F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cheap car/bike tracking - Apple Airtag
GetBMWParts

05-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Cheap car/bike tracking - Apple Airtag

Obviously if you're a sinner (Android user) this won't apply.

£29 for an apple airtag, battery lasts a year. Seems a decent and easy thing to hide in the car for anyone that doesn't want to pay £££ for vehicle tracking or perhaps has a car that is at lower risk end of theft.

There's 'anti-stalking' features such as alerting users to an airtag that's travelling with them but isn't theirs - but - looks like that only happens if the person takes the tag back to their home address. Idea is if you put a tag in your hand luggage or similar it's not going to start notifying airport workers they're being tracked.
There's a noise that users can then play to locate the tag if they're notified (by that point you'd hope you'd have found where your car is anyway) but - stalkers look away now - looks like the speaker can be easily disabled.
Might get one to conceal on the bike as well...
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      05-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Not sure it's of any use for a car tracker - it relies on Bluetooth to your phone so range of <100m .......
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Not sure it's of any use for a car tracker - it relies on Bluetooth to your phone so range of <100m .......
It uses any compatible apple device within range similar to 'find my phone' feature.

Watched a video on YouTube where the guy left it under a park bench and by the time he got home it had been 'found' (his phone telling him where his tag was) tens of times. So as long as any iPhone user is within range of the tag, you'll know where it is. Since so many people use iPhones now, unless it's somewhere remote then seems a pretty high chance
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Similar to tile then. Except tile is android too.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Similar to tile then. Except tile is android too.
No tile relies on other tile users. Airtag will ping off ANY compatible apple device inc iPads etc. Considering how many people have one of those, far higher chance of the tag being found I think
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

These things sound amazing, I suspect I'll probably order a few and use them when travelling and maybe on the MTB if I can give it a test to see how well it transmits out of a carbon frame. I looked at Tiles before but they seemed quite hampered by only being able to speak via other Tiles, whereas Apple devices are everywhere so the network is that much bigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #7
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
These things sound amazing, I suspect I'll probably order a few and use them when travelling and maybe on the MTB if I can give it a test to see how well it transmits out of a carbon frame. I looked at Tiles before but they seemed quite hampered by only being able to speak via other Tiles, whereas Apple devices are everywhere so the network is that much bigger.
There's a guy on YouTube who's already mounted one inside his carbon frame via the bottom bracket and apparently it worked fine. Unfortunately I've got a pressfit so it's a bit too much of a pain but hopefully find another good spot!
Was a bit skeptical about the range/bluetooth as I looked at some of the others before, but having watched a few videos these seem really decent
Appreciate 0