F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F36 440i GC Carbon Black *Updated with new pics*
Studio RSR

09-17-2016, 03:58 AM   #89
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Although I run my Boxster on Super unleaded, I'm just putting ordinary 95 RON in the 440i in view of the mileage and type of journeys that I undertake. There will be a small reduction in power but it is all relative. On the sticker in the fuel filler, it specifies 95 RON.

I've previously run comparisons of a couple of tanks of 95 RON followed by a couple of tanks of 98 in my 328i and the difference is marginal both in power and economy. I do however insist on filling with Shell or Esso regular.
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Ive only ever put optimax in mine since day 1, mainly due to lots of short trips that I do so want as much cleaning stuff in the lump as possible. Plus the extra cost is negligible with the miles I do.

The only time i have really noticed a big difference in fuel with with my old tvr. It hated bp fuel especially 95 ron, loved optimax and tescos 100 ron stuff with amazing causing so many pops and bangs it was great fun!
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #91
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

That reminds me there's no Shell station on my regular commute now, it changed to Texaco a few years back.

Anybody got an opinion on Texaco Super? My only other option is a mega-expensive BP station, or supermarket stuff.
      09-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #92
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Anybody got an opinion on Texaco Super?
Interested to know this too, I put Texaco Super in yesterday. I have no Shell options anywhere near my routes - lots of Texaco, one Esso, one BP and loads of supermarkets that I avoid.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:59 AM   #93
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Right, I am almost at 500 miles, so time for an update.

I just brimmed the tank yesterday, 29 litres or so. Since the last fill, the car has been used exclusively in the town and has dealt with some pretty bad congestion at times (e.g. just over 1 mile in about 30 minutes on Thursday evening). OBC was showing 24.8 mpg and Fuelly confirms 24.72 mpg over 160 miles. That's back to earth with a bump for economy, but my gut feel is that it's never going to be much worse than that for me and that it's fair enough for the use the car had.

Noticed the HUD (surround) reflection for the first time yesterday, nothing bad but a minor irritation. Still loving the HUD - it makes adhering to speed limits a doddle and following navigation instructions around a busy city MUCH easier.

Adaptive suspension is still wowing me. 'Nuff said, I bang on about it in every thread

The engine note is getting fruitier, even in comfort mode when accelerating slightly hard. The motor really does define the car and the driving experience, the smoothness and effortless power it brings make this an incredible drive. Really could not be any happier.

Had a short play over a few hundred metres in sports auto mode in the gearbox. Like that a lot! It will be unleashed regularly once the car is run in.

One downside. I'm sure you are all familiar with non-drivers and their door shutting habits . I had a passenger last week who shut the rear passenger door as if closing the Thames barrier by hand. The whump as she shut it was very noticeable. Only since then have I noticed a rattle from that corner of the car, so I fear that she has dislodged or damaged something within the door. With the music off, it's constantly there over any surface imperfections. I can't trace the noise when stationary, so it will probably be back for a check under warranty at some point.

Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      09-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #94
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
One downside. I'm sure you are all familiar with non-drivers and their door shutting habits . I had a passenger last week who shut the rear passenger door as if closing the Thames barrier by hand.
A bit ungentlemanly perhaps, but I'd have reversed over anyone doing that in my car.

I already have a ban list of people who'll scrape the leather, kick the trim, bang doors or touch windows.

I'm ordering butlers gloves for anyone touching the piano black trim.

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #95
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black stig View Post
A bit ungentlemanly perhaps, but I'd have reversed over anyone doing that in my car.

I already have a ban list of people who'll scrape the leather, kick the trim, bang doors or touch windows.

I know what you mean but she is family so she gets a pass!

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #96
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS. Previous - 440i GC

Quote:
Right, I am almost at 500 miles, so time for an update.

I just brimmed the tank yesterday, 29 litres or so. Since the last fill, the car has been used exclusively in the town and has dealt with some pretty bad congestion at times (e.g. just over 1 mile in about 30 minutes on Thursday evening). OBC was showing 24.8 mpg and Fuelly confirms 24.72 mpg over 160 miles. That's back to earth with a bump for economy, but my gut feel is that it's never going to be much worse than that for me and that it's fair enough for the use the car had.

