F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Mineral White Paint Touch Up Tips and Help
Studio RSR

10-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
AWP1892
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d

Mineral White Paint Touch Up Tips and Help

Got my Mineral White 328d Saturday and the previous owner used Alpine White touch up paint to try to fix some chips. Why would anyone do this, I don't know. Essentially I am in need of help on a few things.

1. What do you guys recommend for removing the paint that is the wrong color?

2. Are there any tips or tricks to using touch up paint on this color? I have seen from various aftermarket touch up paint providers that the paint is a tri-coat, and that it is difficult to touch up without respraying the entire panel. That is not an option at this point.

Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Polish + elbow grease + time will take off the excess glob in the first photo. Acetone on a Q-tip will be faster, but don't leave it on too long as it can soften the paint. Once it's cleaned up, wash the area well, then allow to dry completely before touching up. Find some touch-up brushes (Amazon, eBay, local auto body supply shop) - they are finer than the brush that comes with the paint from BMW. They come as 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 mm tips.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Airbrushing...ster-Cleaning/

2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

For future touch up use: Dr ColorChip

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

That looks like previous owner used whiteout! Brutal job and not even a close colour match. I have good luck with dr.ColorChip and those chips look like the size it is made to handle.
Could be some fun getting old paint off! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
AWP1892
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d

Alright I was able to get the old paint off but the Dr. ColorChip match on this color is not good at all. They give you the seemingly standard "tri-coat warning" but when they said a single color application I figured it would be a cream color with metallic flakes. Instead it is simply the base coat, so basically white.

The best I have been able to do is with paintscratch.com's base coat, mid coat, clear coat system as the mid coat gives you the pearl somewhat. It has been extremely difficult to match and in doing so you have to apply various amounts of the mid coat. This means that you are left with sometimes large bumps of paint, and if you wet sand these to try to smooth them over you sand off the mid coat layers.

I feel dumb going to a body shop to fix some paint chips but I think that might be my next step. The one on the passenger side door is actually around the size of a dime so it is fairly large.
Appreciate 0