard of a 205 -> 2TB coding causing the transmission to randomly think it's in Manual mode in an F30? I'm supposed to get the car back tomorrow, will see if a re-code to factory fixes this. I'm skeptical, I'd bet it's a problem with the shifter, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #134
luntik
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320ix -> 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiethelab View Post
Anyone heard of a 205 -> 2TB coding causing the transmission to randomly think it's in Manual mode in an F30? I'm supposed to get the car back tomorrow, will see if a re-code to factory fixes this. I'm skeptical, I'd bet it's a problem with the shifter, but we'll see.
Yes, I had the same problem in my F20. Did you code FEM? How did you code 205 back?
Tell us more about how did you do 2TB?

Just code FEM with 205 option in FA and ICM, EGS, DSC and KOMBI with 2TB.

Quote:
...gave me Sport+
If you have F30, you have to add 7AC option for Sport+, don't you?

Last edited by luntik; 04-03-2017 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #135
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

7AC is only Sport Line.
2TB is Sport Automatic.

@maggiethelab
I think there's a problem with the shifter because it only happens randomly and only after 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #136
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
The whole point, at least I thought, of having a torque converter was to make it not feel like a DCT. I have driven a few sport autos and I don't get any "jolt" that you speak of.. But I do agree the sport auto shifts faster than the non.
You only get a kick at WOT above 3500rpm in the first 2-3 gears. I wouldn't call it a jolt I guess, just a feeling of the drivetrain engaging aggressively that is felt throughout the car. Also, the car needs to be in Sport/Sport+ and shifter to the left.
Did you code for paddles? If you don't have paddles you should be able to use the console shift in manual mode and the quick shifting effect can occur in any gear you're shifting to while at higher speeds. I haven't done it with the console shifter myself though. With the paddles you can temporarily enter manual mode while in D and it will revert back to d if you don't execute any shifts for a few seconds. Depending on how much or how aggressively you shift it may stay in M longer. When I first started shifting or using sport+ it was a little scary as I thought something was going to break but now it's awesome. It will shift smoother but still fast when not on WOT imo. Also, if you're executing a downshift at lower speeds and try to go wot that's the only time it shifts slower maybe to protect the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #137
luntik
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
7AC is only Sport Line.
2TB is Sport Automatic.

@maggiethelab
I think there's a problem with the shifter because it only happens randomly and only after 6 months.
When I had this problem, it was also happening absolutely randomly
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #138
maggiethelab
Registered
Rep

We'll see - the dealer coded my car back to factory settings, I'll let it sit for a while and see if the ghost comes back and shifts into M1. Sucks to lose all the goodies I changed but I'll leave it alone to debug this shifting problem.

@luntik, I changed 205 to 2TB in the FA and VO coded EGS, ICM and KOMBI. To set it back, I changed 2TB to 205 and coded EGS, ICM and KOMBI, basically undoing the initial coding. What I didn't do is tell the car that it didn't have paddles - if I do this again I'll VO Code 2TB and then go find FEM_BODY => PADDLES_VERBAUT and tell the car there are no paddles.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #139
SirVilhelm
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:

I take it to the dealer, and they tell me the car is throwing off error codes because it thinks it has paddle shifters, when it doesn't. They ask if I've had anyone add any aftermarket hardware, I say 'No', they say they 'hmmm' and they need to re-code the car back to factory. Fine by me, they added the new 3G BMW Assist box so they needed to code it anyway, but I'm not sold on coding being the issue.
Question for you. I just picked up a CPO 2014 3 series and the sales guys tells me that any of the BMW assist features don't work because the car only runs on 2G which is disabled now. Reading what you wrote it sounds like they can replace that 2G box with a 3G box? Is that under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #140
maggiethelab
Registered
Rep

If the BMW Assist contract is still in place then BMW should replace the 2G with 3G under warranty. Go to https://bmwassistoffer.com/sunset/vin.htm and type in your VIN number, it will tell you if you are eligible for an upgrade.

It's my understanding that all 2014's came with a 10 year BMW assist standard, mine expires in Oct of 2024. I bought my 320i used from a private party. If they are telling you it's expired I'd call BS on it, make them tell you or show you that BMW Assist isn't transferrable to a 2nd owner. My understanding is these things are expensive to replace, they are not going out of their way to get them replaced.

Last edited by maggiethelab; 04-05-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #141
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I coded my 2014 320i from 205 to 2TB via VO coding - worked great, gave me Sport+ and faster shifting. After about 6 months for no particularly good reason it started to randomly switch to manual shifting mode while in normal drive position - got M1 on the dash, engine revs to near redline RPM and I look down and the shifter is NOT in manual mode. I pull it to the left, shift to 2nd, flip it back to automatic and all is well, until it does it again a couple weeks later.