Noticed the HUD (surround) reflection for the first time yesterday, nothing bad but a minor irritation. Still loving the HUD - it makes adhering to speed limits a doddle and following navigation instructions around a busy city MUCH easier.

Adaptive suspension is still wowing me. 'Nuff said, I bang on about it in every thread

The engine note is getting fruitier, even in comfort mode when accelerating slightly hard. The motor really does define the car and the driving experience, the smoothness and effortless power it brings make this an incredible drive. Really could not be any happier.

Had a short play over a few hundred metres in sports auto mode in the gearbox. Like that a lot! It will be unleashed regularly once the car is run in.

One downside. I'm sure you are all familiar with non-drivers and their door shutting habits . I had a passenger last week who shut the rear passenger door as if closing the Thames barrier by hand. The whump as she shut it was very noticeable. Only since then have I noticed a rattle from that corner of the car, so I fear that she has dislodged or damaged something within the door. With the music off, it's constantly there over any surface imperfections. I can't trace the noise when stationary, so it will probably be back for a check under warranty at some point.
Thanks for the update! Very interesting.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #97
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean but she is family so she gets a pass!
My ban list is pretty much exclusively family.

Appreciate 2
      09-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #98
Redandy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i GS/CR

Quote:

Using the windows to shut the door - now that is unforgivable!! My mother bless her did it once - she has never repeated the act
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #99
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Back from 8 days on holiday in Vienna and Munich.

Saw some seriously good economy on the 100 mile Heathrow runs having topped off the tank before leaving - an early morning quick-ish run there in pouring rain returned 35.3mpg on the OBC.

Last night's return was a slower one - being tired after subways, 4.5 hours on the train from Munich to Vienna and a couple of hours of BA A320 plus assorted hanging around. It was time to let the comfort of the 440i do it's thing and soothe us on the last leg. Start to finish, including Heathrow queues and exit, was 60.5mph and 43.3mpg. I think that's astounding for the performance on offer, around a 25% penalty on the E90 320d on this run.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #100
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

F36 440i GC Collection - *UPDATE with clean car pics*

Gave her the much overdue first wash on Saturday. Standard snowfoam and two bucket wash with Carlack 68 shampoo.

Given that my snowfoam attachment is on it's last legs and produces pretty crap foam, I was very impressed with how the dirt ran off with the foam and how easy the paint was to clean. I'll give credit to the BMW ProtectX treatment for this, it clearly has some benefit and was applied well by my dealer.

Here are a few pics, showing the carbon black in the shade and sunlight.
Attached Images

Last edited by MashinBenzin; 10-19-2016 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
Grant_72020.50
      10-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #101
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking good!

Chameleon paint job that one. Black, Tanzanite Blue, matt white with bubbles.

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #102
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Noticed the HUD (surround) reflection for the first time yesterday
Is this a constant issue or only in certain light?

NOTE: i don't have the HUD but under certain lighting conditions you get the reflection of where the HUD should have gone, reminding me i was too poor to afford the option

Quote:
With the music off, it's constantly there over any surface imperfections. I can't trace the noise when stationary, so it will probably be back for a check under warranty at some point.
Did you get this fixed, or is this the start of the adaptive suspension rattle

are you still enjoying the car and engine choice?

BTW: i like the colour lovely looking car

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 02:44 AM   #103
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looking good!

Chameleon paint job that one. Black, Tanzanite Blue, matt white with bubbles.
It certainly is a chameleon, just what I hoped for, a really amazing colour. I like the matt white/bubbles look on any car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
Is this a constant issue or only in certain light?

NOTE: i don't have the HUD but under certain lighting conditions you get the reflection of where the HUD should have gone, reminding me i was too poor to afford the option

Did you get this fixed, or is this the start of the adaptive suspension rattle

are you still enjoying the car and engine choice?

BTW: i like the colour lovely looking car
The HUD reflection is definitely not constant, just under certain bright light conditions and then it still depends on direction. Any slight distraction causes is vastly outweighed by not needing to be distracted by the instrument panel.

I haven't bothered getting the door rattle fixed yet and will probably wait until the first service, it's only noticeable with the music off and over bad surfaces. re adaptive suspension rattle, I am 90% sure it's not that. The sequence of events was:

1. 400 or so miles of no rattle
2. pick up non-relative, who slams the door in a way that absolutely made me wince. Bear in mind that these are frameless doors. You could feel the pressure change/air rush as she hurled it closed, in a way that only non-drivers ever do.
3. drop off relative, note rattle from the door that she slammed.
4. I'll be using the wife's Auris for any further trips with her.

