F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Light white smoke coming from lower downpipe joint after install?
proTUNING Freaks

03-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Light white smoke coming from lower downpipe joint after install?

Just installed VRSF catted downpipe and noticed that white smoke was lightly coming out from the lower joint after a min or so after startup. It doesn't get worse with rev.

Is this exhaust leak? Or is it normal for new downpipe to burn off excess oil/residue from manufacturing? Would exhaust leak smoke be black? I spray a shit ton of PBBlaster on the oil joint to get the bolts off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      03-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Just installed VRSF catted downpipe and noticed that white smoke was lightly coming out from the lower joint after a min or so after startup. It doesn't get worse with rev.

Is this exhaust leak? Or is it normal for new downpipe to burn off excess oil/residue from manufacturing? Would exhaust leak smoke be black? I spray a shit ton of PBBlaster on the oil joint to get the bolts off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
When I installed mine I noticed a little bit of smoke/smell initially but it went away. I think it's excess junk getting burned off in combination with the PB Blaster. Just keep an eye on it but IMO nothing to worry about.
      03-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
When I installed mine I noticed a little bit of smoke/smell initially but it went away. I think it's excess junk getting burned off in combination with the PB Blaster. Just keep an eye on it but IMO nothing to worry about.
Thanks! That's very assuring.
      03-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If you see exhaust coming out of the gasket/joint, then you have an exhaust leak and need to address it. The lower exhaust gasket/v-clamp must be replaced when doing a downpipe swap or else you run a high risk of a leak.
      03-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you see exhaust coming out of the gasket/joint, then you have an exhaust leak and need to address it. The lower exhaust gasket/v-clamp must be replaced when doing a downpipe swap or else you run a high risk of a leak.
I got all new OEM V camps + toothed ring. Exhaust smoke would be black, no? And the smoking would be more aggressive with more throttle?

Thanks
      03-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
I got all new OEM V camps + toothed ring. Exhaust smoke would be black, no? And the smoking would be more aggressive with more throttle?

Thanks
Exhaust shouldn't have a color. Sometimes there's moisture that will give it a white appearance. The best way to check for a leak is to let the exhaust piping cool completely, then get under the car, start it, and using your hands, but not touching joints/gasket areas/pipes, feel for pulsating air and listen for hissing. You'll feel some heat radiating from the pipe as it warms up, but warm/hot pulsating air is you're looking for. Sometimes an exhaust leak will have rust in the area because cats create water and it leaks out.

When you install new exhaust components, they typically smoke as they are often coated in machining oil to prevent rusting. That oil burns off within the first hour or so of running. It's quite possible that's all that you saw.
      03-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exhaust shouldn't have a color. Sometimes there's moisture that will give it a white appearance. The best way to check for a leak is to let the exhaust piping cool completely, then get under the car, start it, and using your hands, but not touching joints/gasket areas/pipes, feel for pulsating air and listen for hissing. You'll feel some heat radiating from the pipe as it warms up, but warm/hot pulsating air is you're looking for. Sometimes an exhaust leak will have rust in the area because cats create water and it leaks out.

When you install new exhaust components, they typically smoke as they are often coated in machining oil to prevent rusting. That oil burns off within the first hour or so of running. It's quite possible that's all that you saw.

Cool! Will do. Thanks
      03-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Quote:

Cool! Will do. Thanks
Has it gone away yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

All good now. Car is a beast!