I'm thinking hmm.. maybe this is because I coded Sport Transmission, so I code it back to 205. Same thing happens when coded for non-sport transmission.

When coding to 2TB, if you do not have paddles, you have to FDL-code paddles to nicht_aktiv/verbaut. Similarly, 6NS VO coding should be followed by FDL coding to switch back microphone number to one.

Also, switching back and forth between 2TB & 205 will result in EGS errors. There is reset procedure in ISTA+ (BMW diagnostic software) that detects and appropriately records what hardware is (or not) present.
Appreciate 1
fhlh37.50
      04-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #142
luntik
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
When coding to 2TB, if you do not have paddles, you have to FDL-code paddles to nicht_aktiv/verbaut. Similarly, 6NS VO coding should be followed by FDL coding to switch back microphone number to one.
It's much easier just not to code FEM via FA
And he said that he hadn't done it
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #143
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luntik View Post
It's much easier just not to code FEM via FA
And he said that he hadn't done it
VO coding is easier as E-sys makes all the necessary FDL changes for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #144
SirVilhelm
Rep

Hello! I have a 2014 328i, no paddle shifters. I read through the thread and want to make sure I understand. This would be the preferred way to code SAT correct?

Change 205 to 2TB from the vehicle FA
VO CODE EGS, ICM, and KOMBI
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #145
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVilhelm View Post
Hello! I have a 2014 328i, no paddle shifters. I read through the thread and want to make sure I understand. This would be the preferred way to code SAT correct?

Change 205 to 2TB from the vehicle FA
VO CODE EGS, ICM, and KOMBI
Modify FA (205 to 2TB)
Load & Activate Modified FA
VO Code Fem_Body, EGS, ICM, DSC, & KOMBI

"Read Coding Data" for Fem_Body
Edit "PADDLES_VERBAUT" to nicht_aktiv
"Code FDL" to apply changes
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #146
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

can i code this on my F25 X3 with ZF8HP? Will this give me Sport+? I currently only go up to Sport. Thanks
      04-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #147
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSBMW View Post
can i code this on my F25 X3 with ZF8HP? Will this give me Sport+? I currently only go up to Sport. Thanks
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #148
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Yes
if you wouldnt mind explaining this to me like im 5... I've coded my car previously, key fob, dvd in motion, that kind of stuff... I've never messed with VO or anything like that. Would you mind giving me a quick tutorial?

thanks much
      04-13-2017, 01:51 AM   #149
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSBMW View Post
if you wouldnt mind explaining this to me like im 5... I've coded my car previously, key fob, dvd in motion, that kind of stuff... I've never messed with VO or anything like that. Would you mind giving me a quick tutorial?

thanks much
PM'd step-by-step pictorial guides. Let me know if you still have questions after looking over material.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #150
luntik
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Modify FA (205 to 2TB)
Load & Activate Modified FA
VO Code Fem_Body, EGS, ICM, DSC, & KOMBI

"Read Coding Data" for Fem_Body
Edit "PADDLES_VERBAUT" to nicht_aktiv
"Code FDL" to apply changes
Why should he code FEM?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #151
Dary
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 Imperial Blue 320i Xdrive

Quote:
PM'd step-by-step pictorial guides. Let me know if you still have questions after looking over material.
Could I get this PM as well?! Step by step would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #152
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary View Post
Could I get this PM as well?! Step by step would be awesome!
PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by luntik View Post
Why should he code FEM?
Because there are necessary coding changes & you do not want errors.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #153
SirVilhelm
Rep

Quote:
If the BMW Assist contract is still in place then BMW should replace the 2G with 3G under warranty. Go to https://bmwassistoffer.com/sunset/vin.htm and type in your VIN number, it will tell you if you are eligible for an upgrade.

It's my understanding that all 2014's came with a 10 year BMW assist standard, mine expires in Oct of 2024. I bought my 320i used from a private party. If they are telling you it's expired I'd call BS on it, make them tell you or show you that BMW Assist isn't transferrable to a 2nd owner. My understanding is these things are expensive to replace, they are not going out of their way to get them replaced.
Do you know if doing either option, upgrading or retiring BMW assist, will kill bluetooth streaming? I had to code it in, didn't come from dealership with it enabled. I am afraid by doing it they will someone disable that feature for good.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #154
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVilhelm View Post
Do you know if doing either option, upgrading or retiring BMW assist, will kill bluetooth streaming? I had to code it in, didn't come from dealership with it enabled. I am afraid by doing it they will someone disable that feature for good.
EBT will still work. ConnectedDrive remote features (eg, send destination to car) are what stop working if you retire.
Appreciate 0