Thanks re the lovely looking car, I am very happy with it Yes, totally happy with the car and engine choice. The smoothness and power of the 440i is fantastic, it's a pleasure every time you feel the revs pick up. The engine defines the car in my view. Combined with the adaptive (as you may have read me say elsewhere ) it makes for the almost-perfect car.

Why only almost...I don't believe any car can be perfect in every way. I'd love less road noise at motorway speeds. Something like a 5-series would cure that failing for me, but would leave me unhappy in other areas. I do think the 440i GC is as close to perfection as I could have hoped for, a brilliant car

Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      10-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #104
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Glad you're still enjoying her. How many miles have you racked up so far?

And, the biggie...are you thinking of getting MPPSK?
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 03:56 AM   #105
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Glad you're still enjoying her. How many miles have you racked up so far?
Just passed 800 miles, how about you? With the urban commute, the miles mount very slowly - 400 of my miles are from the combination of the drive home from the dealer and one return trip to Heathrow. I'm going to sign her off as 'run in' any day now, as I figure the number of gear changes and rev changes/engine wear would be the same as 1200 miles in more typical use.

Quote:
And, the biggie...are you thinking of getting MPPSK?
I've thought about it as it looks immense fun, but we have a baby on the way and already bought a new house plus the car this year...so I think it's time to cap the spending

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #106
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hi mate,

Firstly, congrats for the baby on the way Your first? If so, then now's the time to sneak MPPSK in as it'll be a lot harder once little MashinBenzin is here!

I've just driven back from the Detailers having not been seen the car since Sat morning. Man it was good to be back, and the MPPSK was just awesome. I 100% believe it makes the car. It's brilliant.

Having been on holiday for a week and not been using the car for a few days, my mileage is at 1300 or so at present. But then again my daily commute is 75 miles, so it does rack up when I'm doing it. Probably why I get such good mpg!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #107
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh and thanks for sharing the pics. Carbon Black really is a stunning colour
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #108
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,

Firstly, congrats for the baby on the way Your first? If so, then now's the time to sneak MPPSK in as it'll be a lot harder once little MashinBenzin is here!

I've just driven back from the Detailers having not been seen the car since Sat morning. Man it was good to be back, and the MPPSK was just awesome. I 100% believe it makes the car. It's brilliant.

Having been on holiday for a week and not been using the car for a few days, my mileage is at 1300 or so at present. But then again my daily commute is 75 miles, so it does rack up when I'm doing it. Probably why I get such good mpg!
Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated

Really like the feedback on the MPPSK, it does sound great in many ways. I would also be concerned about the extra bellow in sports mode though TBH. Spending so much time in heavy traffic going from traffic light to roundabout to traffic light, I will like to dip into sport occasionally for the extra response. But without attracting as much attention as the MPPSK will. I'd probably like it to have three modes - equivalent to standard comfort, standard sport, then full on hilarity

Looking forward to the detailing pics on yours glad you are enjoying the car and that getting it back reminded you what you had missed!

Quote:
Oh and thanks for sharing the pics. Carbon Black really is a stunning colour
No probs, I love the colour, looks great on anything, including MarkG_M50d 's stunning X5. Good to have the chance to photograph it clean!

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #109
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Grant7 realised that i didn't answer part of your question on the forthcoming little MB - yes, he/she will be our first :-) The F36 was ordered with the idea of us needing a little extra practicality!

Also, just to mention that I've been driving the wife's Auris today. It's very amusing that the throttle response on that is catching me out - twice i have had to tap the brake after accelerating harder from standstill than intended, as it responds to a pedal prod with more urgency than my car in comfort mode.

So that's going from 320ish bhp to 133bhp and a CVT, and getting caught out by the strong power delivery

I either need to hand in my F30post membership card, or try Rukka 's throttle reset procedure. In the meantime, I don't dare press that 'Sport' button lurking on the Auris centre console

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #110
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats on your impending arrival!

Get the car cleaned, waxed and fully protected now as you're not going to have much time to do it from now on. And don't forget, things like MPPSK add background noise which helps soothe little ones (seriously!)...just saying
Appreciate 1